Baseball..

With the news today that MLB will start checking starting pitchers 2x per game and relief pitchers once for foreign substance I wonder if they will start to check bats prior to games.

Look for more HBP as a byproduct...

I'm all for the rosin/pine tar/sunscreen to help grip. Pitchers f'ed up when they started using it for better spin rates and did so blatantly. Should of kept it the open secret that it was and nobody wouldve complained.

On Tuesday night, Chicago White Sox star Carlos Rodon ripped MLB commissioner Rob Manfred for punishing pitchers, but being lax on the Houston Astros cheating scandal.

It used to be slippery stuff, not sticky --

Rosin has been used since the early 1900s and is used to increase your grip. The Perry's opted for the other direction..

Now it's sunscreen, pine tar, pelicans and spiders. Nothing new just new (and more effective) ways of cheating.

Catch a foul ball at a game and chances are you'll find some "foreign " substance on it.

It’s all ‘spin rate’…. Vaseline for less and a fastball that behaves more like a knuckleball. Sticky for more movement on your pitches.
The worst game I ever had (a Golden Sombrero) was against a knuckleballer who sat me down 3x followed by a guy who was only throwing mid to upper 80s but looked like he was throwing 100 who sat me down. I know some guys who would ask to sit out when a knuckleball pitcher is going.. their afraid to mess up their swing...

One of the advantages of the current broadcast technology of baseball games is that it can show how good or bad the umpires are at calling balls and strikes. Maybe roboump next year?

Back