Blues/Surf always at the top

Dominic

DA
Staff member
Are Blues and Surf at the top again? Been like that for 20 years.

Are Blues and Surf at the top again? Been like that for 20 years.
Click bait for me Dom. I still eat this stuff up and my dd won it all with Blues in 2015 and Surf in 2017, respectfully amazing and super fun :) Time sure goes fast. I'm making a sweet video of my dd before she leaves our nest later this year and have some cool pics and videos of yesterdays soccer glory days and todays smiles. My son is over and were putting together ideas for our families future. It will be very difficult to say goodbye to my Angel girl but also a great time for my wife and I to celebrate 25 years together, alone....lol!!! I will look to post a "Sign off for my 2004 baby girl." She really loves to play the game Dom. Thanks for all your support and love over the years.

2013 Girls parent checking in with my last dd also going to pursue her dream. Soccer is alive and well and glad Womens Soccer Matches are selling out and breaking records. Thank you for this forum!

The ranking in the 2012 topic was decent enough on the top 5-8. Blues seemed unbeatable coming out of tournament season and league but 2013 Socal Super Cup final was CDA Slammers vs Surf after a CDA Slammers “upset” over the Blues in PKs during the quarterfinals. So definitely include CDA Slammers in the convo of top 3.

There has already been movement amongst rosters this year with Beach and Legends looking to improve, we’ll have to see if it will be enough.

The biggest factor for this birth year is that, for most, the first full year (2020) was during Covid - so there’s a larger than normal divide between the top teams that invested in the physical and mental health of their kids and did whatever it took during the shutdown, including traveling to AZ , defying “bubble” practices, and risking run-ins with local police or park rangers. The teams/clubs reliant on public fields (including some great clubs with decent history) got hit in this age group pretty hard with field closures and super strict practices. IMO you can really see a big difference in Aggression - which is such a dominating characteristic at the younger ages - in teams that stayed with bubble practices for a long time vs teams that didn’t. You don’t see some of the usual clubs even near flight 1 and they often seemed pretty mad during some of the first tournaments when it was clear teams “didn’t follow the rules like they did” during Covid. Luckily some of this is finally starting to work itself out after a proper league season, but it was really bad last Spring and Tournament season.

The 2013s are actually pretty technical players as a group. These players went 3,6,9,12 months straight with skill, passing, and shooting training before ever doing an “official” contact 1-on-1, scrimmage, or competitive match. They are definitely going to be an interesting group to watch.

2013 Girls parent checking in with my last dd also going to pursue her dream. Soccer is alive and well and glad Womens Soccer Matches are selling out and breaking records. Thank you for this forum!

The ranking in the 2012 topic was decent enough on the top 5-8. Blues seemed unbeatable coming out of tournament season and league but 2013 Socal Super Cup final was CDA Slammers vs Surf after a CDA Slammers “upset” over the Blues in PKs during the quarterfinals. So definitely include CDA Slammers in the convo of top 3.

There has already been movement amongst rosters this year with Beach and Legends looking to improve, we’ll have to see if it will be enough.

The biggest factor for this birth year is that, for most, the first full year (2020) was during Covid - so there’s a larger than normal divide between the top teams that invested in the physical and mental health of their kids and did whatever it took during the shutdown, including traveling to AZ , defying “bubble” practices, and risking run-ins with local police or park rangers. The teams/clubs reliant on public fields (including some great clubs with decent history) got hit in this age group pretty hard with field closures and super strict practices. IMO you can really see a big difference in Aggression - which is such a dominating characteristic at the younger ages - in teams that stayed with bubble practices for a long time vs teams that didn’t. You don’t see some of the usual clubs even near flight 1 and they often seemed pretty mad during some of the first tournaments when it was clear teams “didn’t follow the rules like they did” during Covid. Luckily some of this is finally starting to work itself out after a proper league season, but it was really bad last Spring and Tournament season.

The 2013s are actually pretty technical players as a group. These players went 3,6,9,12 months straight with skill, passing, and shooting training before ever doing an “official” contact 1-on-1, scrimmage, or competitive match. They are definitely going to be an interesting group to watch.
Slammers were always in the discussion and some times even #1. However, scoreboard is scoreboard. My dd old Blues team beat the Surf in Semi's of State Cup and then beat Slammers in the finals. Then another year my kid won the National Championship with Surf and we beat Real Socal in Far West Finals. Blues got poached that year because of the age change and free ride offers and many left to get free hand out from the GDA.

Slammers Sandoval is legit. They belong in the top 3 and Surf/Blues/Slammers can each beat one another on any given day.

Beach, I haven't watched play but know they are formidable and Souza is a great coach.
Legends added 1 piece but in my opinion lack depth. I've seen them play a few times and rely on 2-3 players to do all there heavy lifting. Obviously at this age that is quite common. I've been told a coaching change may be coming soon.

It'll be a fun tournament season for the 2013's to see where the chips begin to fall. Several teams reloaded and several great players got plucked from flight 2 teams. I'm sure several other teams will emerge before Labor Day.

Most socal soccer parents don’t know how much of a blessing it is for the elite girls side to live and play in SoCal. We have so many great competitive programs within reasonable driving distance, whereas most others have serious traveling to do to compete at high levels. Even the difference between SoCal and NorCal was evident this weekend at the competition between state champions and state runner-ups. SoCal dominated. An example was at the girls 2010’s with the Surf and the Blues beating the NorCal top two teams in the tournament by an average of 6 goals, while playing each other in two nail biters. So, for all the ”issues” that we have here in SoCal, be thankful that there are multiple program options. Not a lot of options elsewhere.

Best of luck to the 2013s, enjoy the journey, don't burn the kids out, it has to be about them and their passion to play.

Have some light hearted fun with the scores / rankings / and breakdowns, but remember to hug and kiss the kiddos no matter how they play on any given day.

My oldest, 04 aged out and will be going to a dream school and has hung up her cleats. My youngest switched to protecting the volleyball net instead of being in goal after 10 years. Even though neither of them will play college soccer, the memories will always be there and their pursuit to be great led them to be great in life!

Best of luck to the 2013s, enjoy the journey, don't burn the kids out, it has to be about them and their passion to play.

Have some light hearted fun with the scores / rankings / and breakdowns, but remember to hug and kiss the kiddos no matter how they play on any given day.

My oldest, 04 aged out and will be going to a dream school and has hung up her cleats. My youngest switched to protecting the volleyball net instead of being in goal after 10 years. Even though neither of them will play college soccer, the memories will always be there and their pursuit to be great led them to be great in life!
Bro, amazing up date on the kids. I just spoke to a mom who has 04' dd. She can ball and had some offers for soccer but her dream school was UCLA and she got accepted. She got in because she is smart human and that's all she needed. She will miss soccer but she is now going to be a great doctor. We had a clown of a coach back in the day that asked our kids, "where do you want to go to college and please don;t say UCLA." I was shocked but I kept it to myself and the other girls mama bear was pissed off. All the best to you, your wife and kiddos. Love you man :)

Bro, amazing up date on the kids. I just spoke to a mom who has 04' dd. She can ball and had some offers for soccer but her dream school was UCLA and she got accepted. She got in because she is smart human and that's all she needed. She will miss soccer but she is now going to be a great doctor. We had a clown of a coach back in the day that asked our kids, "where do you want to go to college and please don;t say UCLA." I was shocked but I kept it to myself and the other girls mama bear was pissed off. All the best to you, your wife and kiddos. Love you man :)
Such a small world, exactly what my kid went through. Had (2) D1 offers and (1) D2 on the table, kid choose to accept her admittance to UCLA for Psychology and hang the cleats up. Loves working with kids and families, wants to gives back and be part of the village that it takes to help guide the young ones.

She told my wife this weekend at the UCLA visit, that she was inspired by seeing her sister's journey with the mental wellness challenges she faced and the help she received by some amazing people, and wants to do that for others that find themselves in the same boat.

There are pivotal moments in life where all you need is someone to help you get up as you're fighting for your life to make a difference, and she wants to be one of those people.

I put on my first piece of Bruin swag yesterday to represent the kid, and I don't figure it will be my last. If the youngest gets into USC in a couple of years, maybe then I'll dust off the old gear. ;)

F634EA24-E125-4775-B836-F25D122C242B.jpeg

Such a small world, exactly what my kid went through. Had (2) D1 offers and (1) D2 on the table, kid choose to accept her admittance to UCLA for Psychology and hang the cleats up. Loves working with kids and families, wants to gives back and be part of the village that it takes to help guide the young ones.

She told my wife this weekend at the UCLA visit, that she was inspired by seeing her sister's journey with the mental wellness challenges she faced and the help she received by some amazing people, and wants to do that for others that find themselves in the same boat.

There are pivotal moments in life where all you need is someone to help you get up as you're fighting for your life to make a difference, and she wants to be one of those people.

I put on my first piece of Bruin swag yesterday to represent the kid, and I don't figure it will be my last. If the youngest gets into USC in a couple of years, maybe then I'll dust off the old gear. ;)

View attachment 13195
I am a Bruin fan deep down and always will hold them high in my soul. Go Bruins!!! So stoked for her!!!

I heard Blues picked up a couple from Surf? That change anyone's thinking? I'm not sure if they are difference makers but heard two of their better players.

When folks in this forum reference "Surf", is it always "San Diego Surf"? Aren't there a few different teams within that brand family?

Calling all Goats….

8EB293E7-85E3-4124-A737-F957029C0977.jpeg

This is camp is for Flight 1 and ECNL and RL players only, Camp is invite only players can nominate themselves for a invitation must currently be playing on a flight 1 team. please send player name with club and position also video and Instagram link if available we will let you know if player made it to submit a flight 1 player please text 714-727-0000. The Coaches at camp are from all different clubs based on there success ratio all coaches where nominated.

Back