West Coast Classic 2016

younothat

PREMIER
Normally one of the bigger and more competitive tournaments toward the end of summer. CRL has cut into the number of teams participating somewhat the next weekend.

Moved up a week this year and there seems to be fewer teams:
http://events.gotsport.com/events/results.aspx?EventID=52395&Gender=Boys&Age=15

Bracket A
PATEADORES RIVERSIDE B02 (CAS)
SD SURF ACADEMY SELECT 2002 (CAS)
STRIKERS FC SOUTH BAY BU15 BLACK (CAS)
TFA-FCLA B02 (CAS)

Bracket B
CULVER CITY FC B02 CCMA (CAS)
PATEADORES IRVINE (CAS)
PATEADORES IER 2002 (CAS)
REBELS SC (AGUILAR 02) (CAS)

Bracket C
IRVINE SLAMMERS FC B02 - GAMBLE (CAS)
SAN DIEGO SC B2002 ACADEMY NAVY (CAS)
STRIKERS FC IRVINE B02 - BA (CAS)
WEST COAST FC WALLACE 02 (CAS)

Bracket D
BOCA JUNIORS OC B02 WHITE (CAS)
LA GALAXY SD B2002 ELITE O'SULLIVAN (CAS)
REAL SO CAL B02 WHITE (CAS)
TVSA HAWKS ACADEMY (HALLIDAY) (CAS)

The possible three-game Sunday if you go all the way makes a strong bench important.

The 3 best teams are Boca Juniors, Rebels and West Coast, in that order. Disclaimer: didn't see all teams.

West Coast - Wallace. IMHO, that team is going to finish top 5 this year in Flight 1.

That's not saying much... Who could possibly be good in that scdsl league with all of the Academy teams/players gone? Laguna? DA club B teams? Apparently Strikers B team is as good or better than WC judging by that result...

Boca Jrs can compete or beat many DA teams, so they're the standard in this age group outside of DA. What separates Boca from Rebels and WC is size. That says a lot about how well coached and how talented these two teams are. I watched the finals between Boca Jrs and Rebels. I'd say if you add two big forwards to either Rebels or WC, they'd be as good as Boca.

Boca Jrs can compete or beat many DA teams, so they're the standard in this age group outside of DA. What separates Boca from Rebels and WC is size. That says a lot about how well coached and how talented these two teams are. I watched the finals between Boca Jrs and Rebels. I'd say if you add two big forwards to either Rebels or WC, they'd be as good as Boca.
I wasn't super impressed to be honest. You're right in that they have size with the #9, #11, and a couple other kids... and if you given them space and time to get a shot off you'll pay the price. The 02 DA teams I have personally seen are on another level though. Wouldn't be much of a game. I'm sure there are a few DA teams they'd be able to compete with but the top ones would demolish them.

"Demolish" them? I doubt it. At the recent Surf Cup, they lost to Golden State PDA 1:0 in the finals. However, in a couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised if most DA teams can beat them, when size matters less. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't surprised if Rebels or WC can beat them in a couple of years. At the moment, though, size and strength matter.

At the recent Manchester Cup they didn't make it out of their group and at WC they lost to TVSA Hawks 3-2. they topped the group because the other 2 teams tied, they are a big attacking team, I think they can beat some good DA teams, this year FCGS and Galexy will battle for top spot,IMO with Albion having a good run. Then again, if Boca is beating the top DA teams then we have other issues with the USSDA!

nobody ! I was saying if they were to beat them but it really doesn't matter , DA teams will be going their own way soon.

Boca tied the Albion 02 academy team at Manchester and Albion ended up winning the tournament. The game was back and forth and Boca gave them everything they could handle. From what I saw of Boca, if they have a ref that allows them to be very physical they can play with any team but when they have a ref that calls it tight they have a tougher time. They lost to Freedom in pool play and the ref called it very tight.

"Demolish" them? I doubt it. At the recent Surf Cup, they lost to Golden State PDA 1:0 in the finals. However, in a couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised if most DA teams can beat them, when size matters less. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't surprised if Rebels or WC can beat them in a couple of years. At the moment, though, size and strength matter.

Don't let the score fool you, FCGS PDA 02 out played them , it really should of been 4 or 5 but 1 was enough .

Boca tied the Albion 02 academy team at Manchester and Albion ended up winning the tournament. The game was back and forth and Boca gave them everything they could handle. From what I saw of Boca, if they have a ref that allows them to be very physical they can play with any team but when they have a ref that calls it tight they have a tougher time. They lost to Freedom in pool play and the ref called it very tight.

Not to take anything from Boca because they did play a great game. But, That was our very first game together as a team and missing 3 players. We are looking forward to playing them again next year. Glad they will be in Coast where we play our season! I see Boca, TFA and FCGS being early favorites to win Coast Premier. Would have liked to seen them in CRL.

FCGS PDA beat Rebels @ Cerritos Memorial Cup, also beat Boca @ Surf Cup.
Also I'm not sure if the Rebels team we beat National Cup was the same but they were 01's and also lost to GSA.

Last edited:
Back