House v NCAA D1 ruling and walk-ons?

Kante

PREMIER
Hi all,
Had a quick request for any informed opinions and/or feedback from coaches on how the House v NCAA ruling will affect walk-on opportunities.

Obviously, the roster cap of 28 will make the process much more competitive but any informed insight would be welcome.

My son is attending college for the 2024-25 year and was invited by the head coach to walk-on in January 2025 (coach expressed significant interest but had already offered all his 2024 spots).

And yes, I know, "talk to the coach" ... there's not many additional specifics being provided post ruling, which may just be how it is for now...

Hi all,
Had a quick request for any informed opinions and/or feedback from coaches on how the House v NCAA ruling will affect walk-on opportunities.

Obviously, the roster cap of 28 will make the process much more competitive but any informed insight would be welcome.

My son is attending college for the 2024-25 year and was invited by the head coach to walk-on in January 2025 (coach expressed significant interest but had already offered all his 2024 spots).

And yes, I know, "talk to the coach" ... there's not many additional specifics being provided post ruling, which may just be how it is for now...
With the exception of a few sports, I thought the roster limit was also the scholarship limit as well (assuming the school has enough money to honor that many scholarships). Which effectively would eliminate the "walk-on" opportunities. Is this not the case for soccer?

Question.. Is it true all D1 soccer players get a full scholarship for the next school year? September 2025? I feel like people are misinforming me.

Thanks for any feedback!!

Question.. Is it true all D1 soccer players get a full scholarship for the next school year? September 2025? I feel like people are misinforming me.

Thanks for any feedback!!
No. All sports are equivalency sports instead of headcount sports now, i.e. school can give partial scholarship to any athlete. This is stated in the House settlement.

In another word, while men's soccer is now allowed to hand out 28 full scholarships, not one school (IMHO) will do that.

The settlement is currently in hold. A judge in california blocked the settlement and wants changes. If it falls apart the settlement goes back to court.
Correct, and the reason it was blocked by a judge was because NCAA wants to control players NIL $$$ through collectives. If NCAA was able to setup collectives for paying NIL they can gatekeep who and how NIL is paid to players.

The other aspect of the house case that people aren't talking about is that it will likely go to court again in 10 years. Also student athletes that went though before the dates the house case cover are now sueing NCAA asking for $$$.

The limited feedback I've heard from 2025 football grads is a bit of a mess in terms of recruiting. In particular, for special team kids or kids that would by farther down the line for scholarship opportunities.

The big difference is that most schools will likely fund all football scholarships, whereas, probably not so much for soccer.

With the exception of a few sports, I thought the roster limit was also the scholarship limit as well (assuming the school has enough money to honor that many scholarships). Which effectively would eliminate the "walk-on" opportunities. Is this not the case for soccer?
Nice to see not much has changed watfly, still a big bag of cheer...

There's no reason that the proposed scholarship/roster cap would eliminate walk-on oppty's.

If a walkon player is good enough to help coach not have to recruit one spot for the next year, then presumably coach will go with that walkon kid.

However, the roster cap effectively will make it more difficult to walk on since there is a hard limit to the roster spots.

Question to the group. If the team chooses not to award 28 scholarships, do they still have to abide by the 28 roster cap, according to the proposed settlement?

Not sure what you mean by this?
There's no reason that the proposed scholarship/roster cap would eliminate walk-on oppty's.

If a walkon player is good enough to help coach not have to recruit one spot for the next year, then presumably coach will go with that walkon kid.

However, the roster cap effectively will make it more difficult to walk on since there is a hard limit to the roster spots.
Makes sense, we will just have to wait to see what happens in reality.

Best of luck to your kid. It's tough with all this uncertainty.

Question to the group. If the team chooses not to award 28 scholarships, do they still have to abide by the 28 roster cap, according to the proposed settlement?
Prior to all the proposed changes, what was the typical college soccer roster size? Was it much more than 28? If it wasn't, this seems like a net positive for soccer players. If rosters were much larger, than its probably a net negative.

Correct, and the reason it was blocked by a judge was because NCAA wants to control players NIL $$$ through collectives. If NCAA was able to setup collectives for paying NIL they can gatekeep who and how NIL is paid to players.

The other aspect of the house case that people aren't talking about is that it will likely go to court again in 10 years. Also student athletes that went though before the dates the house case cover are now sueing NCAA asking for $$$.
The NCAAA won't be able to control NIL. That was the whole point if the Supreme court ruling.

Also there now multiple lawsuits against the settlement. Both from schools and athletes, South Dakota board of regents, female athletes, former athletes etc..

Most likely the settlement is going to fail. The lawsuit returns to court and goes in front of a jury. This could be the final nail in the NCAA.

Walk ons will on a practice squads.
Prior to all the proposed changes, what was the typical college soccer roster size? Was it much more than 28? If it wasn't, this seems like a net positive for soccer players. If rosters were much larger, than its probably a net negative.
Average roster size for Power 5 was 33-35 for womens, 30-31 for men.

With 28 full available scholarships it will push most talent to the top best schools with money that can stockpile 28 players. They will pull older pro foreign and proven transfer portal players.

None of this will matter if schools start cutting non revenue sports because of revenue gaps.

I am hearing from some college coaches that several big schools are planning to fully scholarship every single roster spot on every single sports team. All on full scholarships, Sec and Big10 specifically.

Some schools will double the number of scholarship athletes.

But the total number of athletes at each school will go down due to roster limits.

I am hearing from some college coaches that several big schools are planning to fully scholarship every single roster spot on every single sports team. All on full scholarships, Sec and Big10 specifically.

But the total number of athletes at each school will go down due to roster limits.
Wow. This would be huge!

When is this settlement/court hearing scheduled to take place? This will be the deciding factor to whether or not D1 receive full scholarships? Am I understanding this correctly?

Thank you!

When is this settlement/court hearing scheduled to take place? This will be the deciding factor to whether or not D1 receive full scholarships? Am I understanding this correctly?

Thank you!
This hearing might be postponed and there could be other delays.

Most importantly, even if this settlement is approved and goes into full force at all d1 schools, it does not guarantee all D1 athletes will receive full scholarships. This settlement ALLOWS D1 schools to give full scholarships (previously the NCAA limited the scholarship numbers) but with this settlement, the decision for the number of scholarships will shift from the NCAA to each individual school. Schools can decide not to give any athletic scholarships like the Ivys, keep the same at 13 scholarships, give 28 full scholarships, or come up with random number between 0-28 scholarships that best fits their athletic program.

This would be great for all athletes because athletics in college makes it difficult to work during college.

Back