What would you do? Possible disbanding of team...

Goalies should be held to higher standards in terms of commitment. Stick with your current team but also give the coach a deadline to find players for national cup or disband the team so all players can find a club.
Goalies should receive higher level of commitment from the clubs, coaches and teammates, but they don't. For all the physical attributes required to be a good goalie, the mental part is even more important, yet few clubs/coaches know how to nurture that part of the game.

Goalies should receive higher level of commitment from the clubs, coaches and teammates, but they don't. For all the physical attributes required to be a good goalie, the mental part is even more important, yet few clubs/coaches know how to nurture that part of the game.
Goalie is the toughest position and I’m glad my kids never wanted to play that position. My point is if you lose a goalie right before a tournament, you put the entire team at risk. Now if your child was not treated fairly by the coach or the kids, sure leave if you want. I am just saying there’s added responsibility on a goalie. Keep in mind the upside of being a goalie is that they play every minute unless the team has a 2nd goalie. You can’t say for the rest of the players.

I am not a keeper parent and I am not sure of the age group here. But if we are talking olders, almost every high level team will have at least two keepers on the roster in case of injuries or illness. Hopefully they get to split time when traveling to tournaments, but I have seen keepers travel out of state and not play.

I am not a keeper parent and I am not sure of the age group here. But if we are talking olders, almost every high level team will have at least two keepers on the roster in case of injuries or illness. Hopefully they get to split time when traveling to tournaments, but I have seen keepers travel out of state and not play.

It works out better if your backup keeper is also a strong enough field player that he can get his minutes that way.

Agree...and not knowing where we were going to play would mess up my daughter. Like other people said, you have to make decisions in the best interest of your child while considering the commitment aspects. The reality is, this isn't a major career decision...it is kid's soccer. I would let your kid drive the decision with some consulting on commitment.

Goalie is the toughest position and I’m glad my kids never wanted to play that position. My point is if you lose a goalie right before a tournament, you put the entire team at risk. Now if your child was not treated fairly by the coach or the kids, sure leave if you want. I am just saying there’s added responsibility on a goalie. Keep in mind the upside of being a goalie is that they play every minute unless the team has a 2nd goalie. You can’t say for the rest of the players.
50/50 goalie split is usually either lower level team or youngers (in our experience)
Unless it is a low level team a goalie cannot play on the field at the level as the field players (at least in our experience)
My DD has finished every season with the club she committed to at tryouts (at the club's election 1 year she moved up an age group to help out a team were the goalie was injured); even when she knew she was moving on after National Cup. We believe in honoring our commitments, even if clubs don't always reciprocate the commitment.

Goalies should be held to higher standards in terms of commitment. Stick with your current team but also give the coach a deadline to find players for national cup or disband the team so all players can find a club.
Then pay for my daughters keeper gloves. :) 103 degree fever, sneezing, coughing, bruised foot, sore knee, hurt arm, our kids play. Amazing what our keepers and us parents go through. Then again playing every single minute for the past 4 years is pretty nice. Didn't realize how nice until daughter started playing Varsity basketball and sits on the bench 3/4 of the game.

Back