What's going on Cal South and State Cup Semi's?

"For the two weeks building up to State Cup, we were working on our alibis and reciting our dates of birth."

They could just play it straight , something like --
"The team survived an eligibility protest when one member was cleared as eligible for all past games, but ineligible for all remaining games in the tournament".

For the two weeks leading up to the Cal South State Cup Presidents Division Final, Anaheim Surf Coach Brent Whitfield was working on defending with his group of 2006 girls. After sliding through the group phase with three consecutive wins over major clubs like So Cal Blues, San Diego SC and Beach FC, he knew that the knockout phase would be a lot more challenging.

And so it was. Once Anaheim Surf landed in the knockout round, they would go up against strong teams like Strikers FC, LA Galaxy South Bay, Legends FC, and finally, the San Diego Surf. All knockout games, as well as the championship game where the Orange County team defeated their San Diego affiliates 1-0, were challenging, no blowout games, no easy opponent.

“One half, everyone was attacking, second half, everyone was defending,” coach Whitfield said following the final championship match. “We were fortunate to get a goal in the first half and kind of just held our own in the second half, defending.

“For me, we’ve been kind of one-and-two with San Diego Surf the entire year. It was a long journey, back and forth with each other. They beat us, we beat them. To end the season, on a high note, it’s the biggest accomplishment for my team, my parents, the club. Very proud of all my girls and all the support I’ve had from the parents,” he added.

Game-in and game-out, through every training, the girls put all their heart and soul in order to get their team to where they are today. Sure, the girls are talented at what they do and practice makes perfect, but aside from training, the girls must click together, and that was the boost that coach Whitfield believes made them State Cup Champions.

“Just the camaraderie; they hang out together, team bonding, the parents are really close,” he said. “The more they’re together, I think it provides more togetherness with the group and it’s like they’re all sisters, all 13 of my kids. They’re always together and there’s a bond. Hopefully we can stick together and keep moving forward.”
Not a word in there about the controversy. This reads like a press release from <insert least favorite politician>
Stolen valor.

If the allegations are true, there is only 1 person in that picture that didn't earn it and doesn't deserve the accolades. Can't blame the young ladies.
If the allegations are true, then we have a coach who knew that a girls played as a 2005 last year, but he signed her up as a 2006 this year, using a change in the spelling of her name to get around Calsouth's CORIS system of registration. We also had the girl's parents participate. It has been said that there is a cousin on the team; that family would certainly know what was going on. Finally, it is said that there was a third player who came as part of the package. That family probably must have known, too.

No coach or parent reported the name-change or the birth certificate change at the time of the registration, nor at any time until a challenge was made during the middle of State Cup. Even Surf's purported lawyer suggested that there was something wrong with the birth certificate, but that Surf should be exonerated because it just didn't know.

But, even if the girls on the team are not personally "blameworthy," they are accountable, and they should be stripped of the wins obtained as a result of having an overrage player. Not because they "intentionally" cheated, but because, whether or not they were aware, they had an overage player on the team. And the same is true with Surf. It doesn't matter if it "knew." It's team played with an unfair advantage.

So now Surf is showing its trophy on the website, and apparently the coach is talking about how great he is. This is what youth sport has come to in America.

There isn't alot anyone can do about it except to keep the issue alive and to remind the families and that their trophy was not earned but stolen. I sugguest everyone copy the SCDSL website's roster for the Anaheim Surf G2006 team, so the players will be easy to follow as they move from team to team.

When I say "follow" the players, I mean "keep track" of what teams they are playing on; I don't mean to actually "follow" them in a physical sense. For God's sake, don't do that. I just don't want anyone to misinterpret my meaning.

The original birth certificate was produced and examined by multiple CalSouth officials and was declared genuine. The girl was born in 2006. Anything else is just speculation. There are a lot of people spouting alternative facts and rumors stated as facts, and it is irresponsible and defamatory.

The original birth certificate was produced and examined by multiple CalSouth officials and was declared genuine. The girl was born in 2006. Anything else is just speculation. There are a lot of people spouting alternative facts and rumors stated as facts, and it is irresponsible and defamatory.
Thanks, Thunderbolt. When you tell us (a) whether and why she had an earlier 2005 birth certificate; (b) whether and why the spelling on her name was changed in the CORIS system, and (c) why she didn't play in State Cup games after the challenge, then maybe you will have some credibility.

Why can't you just address these facts directly. Until you do, you are just another mouthpiece trying to cover up a disgraceful act of unsportsmanlike conduct perpetrated by Surf.

Not according to KP or CM who handled the matter from the initial stages. They feel differently and have said as much. And, were not in attendance in that meeting as you know. Those that wanted this situation to go away were only asked to attend. Why were the plaintiffs not there? So, to say these are rumors, irresponsible, and defamatory is nothing but trying to derail the truth of the matter.

Thunderbolt - take the first step. Tell us whether the girl used a 2005 birth certificate at any time.

Thunderbolt, take the second step. Was the girl ruled ineligible for additional State Cup games? If so, why? If not, why didn't she play?

I understand that this is a controversy, so therefore interesting, but when is enough enough? Its 10 year old girls soccer.

Unless your DD was "denied" a medal because of all this, why do you all care so much?

The truth is the truth, and those that are involved have to live with what they did or did not do.

While its certainly entertaining to see all the crazy posts, maybe its time to just accept what happened, whether you like it or not?

I understand that this is a controversy, so therefore interesting, but when is enough enough? Its 10 year old girls soccer.

Unless your DD was "denied" a medal because of all this, why do you all care so much?

The truth is the truth, and those that are involved have to live with what they did or did not do.

While its certainly entertaining to see all the crazy posts, maybe its time to just accept what happened, whether you like it or not?

There is no statute of limitations on ethics.

So now you want to sue someone?

Nevermind, sorry I ever read this posting in the first place.

mike drop, I'm out.

Unless your DD was "denied" a medal because of all this, why do you all care so much? .... maybe its time to just accept what happened, whether you like it or not?

It's a good question, OCSDad. I'll give you my personal reasons:

1. When cheaters are allowed to get away with it, they gain long term advantages over those who play by the rules. If a team wins a championship by cheating, it can more easily recruit other players, and thus gain a long term competitive and financial advantage as a result of its unfair play. That violates the "cheaters never prosper" rule each of us passes on to our children. So I want to find out if Surf cheated.

2. Most people have a general sense of outrage when somebody else cheats and gets away with it. And it doesn't matter if your family is "directly" affected. Whether you are talking about "deflategate," or 13-year-olds pitching in Little League, or cyclists taking secret PED injections, everybody feels a sense of anger because we "feel" cheated and betrayed by the athletes and teams we rooted for. So I want to find out if Surf cheated.

At this point, Surf has dodged all the questions posed by myself and others which could put this controversy to rest. Surf's silence leads me to believe that something terribly wrong has happened, and Surf just doesn't want to address it.

Is it time to move on? Not until Surf gives us some real answers.

It's a good question, OCSDad. I'll give you my personal reasons:

1. When cheaters are allowed to get away with it, they gain long term advantages over those who play by the rules. If a team wins a championship by cheating, it can more easily recruit other players, and thus gain a long term competitive and financial advantage as a result of its unfair play. That violates the "cheaters never prosper" rule each of us passes on to our children. So I want to find out if Surf cheated.

2. Most people have a general sense of outrage when somebody else cheats and gets away with it. And it doesn't matter if your family is "directly" affected. Whether you are talking about "deflategate," or 13-year-olds pitching in Little League, or cyclists taking secret PED injections, everybody feels a sense of anger because we "feel" cheated and betrayed by the athletes and teams we rooted for. So I want to find out if Surf cheated.

At this point, Surf has dodged all the questions posed by myself and others which could put this controversy to rest. Surf's silence leads me to believe that something terribly wrong has happened, and Surf just doesn't want to address it.

Is it time to move on? Not until Surf gives us some real answers.

One would think that Surf would not want a reputation for being backroom bullies to overcome their reputation for excellence on the pitch.

Back