Excellent ref crew

I just wanted to give a shout out to the ref crew at last nights UCHS vs. Valhalla girls varsity game. The two-ref crew did a good job of keeping up with the game and calling the necessary fouls. DD independently mentioned that she thought they did a good job. DD had a foul called on her that was definitely a foul according to her, even though her coach thought differently. I also thought it was a foul. I am sure the small defender who did a great job in tapping that ball away before she got flattened thought it was a foul as well.

Maybe we could use this thread to call out good referee performances.

Ok...I'll follow your lead. During last weeks TOC event in Irvine both my dd's had excellent referee crews. I was a bit suspect about the 3 man crew during the '03 Semi Final as the Center ref was VERY whistle happy and inconsistent but the 2nd half was managed well.

Well done!

Ok...I'll follow your lead. During last weeks TOC event in Irvine both my dd's had excellent referee crews. I was a bit suspect about the 3 man crew during the '03 Semi Final as the Center ref was VERY whistle happy and inconsistent but the 2nd half was managed well.

Well done!

Our ref crews were all over the map. The first game was done well. The second game was done well too but the CR needed work on his signals. He never raised his hand to signal indirect kick on any offside or dangerous play restarts. Once you see that you tend to lose your confidence in them. Third ref crew had a good CR and one good AR but the AR on the far side looked like it was the first time ever stepping on the pitch and without training. His signal for goal kicks, corner kicks and throw ins were all the same - stick the flag straight up. He never called offside once, the CR probably told him not to, because the CR made the offside calls on his side of the field. Also didn't know where to stand for a PK. Insisted on standing next to the corner flag. Kudos to the CR for being able to cover for the very weak link.

The 3-man crew at Poway for the Scripps Ranch game was flawless from my perspective. They called back an offside goal, and awarded a yellow card to a player who threw the ball at an opponent after a disagreement over which side was throwing the ball in. Other than that, they were invisible.

A few weeks back in our last league game we had a great ref team....totally pro across the board. Refreshing after weeks of questionable crews.

So I, as ref, really liked the two coaches that made me laugh last night. Keep in mind that I have know both coaches for a few years. I made a PK call on a corner kick after a defender pushed an attacker that was in the air for a header to the ground. The defenders coach yelled, "What was the call?" I responded, "#5 pushed the player down causing her to miss the header." Coach, "I didn't see it!" At that point I was going to ignore him when the other coached yelled across the field, "I didn't see it either, but he (my name) is not going to make up a foul." Other coach responded, "I know that. I don't get a reason to yell at him (me) that often." The players and us refs are looking at the coaches sort of in disbelief that they are having this conversation when the attackers coach said, "I get to yell at him too. What are we waiting for? Take the PK." At that point a few of us laughed and we went forward with the PK. I wish more coaches had a sense of humor like those two.

I just wanted to give a shout out to the ref crew at last nights UCHS vs. Valhalla girls varsity game. The two-ref crew did a good job of keeping up with the game and calling the necessary fouls. DD independently mentioned that she thought they did a good job. DD had a foul called on her that was definitely a foul according to her, even though her coach thought differently. I also thought it was a foul. I am sure the small defender who did a great job in tapping that ball away before she got flattened thought it was a foul as well.

Maybe we could use this thread to call out good referee performances.

That Grossmont Hills division looks good so far this year. West Hills is looking really good and Steele, Valhalla, Granite and Grossmont all look solid.

The 3-man crew at Poway for the Scripps Ranch game was flawless from my perspective. They called back an offside goal, and awarded a yellow card to a player who threw the ball at an opponent after a disagreement over which side was throwing the ball in. Other than that, they were invisible.

Love it when they let'em play the game!

I am in Florida working the Disney boys tournament yesterday. My second game was a Florida team vs a So Cal team with the center ref from So Cal also. I thought it was funny that some of the So Cal team's parents yelled at the refs that we were "Homers" and thought I were from Florida. Stupid parents. The So Cal parents were the only parents I heard on any field yelling at the refs. Great 80 degree and sunny weather, but a little humid.

I am in Florida working the Disney boys tournament yesterday. My second game was a Florida team vs a So Cal team with the center ref from So Cal also. I thought it was funny that some of the So Cal team's parents yelled at the refs that we were "Homers" and thought I were from Florida. Stupid parents. The So Cal parents were the only parents I heard on any field yelling at the refs. Great 80 degree and sunny weather, but a little humid.

Refs are rarely right unless the call is on the other team :)

Did they cover your travel expenses?

Did they cover your travel expenses?

We have been here since the 20th on vacation with the family and to visit friends and family in the area. We have also been looking for a house to buy in northeast Florida. They will cover partial travel costs, plus I can write some of the travel off as a expense on my taxes. I am on the plane now and will be back in San Diego in about an hour.

Refereeing was really good this past weekend at the Milan Friendship Cup in Riverside. Overall the year has been really good.

Back