SILVER ELITE
Socal Soccer League

44 Flight 1 teams
71 Flight 2 teams
76 Flight 3 teams
7 Flight 4 teams

Observations:
Big jump in number of teams from Spring which had 24 Flight 1 teams
Going to be some mismatches this year before everyone goes 11v11 and the top go to ECNL/ECRL
Ole moved over from CSL
United Teams moved over from CSL
Legends 2010 are playing 2009 Flight 1
Flight 4?

CSL has 9 teams in Silver Elite
Eagles 2010 are playing 2009 Gold

Thoughts/Comments?

Socal Soccer League

44 Flight 1 teams
71 Flight 2 teams
76 Flight 3 teams
7 Flight 4 teams

Observations:
Big jump in number of teams from Spring which had 24 Flight 1 teams
Going to be some mismatches this year before everyone goes 11v11 and the top go to ECNL/ECRL
Ole moved over from CSL
United Teams moved over from CSL
Legends 2010 are playing 2009 Flight 1
Flight 4?

CSL has 9 teams in Silver Elite
Eagles 2010 are playing 2009 Gold

Thoughts/Comments?

Great breakdown! My observations are the high flight 2 teams all made the jump to flight 1. I've always felt there should be a flight 1.5 league to separate the elite teams from the ones looking to go higher than flight 2 but not quite elite like Blues, Slammers PA, Surf and etc.

Definitely going to be a lot of mismatches.

Coast is now a watered down league. End of an era.

I assume flight 4 is like the old signature league the SCDSL had.

In regards to playing 2009, I really don't see the point. The age group isn't as competitive as the 2010s in my opinion despite trying to get an advantage in playing 11v11 I think it'll only provide short term gains but ultimately not have any significant benefit due to level of competition.

Is your opinion based on game results between 2010s vs 2009, or just speculation?
Based off of my observations watching the 2009s play against 2010s and my observations of a good number of 2010s playing in 2009 flight 1 teams. But hey, my opinion is anecdotal in the end.

I understand that, but like I said, I think its only going to be short term gains. There is a reason we play 9v9 at this age group.
Many 2010s are done with 9v9. Here's an example, a couple of tournaments ago we lost to a team where the GOALIE was the other teams primary goal scorer. Game ended at 2-3. When things like this start happening jumping up to 11v11 is the solution. It's not about players being better or worse it's that they're ready to take on the additional challenge. Just an fyi the last 2009 tournament we joined the team came in 2nd but only b/c of a bad ref. (Should have been 1st)

This was the last tournament for 9v9 for Solar too. They will only be playing 11v11 from now on.

Real Socal 2010s (both teams) are also playing 11v11 in 2009 (Flight 2) in the fall.

I see your point but so far I don't think I have seen many 2010 teams beating flight 1 09 teams....
Happens often enough in other regions. San Juan was cleaning up in 2009 norcal:

I expect Solar will have a good 11v11 season this fall.

I understand that, but like I said, I think its only going to be short term gains. There is a reason we play 9v9 at this age group.
Also means more minutes for deeper squads, players being forced to learn how to overcome larger players, they’ll develop more stamina, switching the field will prove more rewarding on larger fields - not a terrible idea if players don’t get discouraged or banged up

I know several 2010 teams have experimented with playing 11v11 in tournaments this summer, but are any of them actually going to go for it in the fall season? Sounds like Real SoCal is. Anyone else? Could be a way for some of the big dogs to get more competition as they prepare for next season.

I know several 2010 teams have experimented with playing 11v11 in tournaments this summer, but are any of them actually going to go for it in the fall season? Sounds like Real SoCal is. Anyone else? Could be a way for some of the big dogs to get more competition as they prepare for next season.

Well just based off the team list it looks like there 5 2010 teams playing up. Not sure if I missed any.

2009 Flight 1
Legends FC G10 FC

2009 Flight 2
Sporting CA Arsenal Pre ECNL
LAFC So Cal G2009/10 Pre ECNL
LAFC So Cal G2009/10 Pre ECNL-RL

2009 Flight 3
Arsenal FC Girls 2010FC

Back