Womens College Coaching Hotseat

When is SDSU going to rid itself of Friesen and Co.? What a pathetic display in all facets. I don’t see it getting any better anytime soon either. Couldn’t be more abvious that they miss JPF’s recruiting.

Yeah as an Aztec fan I’ll go ahead and say never. He’s won like 10 titles there and the parents I chat with love him. I just had this convo with Tim ward and when I said I’m an SDSU fan he raves about what a good guy and coach he is. And they have monster recruiting classes coming in 20 and 21.

They were super young last year and were killed with injuries this year. They were in the ncaas two seasons ago so not sure how pathetic that is?

Yeah as an Aztec fan I’ll go ahead and say never. He’s won like 10 titles there and the parents I chat with love him. I just had this convo with Tim ward and when I said I’m an SDSU fan he raves about what a good guy and coach he is. And they have monster recruiting classes coming in 20 and 21.

They were super young last year and were killed with injuries this year. They were in the ncaas two seasons ago so not sure how pathetic that is?
Yeah, I guess you’re right. Only been paying attention the last few years, and it seems they’re in a down turn. I used the word “pathetic “ in description of the level and style of play. I’m an Aztec fan (all sports) and hope they get things turned around. Right now......really hard to watch.

I remember JuanPa! Whatever happened to him? And is it his recruiting or his work with the mental aspect?

Got his HC break at Oakland U. I just don’t think it’s a coincidence that things have taken a negative turn upon his departure. Plus, I’ve heard of top players wanting to leave, or have left, the program as well.

Lawsuit aside, that is pretty unusual to see 4-5 players being dropped like that. Does anyone have any inside info? Maybe the girls broke some rules...

Lawsuit aside, that is pretty unusual to see 4-5 players being dropped like that. Does anyone have any inside info? Maybe the girls broke some rules...
They have 31 on the ‘19 roster, same as ‘18. Without cuts they would have had 35-36.

I don’t know Title IX inside and out, but maybe there are NCAA limits on roster size differences from men to women. The men are carrying 27 this year.

I think they call this lawnmower parenting, taken to the extreme.

More reasons to fire Neil. Like I said, a first round bow out and he is gone. Should have lost to Oregon last evening if it wasn’t for that botched keeper play.

More reasons to fire Neil. Like I said, a first round bow out and he is gone. Should have lost to Oregon last evening if it wasn’t for that botched keeper play.

You're from the East Bay and your daughter doesn't go to Cal. It sounds like your problem with McGuire is personal.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the type of people who run to daddy and file lawsuits when they get cut from sports teams are usually cancer. We'll never know why she was cut because Cal will take the high road, but I'm guessing it's because she was dragging the team down with a piss poor attitude and/or her parents were insufferable. Of course, even with the cuts, the women's team still has more players than the men. How does her lawyer explain that away? Cal violated Title IX by giving the women a bigger roster than the men, but not a much bigger roster?

They have 31 on the ‘19 roster, same as ‘18. Without cuts they would have had 35-36.

I don’t know Title IX inside and out, but maybe there are NCAA limits on roster size differences from men to women. The men are carrying 27 this year.

I think they call this lawnmower parenting, taken to the extreme.
I thought in a power 5 conference that a player couldn’t get cut? Or is it their scholarship that can’t be cut?

A non scholarship player is the same as a student on campus. This is just unnecessary
noise.

I think what board of education was referencing is that an NLI in the power five is good for all 4 years, and the only way a coach can get out of it is the player voluntarily transferring or quitting the team. There might be some posters that have more details...

Nothing against Neil. He’s underperformed at Cal for several years and honesty it would be best if the program moved on from him.

Cal is on par with UCLA in academics and is a desirable destination for smart talented female soccer player. One would expect CAL to be as successful as the school across the Bay and Amanda down south.

The people that have a beef with Neil are the 5 girls he cut and the one that’s suing him. There has to be some merit to the lawsuit. Why waste all that money and bring all that attention to your daughter.
Cancer kids usually transfer and typically don’t ask to be to be reinstated.

Nothing against Neil. He’s underperformed at Cal for several years and honesty it would be best if the program moved on from him.

Cal is on par with UCLA in academics and is a desirable destination for smart talented female soccer player. One would expect CAL to be as successful as the school across the Bay and Amanda down south.

The people that have a beef with Neil are the 5 girls he cut and the one that’s suing him. There has to be some merit to the lawsuit. Why waste all that money and bring all that attention to your daughter.
Cancer kids usually transfer and typically don’t ask to be to be reinstated.
Don’t most of Cal’s teams underperform based on the type of recruits they should be pulling in?

I went to Cal and my roommates were a manager of the football team and a cheerleader, Both would show football prospects around. But the problem they faced was that while some kids loved the urban environment, it was a little too urban for most kids, especially those from out of state. Today those same issues exist. If you are on the western side of campus the amount of homeless and tweakers is out of control, although the campus and the rest of the neighborhood is pretty nice these days. My son goes there and loves it but many of his friends chose UCLA because Westwood is way cleaner.

I think what board of education was referencing is that an NLI in the power five is good for all 4 years, and the only way a coach can get out of it is the player voluntarily transferring or quitting the team. There might be some posters that have more details...

I believe a player can be released from any program at any time. The binding part is the scholarship. You may release but they would still be on aid unless they quit or transferred. Thus when a player is a non-scholarship player, it's as if the coach is releasing a regular student from campus that tried out and wasn't good enough.

Cal had darn good basketball team when Montgomery was there. Then that carried a for a few when Bozeman took over.

Same for football in the Mariucci and Telford era.

A non scholarship player is the same as a student on campus. This is just unnecessary
noise.

A non-scholarship player listed on the roster may still get special treatments, such as early class selection, preferred housing requests, excused absences from classes for away games and home games that interfere with class schedule, etc, depending on the college policies and/or major.

Back