What’s the latest with West Coast FC/OC Surf merger

Guess they haven't quite figured out that higher math...

You are definitely going to figure it out this year. I will give you the answer like Jeopardy and you can figure out the math in reverse.

Answer: 990

When will OC Surf teams officially drop the West Coast gear?
I saw several teams this weekend rocking full west coast kits. Including parents on the sidelines and stickers on the SUVs.

I'm assuming when their respective teams season's are over - DA and ECNL are still in season
When will OC Surf teams officially drop the West Coast gear?
I saw several teams this weekend rocking full west coast kits. Including parents on the sidelines and stickers on the SUVs.

Some teams have already converted--the new uniforms just say Surf--not OC surf, so you may have seen some west coast teams without realizing it.

Didn't think full kits are ready to purchase. Just the practice/training shirts which only say "Surf", soccer.com is the supplier, anyone can take a look ...

anyone else have their coaches contacting your players or other kids on your teams via phone? One new coach at OC Surf took parent contacts with him and is having other coaches calling them. He will deny it, but no other way to get the numbers of players getting called. Another coach has been bugging a player even after the parent told him not to call them again, the call wasnt solicited and the parents are wondering how he got their number. A friend of mine's team has been on an full out defense to stop kids getting poached. Even had to send out articles and info about the sale and promises they are making.

Coaches are going to hand out cards at tournaments and ask about players, some folks have almost become accustomed to that happening. Ethical coaches still get mad, but know its been part of the equation for decades. When coaches start calling up people out of the blue or start sending other kids/parents to talk to players, that is straight out DOUCHERY. Need a new mechanism where you should get your licenses revoked by doing stuff like that

See my previous post...get used to this as it will only get worse as the mega clubs continue to consolidate and fight for supremacy. They have no track record of in-house development and wouldn't know where to start so they need to poach to coach.

anyone else have their coaches contacting your players or other kids on your teams via phone? One new coach at OC Surf took parent contacts with him and is having other coaches calling them. He will deny it, but no other way to get the numbers of players getting called. Another coach has been bugging a player even after the parent told him not to call them again, the call wasnt solicited and the parents are wondering how he got their number. A friend of mine's team has been on an full out defense to stop kids getting poached. Even had to send out articles and info about the sale and promises they are making.

Coaches are going to hand out cards at tournaments and ask about players, some folks have almost become accustomed to that happening. Ethical coaches still get mad, but know its been part of the equation for decades. When coaches start calling up people out of the blue or start sending other kids/parents to talk to players, that is straight out DOUCHERY. Need a new mechanism where you should get your licenses revoked by doing stuff like that

It is certainly douchey to do this. But I don't think there is anything you can do about it. It's pretty easy to hunt down parents of kids if a coach wants to get ahold of them. Rosters are publised for all leagues and many tournaments. See a player. Check facebook or linkedin for parent information. Send a message.

But I think you'd be surprised how many coaches have accumulated names and numbers over the years. Attend a camp when your kid was 9? I guarantee someone has the information. Register for a tryout and never attend? That is definitely out there somewhere.

I don't know that coaches sign any type of confidentiality clause that they won't be able to use player information. And I don't think clubs have anything in their agreements that they can't share your information.

It is certainly douchey to do this. But I don't think there is anything you can do about it. It's pretty easy to hunt down parents of kids if a coach wants to get ahold of them. Rosters are publised for all leagues and many tournaments. See a player. Check facebook or linkedin for parent information. Send a message.

But I think you'd be surprised how many coaches have accumulated names and numbers over the years. Attend a camp when your kid was 9? I guarantee someone has the information. Register for a tryout and never attend? That is definitely out there somewhere.

I don't know that coaches sign any type of confidentiality clause that they won't be able to use player information. And I don't think clubs have anything in their agreements that they can't share your information.

The easiest one, is when a team manager or a parent leaves and just give the coach all the e-mails and numbers from previous team

Registrars have access to any player in Cal South.

This is not new and it’s everywhere. No big deal. Unsolicited phone calls? Several over the years.

There’s no ethics in club soccer. Oh those ecnl and DA date restrictions? Clubs and players seem to bend rules about those too.

Registrars have access to any player in Cal South.

Forgot about that fact. although the registrar is suppose to be the moral authority at the club - guess on it depends on the morality of the club.

As far is not being a big deal, it can be when its small clubs. Ive seen a clubs pull kids with various things - stupidest bribe being new cleats. Parents sold kids cheap. Seen shady approaches, but the onslaught of calling just about every kid on a team was a first. Some of the coaches getting kids Pre-High School and seeing if they can get them into the High Schools they coach at.

As far as no ethics in club soccer, not entirely true. People (admins, coaches) I know dont call kids or approach them at tournaments. Hell, coaches I know wont even tell a kid to come to their club until AFTER they are done with Cup games - unlike some of these Big Clubs. Again, Ive seen some stupid stuff, but not at that scale.

Back