Ideal roster size

Here’s an actual soccer topic. What’s the ideal roster size by age?

7v7 - U9 and U10
9v9 - U11 and U12

11v11-

U13 (70 minute games)
U14-U16 (80 minute games)
U17 + (90 minute games)

At 7 v. 7 my D’s team had 11.
At 9 v. 9 had 13 or 14
U13 had 15 with one keeper.
U14 going to 17 with 2 keepers.

That sound about right?

7v7 - 10: Equal playing time. No full time GK.
9v9 - 12 to14: GK and 2-3 players play full minutes. Every one play at least 50%.
11v11 - 16: GK and 4-5 players play full minutes. Starters play 60 to 75%. Every one play at least 40%.
In a perfect world it would be really nice and your absolutely on point, however in a normal So Cal world (pre-COVID) it would be very difficult.
Players get sick, injured, parents take them on trips in the middle of the season. Once they go to HS, they have Sat school or MUN or some other event.
More realistic numbers would be:
7v7 - 12: No full time GK - agree with that 00%
9v9 - 14: Still No full time GK
11v11 - 18: 2 goalkeepers and 16 field players. Both goalkeepers play on the field when not in goal.

In addition to roster size I think its very important for the coach to be upfront of the playing time associated with the roster spots. They also need to be upfront in regards to the roster being fixed or whether they plan to or might add players in the future. By upfront, I mean before the parents writes the first check to the club. I see too many times that a coach takes a kid, with no intent of playing the kid just to fill what he or she believes is the ideal roster size.

IMHO 18 kids is too many for 11v11 except maybe for some of the olders where injuries are common. I'd rather see 16 solid kids and risk being a little shorthanded on subs on occasion, than have 7 subs that have to be integrated throughout the game. I believe it interrupts the flow of the team and chemistry of the players with 7 subs. I'm OK with 18 if the coach is honest about roster spots 17-18 not seeing the field much unless they show improvement over the other players.

I prefer to 16 for 11v11, but my son's team has 18.
What happened was couple of players could not play or played less than 5 minutes at the game of all 18 players showed up. Obviously, 7 subs were too much.
If many got injured, or absent whatever reason, I think coach just need to invite guest players from lower tier team or younger age team in the club.
It is "pay to play", but generally speaking, players with "financial aid" play relatively longer time, since only good players can get the "financial aid" in the top team of the older age group. So, our case, two full paid stay bench almost all the time, and three players with "financial aid" play full minutes. It seems like the families of the two bench players donate their money for the "financial aid". I don't blame good players with financial aid playing longer time, but I think full paid players should play reasonable minutes at the "pay to play" model. I think the club should manage the roster size for everyone to play reasonable minutes even in the older age group. Many people says "Look at pro or college. Sub players might not play. It is common for high competitive environment." But they are not in "pay to play". If the coach believes the players are behind and he would not like to give them playing time, do not add them in the roster at the first place.

I prefer to 16 for 11v11, but my son's team has 18.
What happened was couple of players could not play or played less than 5 minutes at the game of all 18 players showed up. Obviously, 7 subs were too much.
If many got injured, or absent whatever reason, I think coach just need to invite guest players from lower tier team or younger age team in the club.
It is "pay to play", but generally speaking, players with "financial aid" play relatively longer time, since only good players can get the "financial aid" in the top team of the older age group. So, our case, two full paid stay bench almost all the time, and three players with "financial aid" play full minutes. It seems like the families of the two bench players donate their money for the "financial aid". I don't blame good players with financial aid playing longer time, but I think full paid players should play reasonable minutes at the "pay to play" model. I think the club should manage the roster size for everyone to play reasonable minutes even in the older age group. Many people says "Look at pro or college. Sub players might not play. It is common for high competitive environment." But they are not in "pay to play". If the coach believes the players are behind and he would not like to give them playing time, do not add them in the roster at the first place.
You are opening a big can of worms taking into consideration pay-to-play, scholarship etc into player number equation.
Just talking about number of players... Any good coach knows how to spread out time for each player, not only on 1 game basis, but throughout the whole season for the younger age group.
For older ages there is nothing wrong with players earning their starting spot, otherwise there is recreational soccer option.

You are opening a big can of worms taking into consideration pay-to-play, scholarship etc into player number equation.
Just talking about number of players... Any good coach knows how to spread out time for each player, not only on 1 game basis, but throughout the whole season for the younger age group.
For older ages there is nothing wrong with players earning their starting spot, otherwise there is recreational soccer option.
Even for olders, I’m not looking for a team that only plays the top kids. I have no problem with cuts, but don’t put someone on the team who isn’t good enough to put on the field.

Even for olders, I’m not looking for a team that only plays the top kids. I have no problem with cuts, but don’t put someone on the team who isn’t good enough to put on the field.
and right there that's it. If a kid is not strong enough to play for a team, don't add them. Yes, I know it's $'s when you add a player but as a coach it causes you playing time headaches and from a players' perspective, it's simply unfair. If someone tries out and they are not at the required standard for your team, don't add them and smile about the $'s...point them in the direction of another team that is likely a better fit. Simple enough.

I'll hold my hands up; I was wrong about roster sizes years ago when I started in club (for olders anyway). I thought 16 was enough for 11v11 as I wanted to maximize playing time but the reality for teams of high school age is that injuries mean you will lose players during the season, that's almost a certainty. Having a bigger roster is necessary for older teams IMO. Yes, you still want to get all players as much playing time as possible but you also want to make sure you don't end up playing games with 10 players (as happened to us a few times and it's embarrassing). As with everything, it's about finding the balance.

If a kid is not strong enough to play for a team, don't add them.

Is that always true, though? A kid with a work ethic can punch their way up, especially if they work on fitting into a coach's system. Brayden may not be able to hit that cross today, but even as the 18th player they can get better faster when they're scrimmaging against their peers. Will they improve as quickly playing for the flight 3 or bronze team?

Is that always true, though? A kid with a work ethic can punch their way up, especially if they work on fitting into a coach's system. Brayden may not be able to hit that cross today, but even as the 18th player they can get better faster when they're scrimmaging against their peers. Will they improve as quickly playing for the flight 3 or bronze team?
If you want to make a long term bet on work ethic, that’s fine.

Part of the ante for that bet is accepting a loss or two early in the season as he makes mistakes in real games.

I don’t think he joined the team just for the scrimmages.

I understand what you are saying but that wasn't my point. I will always invest time and patience into developing any player but my point was this; if they are clearly not at the level for the team, don't add them to 'fill a spot' and bring in some cash. It happens a lot, we all know that and we also know what happens 95% of the time; the kid hardly plays and their time is wasted.

I understand what you are saying but that wasn't my point. I will always invest time and patience into developing any player but my point was this; if they are clearly not at the level for the team, don't add them to 'fill a spot' and bring in some cash. It happens a lot, we all know that and we also know what happens 95% of the time; the kid hardly plays and their time is wasted.
That was the issue in my sons 2011 team. The team was a flight 1 team but since they only had 8 plus full time goalie (parents was force to have he’s kid play goalie) they filled in spot with one kid who unbalance the team when it came it to game time and another who was too young(2012) to be playing up a year. Just to fill spots , you’re right if they can’t be at the level of the team why fill that spot. Work with what you have. Player need to learn to work hard in practice and not think they can just play because their parents paid and same goes for the parents. I just started coaching this last year flight 3 team. I tell the parents straight out your son has to work hard no positions are set no players are guaranteed full playing time. Yes developing is key but if the player/s bring the level of the team down. The players need to work hard in order to be set to play a game. Kids get frustrated at times when a player Can’t keep up at a certain level. The team moral goes down and they just give up.

How does one determine if a kid is good enough? I’m trying to get into US soccer but it’s hard. Most games at the MLS/NWSL level are overly physical and lack skill. The lack of skill is even more prominent in the youth game. The majority of the games I see consist of someone booting the ball downfield and then a foot race ensues.

So are the good kids that you are referring just the most physical? Again, I don’t see a lot of skill so couldn’t the “lower level” kids just work on their conditioning to come up to speed?

There have been times that bubble kid was added and there may be a good reason for it. The kid truly is a bubble player and has a much better chance of improving when he/she trains with the 1st team 3 days a week, etc. Perhaps the 2nd team is dying and there's that 1 remaining player that has been loyal and/or works hard... the club wants to keep them because they see potential, etc.

But the coach has to have a very candid conversation with the family. There has to be a 'signing off' on the process and I've actually seen that work. I don't think you can do it with 18-20 on the roster, though, because you've already got too many players not getting minutes unless there's an ACL or menstrual pandemic. I watched a girl go from "B" team to National camp invites in a little over 2 seasons. Incredible work rate and natural ability... but it happened.

My DD's team had 16 last year, and we were down to 12 by the end of the year due to injuries. Good for the parents but tough on the kids at times. These days it seems every sister team plays in a different league, so borrowing players might be more difficult. Not sure if ECNL and ECRL can share players without dual rostering them early on, but you certainly can't borrow/loan players from/to the SCDSL sister team.

Our first coach (8v8 with 10 kids) spelled out the playing time rules at the first parents' meeting:
-Everyone plays in league games. At least 50% playing time.
-Everyone plays in tournament group games. At least 50% playing time.
-Everyone plays in tournament playoff games. No guarantee on % of playing time.
-State Cup: 100% coach's discretion.

Not everyone agrees with every rule. But as long as the coach is transparent, it's all good.

That was the issue in my sons 2011 team. The team was a flight 1 team but since they only had 8 plus full time goalie (parents was force to have he’s kid play goalie) they filled in spot with one kid who unbalance the team when it came it to game time and another who was too young(2012) to be playing up a year. Just to fill spots , you’re right if they can’t be at the level of the team why fill that spot. Work with what you have. Player need to learn to work hard in practice and not think they can just play because their parents paid and same goes for the parents. I just started coaching this last year flight 3 team. I tell the parents straight out your son has to work hard no positions are set no players are guaranteed full playing time. Yes developing is key but if the player/s bring the level of the team down. The players need to work hard in order to be set to play a game. Kids get frustrated at times when a player Can’t keep up at a certain level. The team moral goes down and they just give up.
Weak players bring the level of the game down. True enough, but are we talking about Bundesliga or 8 year old kids?

I know coaches will tell parents “no guaranteed playing time”.

How often does a coach have the stones to add “and right now, your son isn’t good enough.”?

Almost never. @Messi>CR7 had it right. Honesty is key.

In a perfect world it would be really nice and your absolutely on point, however in a normal So Cal world (pre-COVID) it would be very difficult.
Players get sick, injured, parents take them on trips in the middle of the season. Once they go to HS, they have Sat school or MUN or some other event.
More realistic numbers would be:
7v7 - 12: No full time GK - agree with that 00%
9v9 - 14: Still No full time GK
11v11 - 18: 2 goalkeepers and 16 field players. Both goalkeepers play on the field when not in goal.
I like this but not sure 16 is enough. Have seen Girls u14 and up take multiple ACL injuries in a season and then as players play more minutes they become susceptible. One team last year had 4 girls all out for the season with ACL. With a team of 16 that leaves one sub in 11v11. I would say boost that to 17 or 18 as the games and seasons get longer or have a semi permanent set of players to borrow.

I like this but not sure 16 is enough. Have seen Girls u14 and up take multiple ACL injuries in a season and then as players play more minutes they become susceptible. One team last year had 4 girls all out for the season with ACL. With a team of 16 that leaves one sub in 11v11. I would say boost that to 17 or 18 as the games and seasons get longer or have a semi permanent set of players to borrow.
It really depends. If you have a second team for the same age group, it is better to carry less. Especially if you are adding just for numbers, and not players that could help the team. In case of injury, you move up 1, 2 or even 3 players to help fill in. Usually, there won’t be much difference between the top players on the second team, and the bottom players of the top team.

Back