Videotaping advice

I've been assigned the task of videotaping my son's team's games.

Does anyone have any advice? Any cool tricks, ideas, or gear hacks?

What are other people's setups? For example, once I talked to a guy who got a couple of workplace stands at home depot, set up 2-3 old phones as fixed cameras at different points on the field. I think he found some software or website that allowed him to sync up the different angles so it was easy to display all the three in unison. Anyone know anything about that type of thing?

I've been assigned the task of videotaping my son's team's games.

Does anyone have any advice? Any cool tricks, ideas, or gear hacks?

What are other people's setups? For example, once I talked to a guy who got a couple of workplace stands at home depot, set up 2-3 old phones as fixed cameras at different points on the field. I think he found some software or website that allowed him to sync up the different angles so it was easy to display all the three in unison. Anyone know anything about that type of thing?
There's a few companies that videotape games using a boom. Have all the parents pitch in their share of the cost. This way you can enjoy watching your son play just like the rest of the parents.

How did you get roped into that job?
I suppose if you already had equipment and were into it, it would be cool.
But is this now an assigned parent/volunteer role?

How did you get roped into that job?
I suppose if you already had equipment and were into it, it would be cool.
But is this now an assigned parent/volunteer role?

It's a u12 DA team. I guess the DA requires all teams to videotape home games, so many DAs have a parent volunteer. I can think of a few reasons why I was asked, but I think it was mostly that I'm seen as reliable enough to fulfill the requirements. I doubt other people on the team will want to contribute to any gear, since it's not really about recruitment videos at this age.

I have a tripod and a basic video camera, so I'll stand on the halfway line and follow the ball. That's easy enough. I'm trying to decide if I want to geek out with anything more elaborate than that, so I was hoping to hear from real hobbyist videotappers.

Sounds like the DA teams need to invest if equipment or pay somebody if they are required to record their games.

I recoreded an entire Football season for my son sitting on top of a 12 foot ladder. I did one game for my daughters U12 soccer team. Ladder was hit a few times, that's why I only did it once.

Good luck. I hope the other parents appreciate what you are doing for them.

If the DA is requiring that teams tape games then the club requesting "volunteers" sounds like BS to me. If they won't hire professional to do it, then at the very least they should be willing to provide some sort of assistance for hardware/software. Good editing software is not cheap, and no, iMovie on your Mac won't get the job done. I'm assuming they also want high quality video right?

How long ago did you purchase your video camera?

Considering how much effort they're putting into DA, giving your a $500-1000 stipend for equipment (and your time) seems reasonable to me.

At one of the games earlier this year, a parent had a complete camera pole and remote screen setup on the sideline. After talking with him for a bit, I wished I knew about it when I was taking videos for my kid.

Its from STV Advantage and its really great. Its light and affordable (~$1K complete without camcorder for kit 2).

http://www.svtadvantage.net/purchase.html

I have no connection to the company. So I'm not selling anything. Just sharing a good find.

As for DA requiring it, its their responsibility so I find your situation bit odd. It must be a new DA club without the olders.

That's a pretty good price. I looked into systems a few years ago and they were closer to $3k.
For $1,350 for a complete system, you can make your money back in 2 weekends.
3 games a day x $125 a game.

What software do people typically use or recommend? Personally I want to create a dual camera system where I can have one focused on the D & GK and the other panning the full game....that way the team can review the full spread of a play starting at mid-field through the final 3rd....

I got the perfect set up, inexpensive and works absolutely insane. I love watching the games after the fact and so does my son!

• Tripod was 40.00 (13 ft ) this tripod is for lighting but comes with adapter for Video camera, about 1/5th the cost of other tripods!!!
  • Ipad holder 49.00
  • Panning/Tilt head-100.00
  • Camera (HD 1080p/60MPS)-600.00
  • Ipad--you probably have one

Less than $800.00 and you have a system that will last forever, dont get bamboozled into buying the other systems, this one I did is everything you need.
Then you import into Imovie and boom, you edit for free (Mac's)
export to Youtube and your golden.

Im based in Tustin, if you need any help let me know. You can check out the video on my youtube channel --Chris Dimitrijevic--

I got the perfect set up, inexpensive and works absolutely insane. I love watching the games after the fact and so does my son!

• Tripod was 40.00 (13 ft ) this tripod is for lighting but comes with adapter for Video camera, about 1/5th the cost of other tripods!!!
  • Ipad holder 49.00
  • Panning/Tilt head-100.00
  • Camera (HD 1080p/60MPS)-600.00
  • Ipad--you probably have one

Less than $800.00 and you have a system that will last forever, dont get bamboozled into buying the other systems, this one I did is everything you need.
Then you import into Imovie and boom, you edit for free (Mac's)
export to Youtube and your golden.

Im based in Tustin, if you need any help let me know. You can check out the video on my youtube channel --Chris Dimitrijevic--

Can you provide links to the equipment, or similar replacements?

What's the iPad for?

We did use a go pro before but the ability to zoom and get a clearer picture is what you want.
FYI hiring someone is going to cost a pretty penny, I called and the cheapest at the time was 325.00 but that was a professional. This set up I have is completely wireless beside the cord for the panning /tilt which is important. You really move side to side by rotating tripod with using your Ipad holder, that way tracking the ball is real time . There's a second dad on the team that get my footage and creates really high end videos with slow motion and different angles from his camera, so your possibilities are endless, depending on what you want.
Ive filmed a few games for other people already , if its OC based hit me up.

Tripod $40-70.00
was purchased on Amazon, its specifically made for lighting rigs that photographer's use for flash bulb BUT it comes with a adapter that screws into your Camcorder or DSLR cameras.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U5F3BC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pan/Tilt remote Control unit--$125-175.00
https://www.amazon.com/Bescor-MP101...rd_wg=2XYba&psc=1&refRID=079V5H28BKTFQH272E1A

iPad holder or field monitor holder--50.00
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXZLAGG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can tell I geeked out but watching our videos in HD on Youtube is legit. Just like someone mention above if your bandwidth or download speeds at home are slow the video are automatically adjusted so you might watch video is 480 or 720 even though you filmed in 60 fps, which is horrible after your watch them in 1080p HD. But invest in a good camera thats where 80% of your budget is....just remember you want 60 frames per sec or higher, that way with soccer the picture is super clear all the time.

Tripod $40-70.00
was purchased on Amazon, its specifically made for lighting rigs that photographer's use for flash bulb BUT it comes with a adapter that screws into your Camcorder or DSLR cameras.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U5F3BC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pan/Tilt remote Control unit--$125-175.00
https://www.amazon.com/Bescor-MP101...rd_wg=2XYba&psc=1&refRID=079V5H28BKTFQH272E1A

iPad holder or field monitor holder--50.00
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXZLAGG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can tell I geeked out but watching our videos in HD on Youtube is legit. Just like someone mention above if your bandwidth or download speeds at home are slow the video are automatically adjusted so you might watch video is 480 or 720 even though you filmed in 60 fps, which is horrible after your watch them in 1080p HD. But invest in a good camera thats where 80% of your budget is....just remember you want 60 frames per sec or higher, that way with soccer the picture is super clear all the time.

What camera do you use? How are you controlling zoom?

heres what set up looks like , at Surf I had alot of people ask about it.

Attachments

• IMG_3277.JPG
    IMG_3277.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 177
What camera do you use? How are you controlling zoom?
Panasonic HC-V 770, I control the zoom via bluetooth on the Ipad. You download the app on Ipad, sync camera and Ipad right before the game and your ready to go.
On Canons and Sony cameras you can attach hard wired camera and zoom controller, just fyi.

Panasonic HC-V 770, I control the zoom via bluetooth on the Ipad. You download the app on Ipad, sync camera and Ipad right before the game and your ready to go.
On Canons and Sony cameras you can attach hard wired camera and zoom controller, just fyi.

Thx for the info so far. What's the name of the app? I did some searching and all I'm finding is apps that transfer recorded video or still images. Not finding any kind of "live syncing" apps.

Back