Bay Area Surf(Formerly FCBA) DOC Resigning?

soccer4us

SILVER ELITE
Any truth to the BA Surf DOC resigning end of the fall season? It seemed surprising mid year at a reputable club unless something bad happened

There's nothimg reputable about that club..... but that's a topic for a different thread. Juan Porras will be gone effective November 5. Nobody knows if he has another coaching job lined up, but I doubt it. The timing of his exit is suspicious to say the least, and rumors have been running rampant. Some I've heard are money issues, difference in view about the direction of the club, abuse of power, blackmailing, and even mistreatment of players. Some day we will know the real story.

Dear FC Bay Area Surf soccer community,

With utmost respect to our players and families, I am writing to inform you that I will be leaving my position as Director of Coaching of the Elite Clubs National League Girls Program at FC Bay Area Surf soccer club, by November 5th. As of now, mutually decided the effective date is November 5th as I aim to be non-disruptive for the players, their families, and the coaches under my direction.

I have coached these players with great pride and done my best to teach the values and life lessons that I learned as a youth, as a soccer player growing up in Argentina. Soccer teaches values, when player are here, they gain strong identities and skills as leaders and collaborators. Many things they learn in sports are related to life. Our teams have made me proud with their dedication to setting goals, support of each other, and continuous improvement toward their own unique talents. Values guide my coaching and should be the top-most priority in our sport and institutions. As a staff leader and as an advocate for our members, I believe that sports should help kids, and that our role is to create access to soccer and reduce barriers.

This year, I have come to the realization that my position at FC Bay Area is not a perfect match. As the father of three daughters and a son, my priorities are to be a positive influence, focus on the players' education, and continuously evolve my teaching to meet the changing needs of our youth today and in the years ahead. In choosing to move on from this position, there is a heaviness in my heart to not continue coaching each player here, but I am happy to have made an impact on their soccer careers.

There's nothimg reputable about that club..... but that's a topic for a different thread. Juan Porras will be gone effective November 5. Nobody knows if he has another coaching job lined up, but I doubt it. The timing of his exit is suspicious to say the least, and rumors have been running rampant. Some I've heard are money issues, difference in view about the direction of the club, abuse of power, blackmailing, and even mistreatment of players. Some day we will know the real story.
Sounds like a "fun" youth soccer situation. I've heard some shady stuff about the money side of the club. In regards to the DOC, I heard more that was about treatment of the girls and potential verbal abuse regularly. Some parents got tired of it and went strong to make changes.

I was more referring to reputable as quality team but I agree with you on everything else. Not exactly a place known for strong morals and treating the girls well. It will be interesting who steps into that role next.

Sounds like a "fun" youth soccer situation. I've heard some shady stuff about the money side of the club. In regards to the DOC, I heard more that was about treatment of the girls and potential verbal abuse regularly. Some parents got tired of it and went strong to make changes.

I was more referring to reputable as quality team but I agree with you on everything else. Not exactly a place known for strong morals and treating the girls well. It will be interesting who steps into that role next.
I called this behavior out long ago and I was mocked, laughed at and called names and my dd was kicked out for it. These Docs had way too much power. If you kiss enough ass then all is great. I was threaten many times you guys, even from rich dads on here who destroyed the poor dad because they could pay to play the gr8t game. To be VERY clear, not all Docs are assholes, but some are worse then an asshole. Not all coaches yell, scream, bully, intimidate, blacklist and so on to 12 & 13 years old's little girls they can't groom. However, we got a few still roaming the fields. If you yell to get your point a cross, stop it now! If you can't stop yelling, get out of the game. Soccer was hijacked by some cruel and I dare say evil men.

The guy obviously has an ego problem and inability to get along with others. How many partnerships have gone bad by now? Beware of any clubs that have any involvement with him. It won't last. Don't contribute your time and money. It only feeds into his ego. I've heard how he talks to others. No respect and he truly feels that you should kiss the ground he walks on. Actions say a lot about his values.

JP went from co-founder to ex-employee, so it will be someone HP can again manage and manipulate. Maintaining control means hiring people who won't confront or question what you do. Can't wait to hear the "big news".

Anon9, it is not my job to defend the club. However, to throw out a statement like "nothing reputable about the club" "rumors have been running rampant" is lazy. If you are going to throw a grenade over the fence like this start a new thread and point out the reasons for your statements. Im sure some people will find this site looking for information about a future club for their son or daughter. I came to this site looking for info on Deza. So if you are going to say something of this nature be a man or woman up and state it.

Anon9, it is not my job to defend the club. However, to throw out a statement like "nothing reputable about the club" "rumors have been running rampant" is lazy. If you are going to throw a grenade over the fence like this start a new thread and point out the reasons for your statements. Im sure some people will find this site looking for information about a future club for their son or daughter. I came to this site looking for info on Deza. So if you are going to say something of this nature be a man or woman up and state it.
Not interested. Anyone that wants info on a specific club can do their research. Won't take long to gather that.

I don't know anything about that club, but my daughter briefly trained with Juan at Force, and she would run into him occasionally thereafter at things like PDP. She has only good things to say about him. When he and Deza invited her to play at Force, they complemented her ability and I joked that they had to because she was standing right in front of us. Juan laughed and said that is not how they operate. They were very clear they would be brutally honest with her, they expected to have those conversations directly with her, and they expected her to be mature enough to listen and learn from it. That is how it was. Parents who could not handle that and did not want coaches telling their kids anything other than how great they were usually left pretty quickly.

Juan has bounced around, but it seems irresponsible for those without personal knowledge to suggest he did for inappropriate reasons. The truth is it is really hard making a living as a youth soccer coach. Money is extremely tight, clubs and opportunities come and go, and anyone trying to make a living in this profession needs to hustle and go where money and opportunity take them. There was clearly some animosity with his most recent departure, but another truth is that people leave jobs all the time because personalities are not a good fit or their visions don't line up. That seems to be a particular problem with youth soccer because it attracts so many people who don't know how to operate a fiscally responsible business and lack the money to bring in a CFO to help.

I called this behavior out long ago and I was mocked, laughed at and called names and my dd was kicked out for it. These Docs had way too much power. If you kiss enough ass then all is great. I was threaten many times you guys, even from rich dads on here who destroyed the poor dad because they could pay to play the gr8t game. To be VERY clear, not all Docs are assholes, but some are worse then an asshole. Not all coaches yell, scream, bully, intimidate, blacklist and so on to 12 & 13 years old's little girls they can't groom. However, we got a few still roaming the fields. If you yell to get your point a cross, stop it now! If you can't stop yelling, get out of the game. Soccer was hijacked by some cruel and I dare say evil men.
Ehhh. I think most parents are sensitive. Any soccer country allows for some stern instructions. I think people get mislabeled in the youth soccer world because of parents with egos. I think parents have the egos- I’ve been there on the sidelines with them. We all think our kid is the best. It’s nature.
i rather have someone push my child then have the DOC’s in relationships with the moms and board members like the clubs on the peninsula. Heck there was a club that was encouraging it by providing divorce services. Those Are the clubs to stayaway from. But to mislabel a coach who everyone all around knows is good is lazy. Target the unethical ones.Not the ones that have a track record of developing good players. That’s their job.
you want a club that the doc wants to take you out on a date- go to it. You want one where your child develops. You’ll go where he is. Good coaches are few and far between ….

Ehhh. I think most parents are sensitive. Any soccer country allows for some stern instructions. I think people get mislabeled in the youth soccer world because of parents with egos. I think parents have the egos- I’ve been there on the sidelines with them. We all think our kid is the best. It’s nature.
i rather have someone push my child then have the DOC’s in relationships with the moms and board members like the clubs on the peninsula. Heck there was a club that was encouraging it by providing divorce services. Those Are the clubs to stayaway from. But to mislabel a coach who everyone all around knows is good is lazy. Target the unethical ones.Not the ones that have a track record of developing good players. That’s their job.
you want a club that the doc wants to take you out on a date- go to it. You want one where your child develops. You’ll go where he is. Good coaches are few and far between ….
Ehhh, I think most parents care about their kids brah. "Stern" instructions from a yeller & screamer is not good for the top women soccer players of today. Women and young girls do not like being yelled at, even if the man thinks he's just being stern with his voice. EVERYONE has ego Messi. I would rather have my kid taught the great game with respect and not stern yelling & stern screaming. My wife's dad is from Guatemala and he yelled with his instructions and he would never change and so he would not be a good coach for girls and he agrees with me. I learned from my wife and dd that yelling is not how you teach the girls what you want them to do. The fact is, girls are not boys. We both agree what some parents are willing to pay in order for their child to play is wrong and has no place in the game. I know a few who had to go on a date with Doc or The Hot Tub. Good coaches are hard to find 100%. A yeller can always change, I did :)

My DD has played for a number of different coaches with different styles. So her skin has gotten pretty coarse. Even had a coach while playing in Japan that gave her a shove after she thought my daughter had disrespected her as she was leaving the field. Anyway, every player is different, some players respond better to different coaching styles. Some of the posts on here border on slander and personally I feel pretty cowardly but I guess that's the benefit of remaining anonymous on the message boards. Coach Juan motivated my daughter to be a better player. Was she sad to hear he was going away, yes definitely, but she is tough and will keep moving on. It's so easy to trash a coach or club on here but if you are going to, stand up and say why. Otherwise your words are about as valuable as a message from QAnon.

Any truth to the BA Surf DOC resigning end of the fall season? It seemed surprising mid year at a reputable club unless something bad happened

Coach Juan, polarizing, yes, stubborn yes, does he yell, hell yes. Does he come across mean spirited, sometimes. What you need to understand in this man is his love for futbol. He really lives and breath this stuff that he preaches. He is not for everyone, especially for the parents. He has a vision for your daughter but can’t always express it or won’t, which results in frustration for player and family. You have to trust him explicitly, which again difficult as a parent. But if you daughter have talent and is coachable, he will nurture your daughter into the best soccer player that she can be.

Coach Juan, polarizing, yes, stubborn yes, does he yell, hell yes. Does he come across mean spirited, sometimes. What you need to understand in this man is his love for futbol. He really lives and breath this stuff that he preaches. He is not for everyone, especially for the parents. He has a vision for your daughter but can’t always express it or won’t, which results in frustration for player and family. You have to trust him explicitly, which again difficult as a parent. But if you daughter have talent and is coachable, he will nurture your daughter into the best soccer player that she can be.
Ok, ok, ok, man, I get it loud & clear and 100% appreciate love of the sport. I think coaches who yell care more and have ganas. Trust me, I yelled a little and thought that was how us men got our points across. I'm only saying the top players in our country don't like being yelled at and neither does my wife & dd. We need to bring it down big time. I buy my cleats from one of the best coaches for women in oC in the old days and he told me todays parent is killing the game. He speaks his mind and most kids can't handle the honesty. To each his own bro. My dd had the best coach who never yelled once and one of the best who yelled all the time. They both won championships with their style. She likes both of them because they both cared for her in their different ways. I feel they complimented each other actually. One needed to yell a little to show he cared and the other needed to bring it down a few notches during the games. Way too much robo coaching.

Ehhh, I think most parents care about their kids brah. "Stern" instructions from a yeller & screamer is not good for the top women soccer players of today. Women and young girls do not like being yelled at, even if the man thinks he's just being stern with his voice. EVERYONE has ego Messi. I would rather have my kid taught the great game with respect and not stern yelling & stern screaming. My wife's dad is from Guatemala and he yelled with his instructions and he would never change and so he would not be a good coach for girls and he agrees with me. I learned from my wife and dd that yelling is not how you teach the girls what you want them to do. The fact is, girls are not boys. We both agree what some parents are willing to pay in order for their child to play is wrong and has no place in the game. I know a few who had to go on a date with Doc or The Hot Tub. Good coaches are hard to find 100%. A yeller can always change, I did :)
Crush, I echo what you are saying and it is a real dilemma in soccer. Most (not all) of the soccer technical IQ resides in the long history of Men's soccer experiences in the Professional world and pre professional world. Clearly women are catching up so don't take this as a sexist comment, just stating the obvious. Therefore, male coaches greatly outnumber female coaches. One of the great truths of relationships is that men don't understand women and visa versa and people see things as THEY are, not as they are. Girls are much more relationship driven and so motivating girls is different than motivating boys. Male coaches struggle with knowing how to motivate girls, and I can speak from experience, girls never forget a mean spoken word.

Clive Charles was one of the few great male coaches that "got it". He coached the women and the men at university of Portland. In a nutshell, with the women he was kind and did not speak harshly or swear. With the men, lets just say he was very colorful and much harder. Women players loved him and his men players respected him. Unfortunately for the soccer world and the world in general, his life was cut short. We need more coaches like Clive in youth soccer.

Crush, I echo what you are saying and it is a real dilemma in soccer. Most (not all) of the soccer technical IQ resides in the long history of Men's soccer experiences in the Professional world and pre professional world. Clearly women are catching up so don't take this as a sexist comment, just stating the obvious. Therefore, male coaches greatly outnumber female coaches. One of the great truths of relationships is that men don't understand women and visa versa and people see things as THEY are, not as they are. Girls are much more relationship driven and so motivating girls is different than motivating boys. Male coaches struggle with knowing how to motivate girls, and I can speak from experience, girls never forget a mean spoken word.

Clive Charles was one of the few great male coaches that "got it". He coached the women and the men at university of Portland. In a nutshell, with the women he was kind and did not speak harshly or swear. With the men, lets just say he was very colorful and much harder. Women players loved him and his men players respected him. Unfortunately for the soccer world and the world in general, his life was cut short. We need more coaches like Clive in youth soccer.
Echo back to you Surfer dad.

For those of you that think JP is an "ethical person" and his only issue is being "tough on the girls" need to learn about history. The guy burned all bridges with Burlingame Soccer Club. I challenge anyone with direct knowledge of what happened there to post it here. I know bits and pieces, but not the full story. Not to mention, his hate for the "US system" of soccer, which to my knowledge, is the only one that exists in this country.

For those of you that think JP is an "ethical person" and his only issue is being "tough on the girls" need to learn about history. The guy burned all bridges with Burlingame Soccer Club. I challenge anyone with direct knowledge of what happened there to post it here. I know bits and pieces, but not the full story. Not to mention, his hate for the "US system" of soccer, which to my knowledge, is the only one that exists in this country.
Is it possible the man speaks truth to power and understands soccer?
Girls club soccer in the US is horrible and is in need of substantial improvement. Why are you so proud of a system that consistently produces players that lack basic fundamentals at the highest levels? I get sick to my stomach when I see ECNL clubs like Mustang play and have to take a whole bottle of pepto-bismol to the face for relief. Collectively we all need to do better and start calling out the phonies.

Back