What’s the latest with West Coast FC/OC Surf merger

If you play ECNL four years you could more than pay for a UC education.
UC tuition, fees, etc (not including room and board) is about $14k per year. Are people really paying that kind of money for ECNL?

I think you would reach this high number if you include parents' expense. I don't think we spent that much even with the NJ showcase in May

Yeah but you should include your travel expenses since it is a real cost. Families in other states seem to be paying the same.

people on the board said they paid $8000-10000 for the year after travel

that's probably correct with all the travel. I've yet to hear any major success stories, I just don't get it. Our team just played LV Player's Showcase, we invited 2 guest players and it looks like both will sign with schools of their choice. My point is, you don't need to be on DA, DA2, ECNL and pay outrageous fees, just be on a good team, with a good coach and do your part reaching out to coaches, asking them to come and see you play. It's not brain surgery....

that's probably correct with all the travel. I've yet to hear any major success stories, I just don't get it. Our team just played LV Player's Showcase, we invited 2 guest players and it looks like both will sign with schools of their choice. My point is, you don't need to be on DA, DA2, ECNL and pay outrageous fees, just be on a good team, with a good coach and do your part reaching out to coaches, asking them to come and see you play. It's not brain surgery....

I agree. A ton of avenues. Big Clubs all promising everything and always parents willing to buy. I cant find the graph/statistics showing how bad the conversion rate is for DAs. Was floating around during the USSF election process. The best club had 4 kids come out, next best was 2, many with 1 and most had ZERO. In 10 years, that is pretty pathetic. Would be nice to see the stats of how many kids came out of college (who didnt go to DA/ECNL), or kids who ended up in USL/NASL (without the same DA/ECNL) and then onto pro clubs over the same amount of time. Same goes for stats for kids coming out of ODP.

I agree. A ton of avenues. Big Clubs all promising everything and always parents willing to buy. I cant find the graph/statistics showing how bad the conversion rate is for DAs. Was floating around during the USSF election process. The best club had 4 kids come out, next best was 2, many with 1 and most had ZERO. In 10 years, that is pretty pathetic. Would be nice to see the stats of how many kids came out of college (who didnt go to DA/ECNL), or kids who ended up in USL/NASL (without the same DA/ECNL) and then onto pro clubs over the same amount of time. Same goes for stats for kids coming out of ODP.

I think I read or heard it was something like 3% make it to the college level, it would make sense the percent would drop from there, I think I read or heard it was .01% that make it to the professional level so, again, why do these parents make the insane drive, pay huge fees and for what? I'd LOVE to know any stats for ODP player's, the older one's I know went off to play in college through their club teams and the younger ones I know of, also went back to their club teams and are still playing, not sure how or if that time benefited in any way....I'm becoming less of a fan of the DA, DA2 & ECNL, it just seems like diluted soccer the last few years and no end in site, thank goodness my youngest DD only has 1 year left.

I think I read or heard it was something like 3% make it to the college level, it would make sense the percent would drop from there, I think I read or heard it was .01% that make it to the professional level so, again, why do these parents make the insane drive, pay huge fees and for what? I'd LOVE to know any stats for ODP player's, the older one's I know went off to play in college through their club teams and the younger ones I know of, also went back to their club teams and are still playing, not sure how or if that time benefited in any way....I'm becoming less of a fan of the DA, DA2 & ECNL, it just seems like diluted soccer the last few years and no end in site, thank goodness my youngest DD only has 1 year left.
I love your dds journey and common sense approach. I wish you would share it more because that Kool Aid people have been drinking is hard to get out of their systems.

Don't get me wrong, I think West Coast is a great club but I am scratching my head as to why they thought they needed the Surf name. Also DA is great for kiddos that want to play everyday and ECNL has some benefits as well. But people need to get a grip on reality and think twice before driving pass their local club.

Yeah but you should include your travel expenses since it is a real cost. Families in other states seem to be paying the same.
For a roster of 18, a team would need 4-5 moms or dads to take turn to travel with the players. It would cost a lot, if you accompany your players every trip.

I love your dds journey and common sense approach. I wish you would share it more because that Kool Aid people have been drinking is hard to get out of their systems.

Don't get me wrong, I think West Coast is a great club but I am scratching my head as to why they thought they needed the Surf name. Also DA is great for kiddos that want to play everyday and ECNL has some benefits as well. But people need to get a grip on reality and think twice before driving pass their local club.

I agree with your post but everyones situation is unique.

We had one of our kids playing in a local club. We also had our kid going to one of the clubs trainers for privates. At the time, our kid was on the A team but that team was not playing in a high level(I think it was AAA Presidio) I happened to run into my kids trainer and after chatting for a bit he tells me that my kid will not go anywhere playing for that team. He told me that we should find a better team for our kid even if it's out of the area. I took his advice.

Sometimes the local clubs just don't cut it. Other times they are a perfect fit.

I'll admit, I had some doubts about, was I doing the right thing and looking back, I now know, we did the right thing. My oldest stayed with her team (G98), had one heck of a run, was able to stay with her team mates, some of which they had played together or against each other since U6-U12, she did the work putting herself out there to college coaches, we helped guide her and she landed at a college where she's thriving, still playing as are 10 of her team mates. None of them went DA, DA2. 3 went the ECNL route and I believe only 1 of the 3 is playing in college.

Clubs like West Coast are what a lot of clubs aspire to be and I think they may be messing up a good thing but, that's their issue, as long as there are parents willing to buy into the hype, some club will be putting the new hype out there. I just think all these "new" avenues have diluted the talent pool and it's showing, the DA2 was not necessary, tell me a kid is going to develop sitting on the sideline or playing sporadically, those players should have stayed at their club teams and developed!....to me, that's where your local club would have been a better fit.

I agree with your post but everyones situation is unique.

We had one of our kids playing in a local club. We also had our kid going to one of the clubs trainers for privates. At the time, our kid was on the A team but that team was not playing in a high level(I think it was AAA Presidio) I happened to run into my kids trainer and after chatting for a bit he tells me that my kid will not go anywhere playing for that team. He told me that we should find a better team for our kid even if it's out of the area. I took his advice.

Sometimes the local clubs just don't cut it. Other times they are a perfect fit.

(in your case, I would agree with you) :D not a slam on Presidio but, in that area, there's better options

......My point is, you don't need to be on DA, DA2, ECNL and pay outrageous fees, just be on a good team, with a good coach and do your part reaching out to coaches, asking them to come and see you play. It's not brain surgery....

Maybe for now on the girls side. Not the case for the boys side.

Couple of big factors are that:

1) DA has been around for 10 years or so and call the coaches use the system as a filter to get to the top 1~2% as there are more DA players graduating in any given year than the total number of recruits in a year at D1 and D2.

2) There are simply less schools that play mens soccer than women's due to Title IX resource constraints.

Since DA is new and ECNL while very successful, women's coaches are not trained to take advantage of the DA system yet. My sense is that it will change.

As for DA2, ECNL and so on really don't matter as they are viewed as just like regular club teams in a top tier competition.

Do players outside of DA get recruited on the boys side - absolutely. But its much harder to get their attention.

It may not be brain surgery, but it may be rocket science.....

Are they playing D1 or D2?

UC tuition, fees, etc (not including room and board) is about $14k per year. Are people really paying that kind of money for ECNL?
Real cost is anywhere from $31,000. to $34,000 to attend a UC school, that is if you get in. It is never just tuition, with the exception of those who live within driving distance of campus and can live at home for the four-five years it takes to get through.

I guess it depends on who they recruit. They have new coaches and theyve been hard at work trying to poach players from their old clubs. Even from teams they didnt even coach. Im wondering if they have an B05 DA team given WC didnt have one last year and was a big fallout due to this. I could then see why they are pushing ECNL so hard if they dont have a DA team for that age group. Would make sense why they tell parents to signup for two years and attempt to make DA - maybe theyll have a DA team for that age group by then. anyone know if they have an b05 DA team?
They do have DA for the O5's as well as 06's and 07's for the upcoming year.

Maybe for now on the girls side. Not the case for the boys side.

Couple of big factors are that:

1) DA has been around for 10 years or so and call the coaches use the system as a filter to get to the top 1~2% as there are more DA players graduating in any given year than the total number of recruits in a year at D1 and D2.

2) There are simply less schools that play mens soccer than women's due to Title IX resource constraints.

Since DA is new and ECNL while very successful, women's coaches are not trained to take advantage of the DA system yet. My sense is that it will change.

As for DA2, ECNL and so on really don't matter as they are viewed as just like regular club teams in a top tier competition.

Do players outside of DA get recruited on the boys side - absolutely. But its much harder to get their attention.

It may not be brain surgery, but it may be rocket science.....

I'm not familiar with the boys side and what you've stated is probably true, my rant was regarding the girls side and where it is today. I just think it's getting out of control with costs, extended drives, club mergers, a new shiny thing every year and that's not how the game started or should be. They're turning a simple game with simple recruiting into big business, rocket science.....

Rumor or fact? ECNL OC Surf will not have girls ECNL next season
Anyone have any idea what is going on over at West Coast FC/OC Surf? We hear not good. Is it true they didn’t renew their fields at GP.
Question: Rumor or fact? ECNL kicks out OC SURF? OC Surf will not have girls ECNL next season?

Back