FIFA considering shootout instead of PKs after draws

Oh, you're talking about the PK from a distance running up like the video, right? No, I wouldn't be in favor of that either. I'm talking about making just a slight change to the current PK approach, where instead of the goalie having to stay his/her line, they are freed up at the whistle. Simple adjustment. I've seen too manyt shootouts gon2-3 rounds with the current. Boring!!
Actually they did make adjustments to this. Previously they were not allowed to move at all before the kick. Now they can move side to side at any time before the kick.

As the the parent of a keeper I am torn on this idea. I am a firm believer of, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". However with that being said, in PKs the advantage overwhelmingly goes to the shooter. This change would even the odds up a bit and make for a more exciting finish.
The only drawback I see would be for an increase in injuries to both players.
A previous poster mentioned a compromise. Do not move the ball so far back but at the very least let the keeper come off their line as soon as the whistle is blown.

As the the parent of a keeper I am torn on this idea. I am a firm believer of, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". However with that being said, in PKs the advantage overwhelmingly goes to the shooter. This change would even the odds up a bit and make for a more exciting finish.
A previous poster mentioned a compromise. Do not move the ball so far back but at the very least let the keeper come off their line as soon as the whistle is blown.

It's broke.

kicking from existing spot while freeing up goalie would not increase chance of injury IMO. The shooter would have a situation similar to a field goal kicker in football. Step up and shoot.

Think about it. No change to current spot. Only change is to free up the goalie. Whistle blows,.......action. There would be a lot more saves (Exciting!), and the shooter would have to think and react quickly. Personally, I think it would add some fun to the process. I don't have goalies among my DD's, BTW. But, I think the current PK set up is skewed and can, at times, drag out round after round. Just saying

Just have one kick decide the game. Away team chooses location of kick and home team chooses if they want to take the kick or let the other team take it. Game is over quickly and will be as close to a 50/50 kick as you can get.

kicking from existing spot while freeing up goalie would not increase chance of injury IMO. The shooter would have a situation similar to a field goal kicker in football. Step up and shoot.
I was refering to the proposed run up shoot out. I can see a lot of 1 on 1 collisions. I know that can happen anytime in regulation play also.

I was refering to the proposed run up shoot out. I can see a lot of 1 on 1 collisions. I know that can happen anytime in regulation play also.

If the shooter is smart, he will take his shot before any collision. In a one-on-one situation like that, keepers are trained to close the gap and cover more of the shooter's angles, meeting just within the PA boundary so he can still use his hands and arms (assuming the handling rules are not modified as part of the change). A clever shooter facing that charge will chip the keeper when he gets halfway out. If the keeper stays home, the shooter just has to get close enough to beat the time limit.

Keep the shot where it is, but allow the keeper to come off their line on the whistle. Once less thing for the AR to worry about as some keepers come off the line already.

Back