Why do clubs need fundraisers?

If you need more money, just charge us more. Or let kids that need some help paying do some fundraising activities.

My dds club (like many others) has a golf ball drop. This $150 fee is added to our club cost. I guess we are supposed to sell these balls to friends and family. We'll just eat the cost and hope one of our balls wins.
And they also have an annual golf tournament. Each team is "required" to have a foursome (at about $180 per player) and sell a sponsorship package totalling $2,000. And the team needs a "golf tournament" coordinator that is responsible for these things.
I don't enjoy golf much these days. And I spend my work life in sales, so I'm not interested in hustling to find someone to throw $2k at our club so a boys u16 team can fund a travel tournament.

When did these fundraisers become necessary?

I would say typically most clubs have unforeseen costs and shortages. Also, my club did this type of fundraising and uses these funds for goals, and other things like that so those costs are not passed on to every player and costs can be kept somewhat reasonable.

Those Clubs with DA and ECNL have additional funding needs that the typical club doesn't due to the fact that US Soccer wants all DA to be fully funded (including travel) and ECNL often relies heavily on scholarships. In addition, DA and ECNL have greater game costs with requirements to have 1 athletic trainer available at each DA game, locker rooms, etc. Does your club have a DA or ECNL program?

e226af06c128a51487f9ae7481084c71.jpg

Robbing Peter to pay Paul?

But also, you can think about it like this:

You may just want them to add onto the cost, but other parents may not. And I understand the point that those specific players can fundraise on their own, however, think on also a director's point of view: The directors are going to want to be able to say that they are doing all they can to let your child play for as little cost as possible. There is also side things and unexpected trips that that money could go to (Regionals, an extra tournament)

What compensation does your DOC receive? been at clubs were fundraisers went to tangible assets like lights and goals and have been at clubs where the Doc was living large. Volunteered for one and just wrote the check for the other.

I don't have an issue with whatever money a DOC or coach makes. My issue is that they should just charge us for whatever they need to in order to function.
I also hate hotel "resort fees" and paying for parking at a hotel. Just bundle it all in.
Don't disguise the cost for my kid to play in a fundraiser.
Or- give whatever my team raises directly to my team. Cover a tournament. But everyone a warm up. Give us a team tent. Send the team manager to a spa day for having to deal with parents.
Or do something that is more reasonable than a golf tournament.

I don't have an issue with whatever money a DOC or coach makes. My issue is that they should just charge us for whatever they need to in order to function.
I also hate hotel "resort fees" and paying for parking at a hotel. Just bundle it all in.
Or- give whatever my team raises directly to my team. Cover a tournament. But everyone a warm up. Give us a team tent. Send the team manager to a spa day for having to deal with parents.

What's wrong with a Golf tournament?
Many clubs is doing it and it's the easiest fundraiser to do. All it requires is to send your friends/colleagues/people you know a friendly e-mail or post it on your social media and you will be surprised how many people may be willing to help you with that.
Many people (like myself) just prefer to write checks and it's nothing wrong with that either.

Few clubs doing regular soccer tournaments for their fundraisers, which requires parents to actually do a lot of volunteering work with very little return. Golf tournament requires very little work with a lot more return.

On another note, if you think that your club is doing a fundraiser and other clubs don't - you are mistaken.

Amen, brother! Somebody get Timbuck a drink.

What's wrong with a Golf tournament?

Golf tournaments can make a decent amount of money compared to fundraisers like selling wrapping paper or candy bars or doing raffles. Mandatory fundraisers where NONE of the money goes to the teams and all of the money goes ??? are what I have a problem with. The golf tournament for the club based off of your monicker is a sham. They require each team to get a foursome of golfers at $200 per player ($800 per foresome), they also require each team to put together a gift basket (auction item) valued at a minimum of $500 and they require each team to get a tee sponsor at $250 a pop. If any of these items are not fulfilled by the team.... guess what...... the money comes out of the team account. Golfing is an elite sport, a lot of middle to lower class families don't play golf or know anyone that does. Not only that but each team is required to have a minimum number of parents working at the golf tournament and guess what... it is always on a working day (Monday). So if your team is unable to find any golfers you are docked $800 which is easily one tournament. And where does the money go? LOL - Nobody knows. The DOC will tell the managers that they made money and asked how much, oh an email will go out to the managers and let you know. No email ever goes out. The money is likely paying the $140k per year salary of the DOC and to pay scholarships for superstar older players that the club doesn't want to lose, NONE of it goes to the teams.

I've seen teams from clubs pull off a golf tournament on an individual basis where they team organizes and runs the tournament and the team gets all the money. Hats off to the teams that can do that. Hats on to the clubs that run the sham tournaments.

And they also have an annual golf tournament. Each team is "required" to have a foursome (at about $180 per player) and sell a sponsorship package totalling $2,000.
That sucks...I would raise hell if we had to do that. Can you rally the parents together and demand transparency as to where the funds go?

That sucks...I would raise hell if we had to do that. Can you rally the parents together and demand transparency as to where the funds go?
Sure, like they are going to do that. Have you ever heard of any club being transparent about their $? No. It's never going to happen.

Heck- I don't even care about the transparency. Hide money. Embezzle money. Buy your mistress a Range Rover with club funds. But just tell me the cost up front in 1 easy to digest amount.
Don't charge me a club fee, a golf ball drop fee and then force me to get involved in a golf tournament.

Sure, like they are going to do that. Have you ever heard of any club being transparent about their $? No. It's never going to happen.

I have been associated with three clubs closely enough to get a glimpse of their "transparency", and know some of the leadership of two others as personal friends. I didn't see any problems with any of them.

I have been associated with three clubs closely enough to get a glimpse of their "transparency", and know some of the leadership of two others as personal friends. I didn't see any problems with any of them.
Non-profits are for profit. Come on.

If you need more money, just charge us more. Or let kids that need some help paying do some fundraising activities.

My dds club (like many others) has a golf ball drop. This $150 fee is added to our club cost. I guess we are supposed to sell these balls to friends and family. We'll just eat the cost and hope one of our balls wins.
And they also have an annual golf tournament. Each team is "required" to have a foursome (at about $180 per player) and sell a sponsorship package totalling $2,000. And the team needs a "golf tournament" coordinator that is responsible for these things.
I don't enjoy golf much these days. And I spend my work life in sales, so I'm not interested in hustling to find someone to throw $2k at our club so a boys u16 team can fund a travel tournament.

When did these fundraisers become necessary?

Are these fundraisers included in the initial contract you signed with the club? If it is not in the contract, than don't pay it. I have a friend who is an attorney and refused to sell raffle tickets for his DD club fundraiser. The club said his DD playing time would be reduced if she did not sell the $200 in raffle tickets. The attorney pointed out to them that their contract specified reasons why playing time could be decreased and that failing to sell raffle tickets was not one of those reasons. The club caved in to the attorney. When the other player's parents found out, they refused to sell the tickets. This trickled down to other teams on the club. The next year the fundraiser was included in the contract with a buyout option.

Back