What’s the latest with West Coast FC/OC Surf merger

I heard of a parent emailing a team manager falsifying he was a parent of a player on the team. He requested to also add his email address to the team distribution list. It was a new account. This parent is now a coach.

But at the end of the day, a player can only be poached if they (or their parents) want to be. So what's the big deal? Just say no if you are not interested. But to some, it may be a blessing of they get an offer from a club/team/coach they never thought they could be with.

Back on topic-
Was talking soccer shop with a few people at a few different times over the weekend and among other items, OC Surf/West Coast was discussed. Anyone with more knowledge than me comment on these items:
  • I heard from a friend that many of their former ECNL players are looking at all outside options. Either they don't like who will be coaching DA or they want to play high school. I know a few of their Pre-Academy girls have moved to a funded 05 program for the upcoming year.
  • They also mentioned fields being a big issue since they did not renew with Great Park. Where will OC Surf practice/play this year?
    • Which teams will practice where? On their website they list:
      • Irvine: Concordia University, OC Great Park
      • Mission Viejo (Both of these are basically Newhart Middle School/Norman Murray Community Center): Oso Fields Village Green Fields B&C
      • San Juan Capistrano: San Juan Hills High School, Ambuehl Elementary, J Serra
      • Lake Forest: Lake Forest Sports Complex
  • Their 04 Team that was Flight 1 this past season (finished in last place, but had a decent run in President's cup), will be their DPL team for the upcoming season.
    • Will this be a combo of the flight 1 team and ecnl team? Any movement between these teams? (IE - anyone from ECNL or F1 moving to DA? Or from DA to the DPL team?)
  • Their tournament scheduled for mid-August is still titled "West Coast Futbol Classic"
  • Have Surf uniform orders been placed yet?

Back on topic-
  • They also mentioned fields being a big issue since they did not renew with Great Park. Where will OC Surf practice/play this year?
      • Mission Viejo (Both of these are basically Newhart Middle School/Norman Murray Community Center): Oso Fields Village Green Fields B&C
  • Their tournament scheduled for mid-August is still titled "West Coast Futbol Classic"

Here's what I know... Several olders boys teams are continuing to use JSerra for training. This facility is shared with the Blues and a Capo FC, the latter stay on south end/softball fields. Correct, tournament still called West Coast Futbol Classic, but the golf tournament / ball drop has been renamed to "OC Surf Golf Tournament and Ball Drop". No uniforms placed yet for the boys ECNL teams.

Here's what I know... Several olders boys teams are continuing to use JSerra for training. This facility is shared with the Blues and a Capo FC, the latter stay on south end/softball fields. Correct, tournament still called West Coast Futbol Classic, but the golf tournament / ball drop has been renamed to "OC Surf Golf Tournament and Ball Drop". No uniforms placed yet for the boys ECNL teams.
They are going to have boys ECNL next year but girls will be DA?

They are going to have boys ECNL next year but girls will be DA?

Yes, pretty much. Have not seen that officially stated, but you can check the website and see there are no girls ECNL teams listed for 2018-19.
A month or two ago those 18/19 listings had ECNL and DA coaching assignments.

Back on topic-
Was talking soccer shop with a few people at a few different times over the weekend and among other items, OC Surf/West Coast was discussed. Anyone with more knowledge than me comment on these items:
  • I heard from a friend that many of their former ECNL players are looking at all outside options. Either they don't like who will be coaching DA or they want to play high school. I know a few of their Pre-Academy girls have moved to a funded 05 program for the upcoming year.
  • Their 04 Team that was Flight 1 this past season (finished in last place, but had a decent run in President's cup), will be their DPL team for the upcoming season.
    • Will this be a combo of the flight 1 team and ecnl team? Any movement between these teams? (IE - anyone from ECNL or F1 moving to DA? Or from DA to the DPL team?)
The new DPL 04 team will be the old 04 ECNL team. 1 player moved up from ECNL to DA.

Sideline chatter has a few of the better WC ECNL girls in different age groups moving to Slammers ECNL and DA. Any truth to that?

Not just Slammers, but moved to multiple ECNL Clubs.

I've heard chatter from many ECNL and DA teams leaving one club to another. Heard several girls from Slammers leaving, some from SD Surf leaving their clubs - some coming to OC Surf as well....that time of year for ALL clubs. I would think the "free" clubs might have some advantage --- but you have to weigh the coaching ---heck Slammers 04 DA had 3 coaches this year.... By the end of the year they seemed to be stabilized and playing well. I do think movement in DA will be less than other divisions as the season is 10 months long and the main "jump off" date is July 1st (late) but will see.

Back