BBQ Hacks

N00B

GOLD
Any BBQ Hacks you’re willing to share? Dry Rub Recipes, Cooking Techniques, Cleaning Tips, etc.

I just spent a day cleaning out my gas grill from a year of unusually high usage (more prepared foods at home) and it was a mess. Any tips would be greatly appreciated to make that process simpler in the future. Cleaning hacks, regular maintenance procedures, dealing with the inevitable rust factor of salty air in SoCal, etc.

Great resources! I missed the sale of the Kamado grill from advice I received here. But after we get back from Surf and now Disney, I’m going with the Kamado 2. Seems like it is a good place to start. Looking forward to starting a new way to cook outside.

Great resources! I missed the sale of the Kamado grill from advice I received here. But after we get back from Surf and now Disney, I’m going with the Kamado 2. Seems like it is a good place to start. Looking forward to starting a new way to cook outside.
The Weber Bullet is also a great smoker.

This guy has too much time on his hands. However the info has proven to be very valuable.

I saw a great hack to starting the charcoal faster when using a chimney. When using a chimney charcoal starter, pack the bottom with crumpled paper as usual (I have been using an old SAT prep book since it has no color ink). Flip the chimney right side up. Before pouring the coals in, put the empty cardboard tube from the center of a roll of paper towels vertically in the center of the chimney. Hold the cardboard tube in place and pour the coals around it. Light the crumpled paper. The cardboard tube will act as a vent in the center of the coals and increase the air flow. It will burn away, but leave the center area clear. I haven't timed it but it seems to cut the time it takes for the coals to be ready almost in half, and the coals at the bottom are not depleted as much. Making burgers tonight with hatch green chile. Grill on!

The Weber Bullet is also a great smoker.

This guy has too much time on his hands. However the info has proven to be very valuable.
I have the weber bullet. It's money. I use it every other week to smoke all kinds of stuff. Only issue is it's a complete pain in the ass to clean but it's worth it when you eat the pure gold that comes off of it.

You had me at hatch.

Roasted Poblanos are my go to with burgers. Char on the grill while bringing up to temperature. Throw in a ziplock bag to steam and separate the skins while cooking the meat. Add to your toppings... enjoy!

I’m often multitasking on the grill, preparing ingredients for future meals while cooking a main course. Roasting beats/veggies on indirect heat for salads... and more poblanos, etc!

Roasted Poblanos are my go to with burgers. Char on the grill while bringing up to temperature. Throw in a ziplock bag to steam and separate the skins while cooking the meat. Add to your toppings... enjoy!

I’m often multitasking on the grill, preparing ingredients for future meals while cooking a main course. Roasting beats/veggies on indirect heat for salads... and more poblanos, etc!
I have never found poblanos that have any heat. They are tasty, but I prefer hotter chile. I use roasted poblanos when I make non-hot salsa so people don't complain about my other salsa being too hot. (1 dozen jalapeno's boiled, 1/4 onion, small can of diced tomatoes, garlic and salt to taste, add a few boiled seranos if the jalapenos are wimpy, puree in the blender)

I have never found poblanos that have any heat. They are tasty, but I prefer hotter chile. I use roasted poblanos when I make non-hot salsa so people don't complain about my other salsa being too hot. (1 dozen jalapeno's boiled, 1/4 onion, small can of diced tomatoes, garlic and salt to taste, add a few boiled seranos if the jalapenos are wimpy, puree in the blender)

Glad I saw your post. I have a huge Jalapeño plant, and a Serrano pepper plant. Both are still producing, but I was at a loss as to what to do with them. I'll try out your salsa recipe. Do you keep the seeds in them?

Finally some useful information from you.

Had to chime in Im strictly Charcol. here's three little secrets

Sonora Charcol is inexpensive and burns great

Not chimney starter no problem, grab three paper towels and drizzle some cooking oil on them and build a small volcano of charcol on the crumbled paper towels. The Oil allows the paper to burn long igniting the charcoal along the way.

Steaks -this recipe for steaks was finally given to me from my buddy in TX.

Buy Steaks

Marinate steak for 5 hours in 1/2 orange juice and 1/2 Wishbone italian dressing

remove steaks from marinated and while wet coat heavily with this mix below:
Coat with brown sugar, sea salt and black pepper.

Allow to glaze for ten minutes and cook to your desired likeling

Don’t start here...
937D1F31-32B3-4F22-B5B4-F0F4A03B94E2.jpeg

I love my smoker. Typically cook on it once at least once a week. It takes time but the results can be amazing (and painful)

Pork ribs are the easiest to start with (personally prefer baby backs)
Brisket is amazing. Burnt ends, sandwiches, chili. Lasts forever.

The above is sitting in my fridge waiting for my negative covid test (going on 4 weeks now).

Back