G2010...How's the Season Going 21-22?

SoccerFan6

SILVER ELITE
The 20-21 season was crazy, and I for one am glad to put it in the past. The upcoming season basically starts now, and I'm hopeful it will be normal with summer tournaments, fall league, and winter state cup. Here's a new thread to discuss this season. Which teams are getting stronger? Which teams are losing players? What tournaments are teams going to attend? What teams should be the top teams? My picks:
San Diego - Surf and Albion
Orange County - Blues and Slammers PA
East - Arsenal
LA/North - Eagles and Ole
Who am I missing?

On the other thread someone mentioned Slammers is picking up some of the Blues players, including #10 and #6 who both didn't play in the State Cup semi? Is this true? Who else did they pick up?

The 20-21 season was crazy, and I for one am glad to put it in the past. The upcoming season basically starts now, and I'm hopeful it will be normal with summer tournaments, fall league, and winter state cup. Here's a new thread to discuss this season. Which teams are getting stronger? Which teams are losing players? What tournaments are teams going to attend? What teams should be the top teams? My picks:
San Diego - Surf and Albion
Orange County - Blues and Slammers PA
East - Arsenal
LA/North - Eagles and Ole
Who am I missing?

On the other thread someone mentioned Slammers is picking up some of the Blues players, including #10 and #6 who both didn't play in the State Cup semi? Is this true? Who else did they pick up?

Don’t quote me on saying #10 and #6 went to Slammers PA. I just heard that Slammers parents are saying they picked up some players. Not sure if it’s those particular ones. All I know is that those 2 players were not present in the state cup game loss.

The 9v9 games I saw this season looked a bit messy and seemed to be turning into kickball. I feel like the 9v9 field felt big for the 2010s before the virus break, but by the time we started up again the field seemed small. The players are all bigger/stronger after the break, but their skills are a bit weaker due to the time off, and perhaps it was too tempting to just boot the ball and run. I agree that I'm glad this re-start season is over and looking forward to some better competition as more players return and the skills come back.

I was fortunate - (or unfortunate haha) to see the Slammers PA team this past weekend. They are solid! They should definitely be included in the conversation. I will agree too, the 9 v 9 field is getting small for some of these players!

I will agree too, the 9 v 9 field is getting small for some of these players!

I don't know if you've coached a team in the final 9v9 age group year before this, but it's been this way since the small-sided game initiative was implemented. By November it will be like trying to play soccer through a wood chipper.

More at this particular stage of their development than in any years past, I am hearing of a lot of 2010 kids opting to play up with a 2009 team and go 11 v 11 on the bigger field a year early. Not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing and it quite possibly had something to do with the pandemic. Whether it's a smart move or not probably depends on the team, the coach, the player, the parents' expectations, opportunities to play, etc., like all soccer decisions.

Absolutely.

We used to say the same thing with the 01 and 03 groups at their u10 year (last year playing 8 v 8). Field would be way too tight come State Cup time. Clearly I forgot about this scenario.

I don't know if you've coached a team in the final 9v9 age group year before this, but it's been this way since the small-sided game initiative was implemented. By November it will be like trying to play soccer through a wood chipper.

You nailed it

Totally situational. Not all of the kids could transition this quickly,.. and it does have to be the correct environment for sure. But there are some 2010s having much success on the big field that I have seen for sure.

More at this particular stage of their development than in any years past, I am hearing of a lot of 2010 kids opting to play up with a 2009 team and go 11 v 11 on the bigger field a year early. Not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing and it quite possibly had something to do with the pandemic. Whether it's a smart move or not probably depends on the team, the coach, the player, the parents' expectations, opportunities to play, etc., like all soccer decisions.

Congrats to Blues on the Man City win over Surf. What were the takeaways from this weekend and what other tournaments are teams playing this summer?
The biggest takeaway I could see in the G2010 top level is that the girls are ready to play 11v11. Ping pong kicks from goalie to goalie are dumb. Also the smaller field is forcing bunch ball type play and it's obvious that teams are looking to pass more and control the ball. Another takeaway I noticed was the long ball goals that float over the goalies heads dont work as well as they used to because goalies are taller.

Back