07 Wearing a splint in a game

jvh007

BRONZE
Do refs allow players (07) to wear a removable splint, below the elbow, in a game?

Do refs allow players (07) to wear a removable splint, below the elbow, in a game?
Depends on the ref, the padding, and the type of splint.

I've seen a soft wrist brace allowed. The kind programmers wear for carpal tunnel syndrome. Has some plastic inside, but the entire outside is cloth.

That's for a sprain. If you have a break, I'd just let it heal.

This is what is in the current laws.

4. Other equipment
Non-dangerous protective equipment, for example headgear, facemasks
and knee and arm protectors made of soft, lightweight padded material is permitted as are goalkeepers’ caps and sports spectacles.

I’ve seen officials let players compete with hard casts that are covered with padding.
I love the AYSO rule that does not allow a player to wear a cast or splint, I can then tell the player/parent that it's not my opinion as to whether or not the cast is dangerous but rather the rules don't allow them.

I also love the the HS rule that mandates casts be covered by 1/2 inch closed cell slow recovery foam. In 20+ years of HS officiating I've had quite a few players/parents approach me with a cast covered with bubble wrap or foam and ask if it's permitted. Only one time has a player had a cast covered with the type of foam that was in accordance with HS rule requirement and she was allowed to play. Players with bubble wrap or the wrong type of foam were not allowed to play but were informed about how they could correct the problem.

My understanding and experience is that it is the referees discretion. So the referee will make the decision at the field for that game. One game he/she may be able to play with it, and another day with another official and they may be told no.

Back