Arrogance and honesty

BSMet94

BRONZE
Two weekends in a row, CSL Boys 2004, the referee made the same mistake. The differences in the way they handled the mistake were huge. Both refs were misinformed on playing time, and blew the whistle at 30 minutes instead of the correct 35. On the first instance, the ref argued that he was right and even claimed that he had checked and gotten specific instructions from the "head ref," whatever that is. When shown the game card and CSL rules, he refused to restart play and stated it was halftime. The next week, the very same thing happened. This time, in stark contrast, when the error was pointed out to the referee, he immediately asked an AR to confirm, which was quickly done. The ref said sorry, restarted play, and there was no fuss.
Lesson learned, we need less power tripping refs, and someone needs to tell refs in general to check the rules on game playing times!

Two weekends in a row, CSL Boys 2004, the referee made the same mistake. The differences in the way they handled the mistake were huge. Both refs were misinformed on playing time, and blew the whistle at 30 minutes instead of the correct 35. On the first instance, the ref argued that he was right and even claimed that he had checked and gotten specific instructions from the "head ref," whatever that is. When shown the game card and CSL rules, he refused to restart play and stated it was halftime. The next week, the very same thing happened. This time, in stark contrast, when the error was pointed out to the referee, he immediately asked an AR to confirm, which was quickly done. The ref said sorry, restarted play, and there was no fuss.
Lesson learned, we need less power tripping refs, and someone needs to tell refs in general to check the rules on game playing times!
Why is it a "power trip" (whatever that means)? Couldn't it be that the refs were given the wrong information? I and many others got the wrong information last week. When I stopped the game 5 minutes early, the coach came screaming at me and I told him if he continued to act like a maniac I would have to ask him to leave. The team manager, realizing the coach was close to being dismissed, ran over and talking like a normal human being, explained the age level in U17 versus Boys 1999 terms. Everyone had a good laugh and we continued for the 5 minutes. And contrary to your insinuations, referees do check playing times.

Perhaps these referees were both given erroneous information. Maybe power trip wasn't the right description, but why would a ref insist on cheating kids out of 10 minutes of play, when presented with two forms of written evidence that he was not abiding by the gaming circuit rules? And why would another ref, when alerted to his error, immediately apologize and correct the situation? That is the contrast I was attempting to point out.

Also, it is my understanding that referees are responsible for knowing the gaming circuit or tournament rules. Those are published in black and white by said gaming circuits. Who is giving out this erroneous information regarding game durations. It's certainly not the leagues. And why would this unofficial info be trusted by any ref who should have already reviewed the league rules?

Also, it is my understanding that referees are responsible for knowing the gaming circuit or tournament rules. Those are published in black and white by said gaming circuits. Who is giving out this erroneous information regarding game durations. It's certainly not the leagues. And why would this unofficial info be trusted by any ref who should have already reviewed the league rules?
The information I alluded to came from the league via assignors. Last week at least one league sent out rule clarifications that were contradictory to their published rules. As a referee I'm going to abide by the contradictory clarification.

Perhaps these referees were both given erroneous information. Maybe power trip wasn't the right description, but why would a ref insist on cheating kids out of 10 minutes of play, when presented with two forms of written evidence that he was not abiding by the gaming circuit rules? And why would another ref, when alerted to his error, immediately apologize and correct the situation? That is the contrast I was attempting to point out.
Why is that cheating?

Terribly sorry for the colloquialism. I didn't know one needed to be strictly literal and formal in all grammatical constructions on this highly technical internet forum reserved for the exclusive use of experts in the field of soccer. Oops, sorry; I did it again. I should have said the subject of soccer because in discussions of soccer, the word "field" is ambiguous since it can also mean the field of play. I shall never again assume that readers of my posts will be capable of interpreting the context of my remarks.

Terribly sorry for the colloquialism. I didn't know one needed to be strictly literal and formal in all grammatical constructions on this highly technical internet forum reserved for the exclusive use of experts in the field of soccer. Oops, sorry; I did it again. I should have said the subject of soccer because in discussions of soccer, the word "field" is ambiguous since it can also mean the field of play. I shall never again assume that readers of my posts will be capable of interpreting the context of my remarks.
One would have hoped that by now you would have realized that it is your insinuations that are being questioned and not your phraseology; but, alas . . .

Back