A feel good story!

Saw this on FB and felt it should be shared. Very well done Mr Piggott!

A story of kindness and compassion on the soccer field, shared by one of our CV United parents. We can be so quick to find the wrong in coaches and officials…it’s important we showcase all of the good

“That's my oldest daughter.
She loves soccer...it's her thing. She is a defender, but at this game a few years ago, her coach needed her to play goalie. Playing goalkeeper...is not her thing lol. To say she was terrified would be an understatement...in fact, I've never seen her that nervous before.

My daughter ended up tackling an opponent in the box. Yep. Tackled‍♀️
So now it's penalty kick time...the other player and my daughter one-on-one.

My daughter looked like she was going to either throw up or cry...her face says it all in this picture that my friend took. The next thing I know, the ref is quietly talking to her.

A couple minutes pass...the goal was no good...and my daughter breathed a sigh of relief.

When we got in the car after the game, I asked her: ‘hey, what was the ref saying to you?’

‘He was telling me where to stand and to believe in myself. The worst thing that will happen is that she scores. Chin up.’

I got tears in my eyes immediately.

All that man was required to do was blow the whistle and resume the game.

But he saw a scared, young girl...and he made the decision to do more.

I remember wanting to run out onto the field to hug her and whisper ‘you got this’ in her ear when I saw how scared she was.

So I will be forever thankful to this man for taking a few extra seconds to lift my kiddo up.

We need more of this guy.

Kindness always leaves a lasting impression.

We see him from time to time at various soccer tournaments and my daughter always says, ‘mom look. There he is.’

She will never forget him.”

* His name is Tim Piggott and the youth soccer community is lucky to have him!

I kid, I kid. on younger, lower-level games, this is something I have done before. Even club soccer, but for only a 10-year old, during a PK shootout, I let the one keeper know that his job sucked, and not let it get to him. It helped...
At 9-10 years old it is pretty much impossible (barring some blind luck) for a gk (particularly one with out extensive training) to save a penalty unless it’s shot right at to where they are falling.

Back