Your VAR hypothetical of the week

Red team puts a through ball past the back line.

Red attacker is offside.

Flag stays down because VAR.

Blue GK catches the cross and immediately clears long to a blue attacker.

Blue attacker gets in on goal and scores.

Is this a goal? Why? Why not?

My guess would be that VAR would let the CR know there may be an infraction and review the tape.

If the Red attacker is judged to be in an offside position they would disallow the goal and award the IDK from the offside infraction spot.

I think they review most events leading up to a goal.

This play doesn't go to VAR review. If there were doubts about the offside, the fact that it was not a goal on blue's team makes the review unnecessary.

In other words, they would review only if red had scored.

It's a goal.

My understanding is that VAR can only go back to the starting point of the attack sequence when determining whether a goal is good. In your scenario, the VAR can only go back to the moment Blue team started their attack (long ball by Blue GK). Anything before that is not reviewable.

This play doesn't go to VAR review. If there were doubts about the offside, the fact that it was not a goal on blue's team makes the review unnecessary.

In other words, they would review only if red had scored.

This is what I absolutely don't understand. In the pre-VAR days, this goal doesn't get scored at all because the flag goes up and the play is dead. VAR is meant to be additive-- this effectively changes the flow of the game, and not for the better imo.

This is what I absolutely don't understand. In the pre-VAR days, this goal doesn't get scored at all because the flag goes up and the play is dead. VAR is meant to be additive-- this effectively changes the flow of the game, and not for the better imo.
Not necessarily. The flag goes up, keeper intercepts and passes. That right there is when the advantage rule comes into play and the referee doesn't whistle.

Or referee whistles keeper sees teammate open and puts ball on the ground and starts the play right away passing to that open player who creates the counterattack play.

Just because a flag goes up, doesn't mean the referee must whistle. And just because the referee whistles, doesn't mean they have to slow down or pause or stop.

Just because a flag goes up, doesn't mean the referee must whistle. And just because the referee whistles, doesn't mean they have to slow down or pause or stop.

I get it. That's a little counterintuitive to how the youth game is taught, but I get it. There's definitely an exploitable edge there to instruct your kids to immediately set the play and go on a restart of play situation-- every team is out there taking 30 seconds to set up for the long kick.

Back