C’mon schedule guy!

These schedulers kill me. We have a tournament this weekend and no schedules are out. Thankfully it’s local but c’mon, I would like to plan my holiday weekend. Just had to vent as this seems to be an issue all around with tournaments and league schedules as well.

These schedulers kill me. We have a tournament this weekend and no schedules are out. Thankfully it’s local but c’mon, I would like to plan my holiday weekend. Just had to vent as this seems to be an issue all around with tournaments and league schedules as well.
There's a reason for it. Teams might be added/dropped until the week before (many because parents are not responsive may need to do a head count to figure out if they have enough people going...on the soccer boards, it's routine to see teams advertising for guest players up to the cut off date which is usually 48 hours before). Then, the schedule has to go to the coaches before being made public. The reason for this is that now days coaches have multiple teams some playing in multiple locations. The coaches then have a window to move around the hours before the schedules get published. It's less of an issue with the big higher end tournaments like surf cup and MLS Flex because teams absolutely are going to those and the organizers tend to be more familiar with the coaching staff and the coaching staff tend to be in the same area for the multiple teams.

💯💯💯

Our tournament was not local and they released it less than a week before. Some teams have games at 730 am and now it's way too late to get a decent hotel room since it's Labor Day weekend. Not cool at all...

Of course, there's scheduling issues and back and forth that organizers need to deal with but all tournaments have to deal with that. 10-14 days before should be the minimum.

Basketball tournament schedules, even decent ones, are often not released until the thursday or even the friday before the tournament weekend. It's infuriating - but indicative of the nature of how teams sign/drop last minute and tournaments have continued to allow it. Travel ones list a time/day that the earliest game may be scheduled, and the championship game times on Sunday are also usually known - so you always have to book travel assuming the worst. Otherwise players will potentially arrive later than the first game or have to leave prior to a potential playoff/championship game.

Not as feasible as one might want. With basketball, it really only takes 6 kids, 3 of them decent, to do well in many of the most challenging tournaments. Most decent players play on multiple teams throughout the year, and are at tournaments most weekends. Many teams wait until the absolute last minute to sign up for the tournament based on how many key players would be available. Only a select few tournaments could be stricter in terms of signup deadlines, deposits, penalties, without losing most of their teams to all of the other options.

Completely different to something like football, where you have 60 kids having to show up somewhere, and schedules are locked many months in advance. Or soccer, where it is more like 15 - 25 kids - and in both sports kids are pretty committed to the team for a year.

Back