Why Goal-Scorers Are Converted Into Outside Backs

Thought this article needs more circulation since some parents can unjustifiably go nuts around their kid not playing an "attacking" position.

Thought this article needs more circulation since some parents can unjustifiably go nuts around their kid not playing an "attacking" position.
One thing I've noticed on the boys side is the pattern of moving target strikers (tall, strong traditional #9s) to center back when they move up in class.

A high end attacking player is unlikely going be moved to defense unless there are people that are on the team that are better attackers ( that’s essentially what the USWNT coach said about Dunn). I understand Dunn isn’t thrilled about playing that outside back position, but she probably doesn’t get the playing time as an attacking player

being Versatile as a player is a skill that coaches really value( and it can get your son or daughter on better teams )

My daughter recently played against a dominant #9 that lit us up for 3 goals in the first 20 minutes . She was moved to central mid in the second half , then to CB the last 15 minutes . She was awesome in all three positions . That will serve her well when she inevitably attempts to play for a higher level team

A high end attacking player is unlikely going be moved to defense unless there are people that are on the team that are better attackers ( that’s essentially what the USWNT coach said about Dunn). I understand Dunn isn’t thrilled about playing that outside back position, but she probably doesn’t get the playing time as an attacking player

being Versatile as a player is a skill that coaches really value( and it can get your son or daughter on better teams )

My daughter recently played against a dominant #9 that lit us up for 3 goals in the first 20 minutes . She was moved to central mid in the second half , then to CB the last 15 minutes . She was awesome in all three positions . That will serve her well when she inevitably attempts to play for a higher level team
All of this. The one thing I'll add is that attacking skills are some of the easier ones to work on individually or with one other person. A player moved to a defensive position that still wants to play an attacking position can continue to work on attacking skills. As you said, a high-end attacker will invariably end up playing the attacking role.

Kyle Walker was a #10 in the academy at Sheffield United, then transitioned to #7 and then #2, I believe Matty Cash at Villa was the same during his youth career.
Wayne Rooney was a goalkeeper at one point, Didier Drogba a center back. Players move positions as they get older, its fine.

"Most of us found our position on the field moved further away from the goal the closer we got to playing on the first team" said 9 out of 10 of us strikers at Ajax's academy.

A couple of seasons ago we had a player that tore up the B teams as a striker move up to the A team. Lots of natural talent + big + speed. Problem was at higher levels scoring goals becomes more of a team effort + less of an individual effort. For whatever reason the whole quick + fast passes and team effort never really clicked. Our coach tried to keep the player in forward type positions but she never really scored goals.

At the end of the season our coach tried playing her at defense and she was awesome! If the coach had done this earlier in the season we probabaly would have won a bunch more games.

Unfortunately her dad got angry seeing his daughter play defense + she quit playing.

Back