CIF Brackets announced.

Can someone please explain this absurd CIFSS rule to me? Why are the higher ranked teams not given home field advantage for rounds 2 and on? I heard they do a ridiculous coin flip to determine locations. What????? How is this fair to the teams who worked so hard during the year to get a good ranking? Some of the high school teams we play are very far away and field location definitely matters. Someone please.

Can someone please explain this absurd CIFSS rule to me? Why are the higher ranked teams not given home field advantage for rounds 2 and on? I heard they do a ridiculous coin flip to determine locations. What????? How is this fair to the teams who worked so hard during the year to get a good ranking? Some of the high school teams we play are very far away and field location definitely matters. Someone please.
It has been like that for at least 35 years and probably longer and I don't think I have ever heard anyone say it is unfair. If a team were on the road for Round 1 and survived to Round 2, there is a chance they could host in the next round rather than be on the road each round just because they didn't "work so hard" during the year. My daughter's team just lost in the 1st round and I am pretty sure they'd love to drive to San Luis Obispo for Round 2 if given a chance.

CIF San DIego makes it sort of explicit --

If a league champion is not seeded into the playoffs, the champion will host a play-in game versus the lowest-seeded team in that division. If more than one league champion is not seeded, the highest ranking league champion will play the lowest seeded team, the 2nd highest ranked league champion will play the 2nd lowest seeded team,

That first sentence means that if a league champion did not get a home game in the first round (or a bye and a home game in the second round) then the matchups will be adjusted.

Does anybody know why San Diego has an “Open” group for playoffs? Doesn’t look like the other sections do this.

Division 1 in both boys and girls soccer contains 20 teams. The top 8 in the season-end power rankings compete in the Open playoffs; the other 12 in Division 1 playoffs. Divisions are adjusted after the season (including playoffs) by a formula that considers results from a few years back, weighted toward the most recent.

Division 1 in both boys and girls soccer contains 20 teams. The top 8 in the season-end power rankings compete in the Open playoffs; the other 12 in Division 1 playoffs. Divisions are adjusted after the season (including playoffs) by a formula that considers results from a few years back, weighted toward the most recent.

They got the teams right. Just wondering why the other sections don’t do the same.

It has been like that for at least 35 years and probably longer and I don't think I have ever heard anyone say it is unfair. If a team were on the road for Round 1 and survived to Round 2, there is a chance they could host in the next round rather than be on the road each round just because they didn't "work so hard" during the year. My daughter's team just lost in the 1st round and I am pretty sure they'd love to drive to San Luis Obispo for Round 2 if given a chance.
Ok, just because no one has complained doesn't make it right but I understand your point. We work hard all season playing the best of the best during pre-season (which does affect our ranking) and usually make it to CIF semi's each year in D1 and just got tired of driving away for most of our games last few years. Seems like the coin flip doesn't agree with us. Last year we played most of our games away and just didn't seem fair. If we were a low seed, barely squeaking into the tournament, I'd be happy driving away each game since we screwed up during the season but that's no us this year. Am I the only one that thinks this way? I'm a pretty reasonable guy.

Ok, just because no one has complained doesn't make it right but I understand your point. We work hard all season playing the best of the best during pre-season (which does affect our ranking) and usually make it to CIF semi's each year in D1 and just got tired of driving away for most of our games last few years. Seems like the coin flip doesn't agree with us. Last year we played most of our games away and just didn't seem fair. If we were a low seed, barely squeaking into the tournament, I'd be happy driving away each game since we screwed up during the season but that's no us this year. Am I the only one that thinks this way? I'm a pretty reasonable guy.
So what you saying is the coin flip didn't go your way? Shit happens, get over it be happy to still be playing, home or away, because a lot of those seniors, who by the way work very hard to get there, will not be playing in the 2nd round.

So what you saying is the coin flip didn't go your way? Shit happens, get over it be happy to still be playing, home or away, because a lot of those seniors, who by the way work very hard to get there, will not be playing in the 2nd round.
Yes, agreed. And if the team "pretty much makes cif semis every year", then it doesn't seem to have impacted the players much. Oh, and road trips to away games in high school playoffs are some of my favorite memories from my playing days.

Any big upsets in CIF ? Cinderellas

In CIFSD Open Division, top-seed Bonita Vista lost to 8th seed Pt. Loma, and 2nd seed Cathedral Catholic lost in PKs to 7th seed Westview. In a thriller, 3rd seed San Marcos scored in the last minute to beat 6th seed LCC 2-1. The 4th seed Del Norte beat 5th seed Carlsbad 3-0. That leaves Cinderellas Pt. Loma and Westview, with Del Norte and San Marcos the favorites to meet in the final.

In CIFSD Open Division, top-seed Bonita Vista lost to 8th seed Pt. Loma, and 2nd seed Cathedral Catholic lost in PKs to 7th seed Westview. In a thriller, 3rd seed San Marcos scored in the last minute to beat 6th seed LCC 2-1. The 4th seed Del Norte beat 5th seed Carlsbad 3-0. That leaves Cinderellas Pt. Loma and Westview, with Del Norte and San Marcos the favorites to meet in the final.

On the boys side all the Open Division higher seeds won --

Torrey Pines 5-1 Cathedral
San Pasqual 4-3 Eastlake
St Augustine 0-0 (4-3) Pt Loma
Coronado 5-0 San Dieguito

In all the lower divisions, the top seeds got a bye in the first round.

DD's team played PLHS, LCCHS and SMHS, all were good. PLHS manhandled DD's team. We were short subs due to illness, but the PL team was well coached and had a ton of quality shots/opportunities. SMHS has a lot of talent and is very well coached.

The biggest upset I have found so far in SD Section boys soccer is in Division 2 -- #7 Escondido beat #2 Sweetwater 5-4 in overtime last night.

Back