When should a player look for a new club?

I don't disagree. I know a few parents on the girls side that love their coach and do their best to tolerate the club. Although, some I know (mostly on the boys side) are just afraid to leave the club for fear of retribution or "missing an opportunity" that has been promised but never delivered.

We made the decision to find both good coaches and a good club. Why compromise? I think the parents that are tolerating the BS don't realize what they're missing out on. It is honestly night and day difference. (Now granted we had a crappy coach too, so the situations are different to some extent)

At the end of the day everyone has to make the decision that is best suited for them as a family. Even though he is the most adaptable kid I know, he initially says "no" to anything that involves something new. As the parent I believe its my responsibility to put my child in the best position to succeed in life. I put a lot of weight in what my kids' input is, but at the end of the day as the adults in the family, my wife and I make the final decision.

Half of Albions superstar boys DA team rolled out and are just fine. They were not scared. Two just got called up to YNT.

Half of Albions superstar boys DA team rolled out and are just fine. They were not scared. Two just got called up to YNT.

A couple of ODP coaches told me they had some kids come back from a couple MLS DA academies. Parents upset they had regressed. Kids leave more than what DA teams lead one to believe. Some of those kids also move onto d1 college teams or play pro ball domestically. DA isnt end all. Just have to find a place where the KIDS are happy

No I think it's more than that. It's learning to balance their goals and aspirations with what he club can offer and what the realistic expectations of development and end game is for your family.
Having fun isn't a reason to play DA.

No I think it's more than that. It's learning to balance their goals and aspirations with what he club can offer and what the realistic expectations of development and end game is for your family.

Once the fun or love is removed it becomes a job. Dont know when this would be okay unless kid is world class and helps family out of poor living environment - via free education or playing pro.

The DA is a grind. It does not matter how much you love soccer it's a grind. Families need to be realistic because I have seen many girls who are not happy and have lost a love of the game. It's not for everyone

The DA is a grind. It does not matter how much you love soccer it's a grind. Families need to be realistic because I have seen many girls who are not happy and have lost a love of the game. It's not for everyone

From the words of a parent who's little Mia didn't make DA...sad:(

The problem is sometimes its the parents' goals and aspirations, not the kids...

“donor families?” Curious by what you mean by this. I assume people are “donating $” to the club and expecting preferential treatment?

From the words of a parent who's little Mia didn't make DA...sad:(
Sage words. I’m so glad you were able to climb down from your cloud of judgement for that little number. You must be so proud of your girl barely leveraging her sports background to get into a state school. Slug.

The problem is sometimes its the parents' goals and aspirations, not the kids...
usually is the parents aspirations. my kid trains 4x a week (not da or flight 1) due to goalkeeping & skills training. it is a grind at times but my kid LOVES to train - most of the time. Some kids on our teams play club, fustal, sunday league and whatever else they can play. Some kids often go missing and when asked "Why?" its usually "i just wanted to play video games for a day. never get to". Some of the kids saying it are playing high level. They get mentally burnt out. Sometimes putting a ball down for a few weeks helps. I dont know many kids who want to train 5x a week, play all weekend for 44-52 weeks a year. just a different type of personality to enjoy that type of grind. i enjoy my kid improving himself but not at the expense of his or my misery.

I agree. I fought my kid to the end as the DA programs here in SD are a joke but he really wanted to play DA. He ended up quitting by November because of the grind and no time for a job, girlfriend, etc. I knew when we were talking one day about getting a job to pay for gas and he said "I have a job, it is playing DA and it is 5-6 days a week."

“donor families?” Curious by what you mean by this. I assume people are “donating $” to the club and expecting preferential treatment?

i never heard of the term but I do know families who pay more into a club in order to cover the costs of kids that need help. they dont do it as charity. although theyll mention they sponsor kids, even if not asked. they do it so their kid can play at higher level DA/Flight 1 - even if their talent isnt at that level and sit on the bench the entire game. Im sure most clubs have a few kids who pay a premium for such accommodations

I agree. I fought my kid to the end as the DA programs here in SD are a joke but he really wanted to play DA. He ended up quitting by November because of the grind and no time for a job, girlfriend, etc. I knew when we were talking one day about getting a job to pay for gas and he said "I have a job, it is playing DA and it is 5-6 days a week."
funny and not funny at the same time. haha

I agree with the first part of your statement but girls DA has only been around for 5 months. How can you have seen many girls who are not happy already? What do you mean by many?

I agree with the first part of your statement but girls DA has only been around for 5 months. How can you have seen many girls who are not happy already? What do you mean by many?
I know plenty of families, 03s especially. They got hit with high school and extra practices right when many are increasing their social lives. 02s as well but as they have garnered interest from colleges it has helped them to refocus.

If this is happening obviously we all agree with you. Unfortunately though this is a global issue, not specific to this club.
Special favors, play time arrangements, donor families, etc are at every single club and i know you know this.
Blackballing is also common- there have been many a family told "about the small soccer world" lol
Yes but it take a special kind of a$@hole to call another DOC and make things up when he does not get his way. Thank goodness credible coachs and DOCs dont believe his crap.

So then what do you think of all the Doc announcements lately ?
I can honestly say that CC was the only DoC I ever heard making a difference
Most of them make a difference, unfortunately not for the better. I think CC was a good DOC but did not fit in with the new regime. Plus I think he was a lazy coach and should have just been DOC.

Shannon is a good DOC. I believe she was able to stop a lot of players from going to Surf. Unfortunately while she was focused on that, a lot on the boys side went to Albion instead.

DOCs are more relevant at smaller clubs but can set the tone for coach behavior even at the larger clubs. Unfortunately most of them have blinders on.

I know plenty of families, 03s especially. They got hit with high school and extra practices right when many are increasing their social lives. 02s as well but as they have garnered interest from colleges it has helped them to refocus.

Well DA is not for everyone. It takes a special kid to retain their focus and commitment to soccer while balancing their grades, social life, and the desire to get a job. But don't believe for a second that it is any easier playing college ball especially during the fall semester. In fact if they can't hang with the DA demands of practice four days a week while balancing these other things I can't see how they could hang playing college soccer. The good news is there is a lot of different levels of soccer from DA down to rec ball that works based on what someone wants to get out of it.

You know how marketing reps at companies will fly potential clients across the country and take them out to Morton’s and drop thousands on wine and steak? That.

Back