What is the rule...

No, the captain has no special privileges, and no, players have no such rights as you describe.

But having said that, any player can ask for an explanation or clarification, not just the captain.
Maybe I phrased it incorrectly but according to her coach, if she is in the vicinity of play and it is a questionable call, she is to ask oppose to having 3 girls all asking at once - that's all.

Unless the captain is wearing an armband I'm likely not going to remember she is the captain. I tend to have to look at my book for the captain's jersey numbers. In a moment where a goal was just scored and the intensity of the match has been elevated, with your daughter questioning the ref in that moment I'm not surprised she didn't get much in way of an explanation. In those situations it can be a no win to engage with a player or coach. Based on your descriptions it sounds like a good no call situation.

Maybe I phrased it incorrectly but according to her coach, if she is in the vicinity of play and it is a questionable call, she is to ask oppose to having 3 girls all asking at once - that's all.
I doubt that the coach nor his/her players have ever persuaded a ref to reverse a call in a similar situation. Or any situation. If the ref had any doubts , he wasn't going to reverse himself for fear of reaction from the opposing team. That's just human nature. But coaches and players typically try but there is no upside. There's always the downside of getting carded.

It's hard to offer an opinion without seeing the incident or a good video. Even then, if we had the video there would probably be a lot of discussion about the event. Some of the opinions that might be offered:
1. Attacker lost her footing and subsequently tripped or unfairly charged your DD such that both ended up on the ground - should have been DFK for your team
2. DD fouled the attacker causing her to go down - PK but advantage immediately accrued so Goal
3. No foul in initial contact but DD fouled the attacker by using her legs to hold down the player - PK but advantage immediately accrued so Goal
4. No foul in the initial contact, dangerous play by attacker - IDFK for your team
5. No foul in the initial contact, no dangerous play - Goal (Your situation)
The referee was there, saw it all, and offered his opinion, i.e. no call. His game, his call, his reputation!
You can see with all the different possibilities that it is a difficult call. A different call and maybe we hear a parent from another team on this site asking why they didn't get the goal. Always thought you couldn't play the ball while on the ground, so learned something new. Thanks everyone.

Back