Los Gatos United Joining ECNL

Heard LGU coaches are telling players they signed agreement with ECNL and are using this information to recruit. ECNL in Norcal is Pro/Rel, but has mentioned before they would add anyone they deem worthy of being accepted or not. Sharing it to see if anyone else has heard the same.

ECNL is promotion/relegation league in NorCal? How does that work? Could they be looking at getting into ECNL/RL to try and get into ECNL. LG doesn't seem to be large enough to have ECNL looking to add them.

Heard LGU coaches are telling players they signed agreement with ECNL and are using this information to recruit. ECNL in Norcal is Pro/Rel, but has mentioned before they would add anyone they deem worthy of being accepted or not. Sharing it to see if anyone else has heard the same.

Girls? Boys? Both

ECNL does not have Pro/Reg….period!
In NorCal last year there was a structure that allowed promotion of top NPL teams into regional ECNL play. I believe the teams were solidified into the NorCal conference this year but I’m not too sure on the boys side.

This may be what the poster is referring to.

In NorCal last year there was a structure that allowed promotion of top NPL teams into regional ECNL play. I believe the teams were solidified into the NorCal conference this year but I’m not too sure on the boys side.

This may be what the poster is referring to.
Fair, but it’s not ECNL Pro/Reg.

Guessing it would the girls that would join the newly formed ECNL Norcal league. It's also possible that the rumored ECNL Boys Promotion/Relegation idea is scrapped. ECNL could be expanding?

Guessing it would the girls that would join the newly formed ECNL Norcal league. It's also possible that the rumored ECNL Boys Promotion/Relegation idea is scrapped. ECNL could be expanding?

I'm definitely conflicted on that pro/rel stuff. On one hand it puts too much of an emphasis on results, on the other hand there needs to be some competitive parity in the league. I think I'd lean more towards wanting it scrapped.

Another twist to this rumor....LG girls were recently added to Girls Academy. Could this be a sign that this league is falling apart after other high level departures? (Bay Area Surf)

The big challenge i see with ECNL pro/rel is that NPL does not operate in the same fashion as ECNL. NPL promotion is based on individual teams, right? A club with two really good age groups may not even have NPL teams in the other age groups.

Another twist to this rumor....LG girls were recently added to Girls Academy. Could this be a sign that this league is falling apart after other high level departures? (Bay Area Surf)

The big challenge i see with ECNL pro/rel is that NPL does not operate in the same fashion as ECNL. NPL promotion is based on individual teams, right? A club with two really good age groups may not even have NPL teams in the other age groups.

Right, that's what I've heard too. Plus how do you reason about the timing with tryouts, etc? It's not like an NPL season ends before ECNL. I think you'd end up seeing a bunch of players from clubs close to relegation trying out all over the place. Seems like a huge mess.

There is no way in my opinion they will add a FOURTH girls ECNL club in the condensed area of Mountain View to San Jose . Even on the boys side, there is MVLA, surf, and force. I call BS on the rumor....for now but never doubt coaches may be telling parents that!

In regards to boys Pro/Rel I've heard it's not even spelled out exactly how that will work. Seems tough to have it when it's half way through the season and everyone doesn't know those exact rules.

Pro/Rel would be tough for the girls right now because NPL is the worst it's ever been talent wise this fall. The boys may be different and more quality teams who can hang in ECNL.

There is no way in my opinion they will add a FOURTH girls ECNL club in the condensed area of Mountain View to San Jose . Even on the boys side, there is MVLA, surf, and force. I call BS on the rumor....for now but never doubt coaches may be telling parents that!

In regards to boys Pro/Rel I've heard it's not even spelled out exactly how that will work. Seems tough to have it when it's half way through the season and everyone doesn't know those exact rules.

Pro/Rel would be tough for the girls right now because NPL is the worst it's ever been talent wise this fall. The boys may be different and more quality teams who can hang in ECNL.

Does LG even have strong sides at the older age groups?

I'm definitely conflicted on that pro/rel stuff. On one hand it puts too much of an emphasis on results, on the other hand there needs to be some competitive parity in the league. I think I'd lean more towards wanting it scrapped.
The other option is to use the fall results to create the spring schedule. It’s what NPL and some AYSO chapters do. Once you know a team is 1-8 or 8-1 within norcal, you don’t really need to replay the exact same schedule. You already know what the spring season will look like.

Does LG even have strong sides at the older age groups?

State rankings of their top girls team for each age group in LGU as of 11/8:

2012 (48th)
2011 (51st)
2010 (48th)
2009 (60th)
2008 (90th)
2007 (104th)
2006 (190th)

For what it's worth, existing top ECNL teams in this area have teams in the top 5-10 in most age groups. MVLA as one example:

2012 (13th)
2011 (18th)
2010 (4th)
2009 (4th)
2008 (8th)
2007 (2nd)
2006 (5th)

Not sure what's happening on the girls side but on the boys side NorCal still has it's partnership with ECNL. Last year they promoted Salinas, Cal Odyssey, and San Jose Surf based on NPL results. There was no relegation. It is my understanding this year from our DOC that on the boys side one club will be promoted from NPL to ECNL (based on the standings someone else posted above it seems like it's Association FC) and then one club will be relegated to NPL from ECNL. Not sure what the relegation processes looks like but the standings document listed above has a whole tab detailing the promotion process in a lot of depth.

Back