Fingernail length?

Soccer Dad & Ref

SILVER ELITE
Had two different referees in Oceanside (I think they were from OC or LA), tell our girls they needed to trim their longer nails next time or they may not be able to play. Girl on our other team was told to leave the field mid-game.
Is this some new guidance being given? Never had it before.
What are your thoughts on fingernails? Seems to me like sharpness is the bigger issue than length. I’ve never checked, but I remember years ago refs would have the players all showing their hands.

Had two different referees in Oceanside (I think they were from OC or LA), tell our girls they needed to trim their longer nails next time or they may not be able to play. Girl on our other team was told to leave the field mid-game.
Is this some new guidance being given? Never had it before.
What are your thoughts on fingernails? Seems to me like sharpness is the bigger issue than length. I’ve never checked, but I remember years ago refs would have the players all showing their hands.
Checking hands would "usually" be to make sure there are no rings on them. As for fingernails, I guess it could be something they are warned about, but unless there's an issue, allowing them to play should be fine. However, if they are warned and someone gets cut up by them, not allowing that player to continue would be would be understandable. And, if they're deemed to have done damage on purpose, being sent off is definitely in play.

Checking hands would "usually" be to make sure there are no rings on them. As for fingernails, I guess it could be something they are warned about, but unless there's an issue, allowing them to play should be fine. However, if they are warned and someone gets cut up by them, not allowing that player to continue would be would be understandable. And, if they're deemed to have done damage on purpose, being sent off is definitely in play.

But even with someone with short nails, they can scratch the heck out of someone, and trying to prove it after would be very difficult unless we saw it happening.

I was really wondering if SoCal area refs were being given new advice. I referee for San Diego County Soccer Referees' Association, and have not been given anything new in that regard. To be fair, I have not been able to make a monthly meeting in awhile, so maybe something was said there.

But even with someone with short nails, they can scratch the heck out of someone, and trying to prove it after would be very difficult unless we saw it happening.

I was really wondering if SoCal area refs were being given new advice. I referee for San Diego County Soccer Referees' Association, and have not been given anything new in that regard. To be fair, I have not been able to make a monthly meeting in awhile, so maybe something was said there.
Been out of the loop for a few years. I could ask Keoni....

Ref probably has a daughter that plays and was scratched and now has that in his/her head and trying to inflict his/her thoughts about on the masses. It happens.

Back