When/how to start recruitment process

I hope this hasn't already been answered ad nauseum, but at what age did your daughters start the recruitment process? Did you send coaches videos, or just ask them to attend games? I'm sure we will get the clubs help when the times comes, but I'm curious about parent opinions as to what works.

I hope this hasn't already been answered ad nauseum, but at what age did your daughters start the recruitment process? Did you send coaches videos, or just ask them to attend games? I'm sure we will get the clubs help when the times comes, but I'm curious about parent opinions as to what works.
After Freshman year start complying video footage of club and high school games. Play for a club team that has coaches with college contacts, make sure her club team is playing in known college showcases, have her make a list of schools where she would want to go to regardless of playing soccer, go to ID Camps...especially to the schools on her list, have her email the Coaches, have her Club Coach follow up for you.
But the most important part is...do not stop saving money for her college education. Unless she is the top player in the country or you qualify for Government aid (fasfa), expect a partial financial packet with the rest coming out of your pocket. For D1, fully funded programs only have 14 scholarships, non-fully funded only have 11 scholarships. The top schools in the country are loaded with National Team call ups, but only a few are getting full athletic rides. Some are getting a combo of athletic/financial aid funds and some just get Government cash. At the end of the day, free money is free money...it doesn't really matter where the money comes from as long as her education is paid for. I used this process for an older daughter who went to college on a Basketball Scholarship. I followed the same steps for my soccer player who has committed to one of the top schools on her list. Hope this helps.

go to ID Camps...especially to the schools on her list
My freshman DD will soon attend her first ID camp at a college she would love to attend (and love even more to play soccer for). What should she expect? Do these camps genuinely make an attempt to evaluate the girls and give feedback that will be useful in targeting their efforts to get recruited?

My freshman DD will soon attend her first ID camp at a college she would love to attend (and love even more to play soccer for). What should she expect? Do these camps genuinely make an attempt to evaluate the girls and give feedback that will be useful in targeting their efforts to get recruited?
Unfortunately College ID Camps don't really give out evaluations on individual players; however you can get a more one on one eval at a Combine ID Camp, where there are more colleges represented evaluating talent. Expect that every girl showing up will be just as nervous as her. Tell her to go hard on everything and leave it all on the field. Her first camp will either open her eyes as to what she needs to do to get noticed for the next camp or she will be in awe of all the talented players out there. Regardless, this is her first camp and it will be exciting to watch her compete against girls her age and older. Colleges are always looking for recruits and it seems they are looking at younger talent every year. Just getting her name out there is the first step...good luck.

If it is a large camp with much more than 50 players in attendance, it is primarily a money making camp for the college team. It is still possible to get noticed, but she will need to really stand out. To get any feedback, she will need to talk to the coaching staff and ask for feedback. These camps are still valuable experiences for young players that do not get noticed since it allows them to play with and against older, more experienced players. If it is an invite only camp with a smaller number of players, it is easier to stand out and get some feedback from the coaching staff. Good luck to her!

Interesting...it's like 3 PDA (and YNT) goalkeepers either at or going to Rutgers now...(however, I know they get alot of PDA girls in general though, it is their "local" club...)

Interesting...it's like 3 PDA (and YNT) goalkeepers either at or going to Rutgers now...(however, I know they get alot of PDA girls in general though, it is their "local" club...)

They definitely try to keep their best local players. It still is pretty ridiculous to offer scholarships to kids with less than a year of high school coursework.

Not worth the paper it's not written on.
While I agree, when does it become worth the ether the verbals commitment is spoken into? In other words, when is a reasonable time for players to commit and is there anyway to ensure that happens?

While I agree, when does it become worth the ether the verbals commitment is spoken into? In other words, when is a reasonable time for players to commit and is there anyway to ensure that happens?

I would say that a good time would be 2nd half of sophomore or beginning of junior year. It would be much better if they could wait until the end of junior year but that would require some sort of unwritten rule that is universally respected. It would probably have to come from US Soccer.

Now there is a use for US Soccer dictating something from the top.

I always take these informal early commitments with a grain of salt. Since it is against NCAA regulations for coaches to be contacting players that young, you have to realize it is often parent-driven.

It would be an interesting economics study to trace the career paths of early commits through college and beyond, and see how many work out.

I always take these informal early commitments with a grain of salt. Since it is against NCAA regulations for coaches to be contacting players that young, you have to realize it is often parent-driven.

It would be an interesting economics study to trace the career paths of early commits through college and beyond, and see how many work out.

Espola, other than basketball, I don't think there is any rule against contacting kids before high school - it's odd. Kids become prospects once they enter high school. Maybe it changed recently, but that's my understanding of the NCAA rules.

Espola, other than basketball, I don't think there is any rule against contacting kids before high school - it's odd. Kids become prospects once they enter high school. Maybe it changed recently, but that's my understanding of the NCAA rules.

So the parents had nothing to do with it?

I would say that a good time would be 2nd half of sophomore or beginning of junior year. It would be much better if they could wait until the end of junior year but that would require some sort of unwritten rule that is universally respected. It would probably have to come from US Soccer.

Now there is a use for US Soccer dictating something from the top.

US Soccer is part of the reason for the early recruiting, because of IDing players for YNT camps.

Ways to curb early recruiting.
1. Stop IDing youth players such as YNT pool/team
2. No college showcases until U16
3. Enforce transfers to redshirt like football

US Soccer is part of the reason for the early recruiting, because of IDing players for YNT camps.

Ways to curb early recruiting.
1. Stop IDing youth players such as YNT pool/team
2. No college showcases until U16
3. Enforce transfers to redshirt like football
When did your daughter commit, I know you have said before.

When did your daughter commit, I know you have said before.
HS sophomore, I attribute her early committment to making the Region IV ODP team for 2 years. It is another form of IDing players at a young age. Eliminate IDing players at a young age and it will curb the early college committments. I bet Rutgers wouldn't have verbally offered an 8th grader, if she wasn't on the U16 YNT.

90% of the YNT players in 1999 age group were committed by their HS sophomore year.

HS sophomore, I attribute her early committment to making the Region IV ODP team for 2 years. It is another form of IDing players at a young age. Eliminate IDing players at a young age and it will curb the early college committments. I bet Rutgers wouldn't have verbally offered an 8th grader, if she wasn't on the U16 YNT.

90% of the YNT players in 1999 age group were committed by their HS sophomore year.
Topdrawersoccer who ranks recruits is another form of early IDing. This is based on the 2019 HS grad class.
https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/clu...demy-top-150-spring-update:-girls-20_aid41785

There are 308 reported 2019 HS sophomores verbally committed and this list doesn't capture all of them. I bet it's closer to a minimum of 400.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/sea...Rating=&stateId=All&pageNo=0&area=commitments

You and your daughter are happy with the outcome, so far?

Topdrawersoccer who ranks recruits is another form of early IDing. This is based on the 2019 HS grad class.
https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/clu...demy-top-150-spring-update:-girls-20_aid41785

There are 308 reported 2019 HS sophomores verbally committed and this list doesn't capture all of them. I bet it's closer to a minimum of 400.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/sea...Rating=&stateId=All&pageNo=0&area=commitments
It will be interesting to see how TDS tracks teams and players with the advent of GDA. TDS has typically been almost exclusively focused on ECNL. Lots of changes coming, for better or worse.

Back