Ventura Coach Accused of Inappropriate Acts

Discussion in 'SoCalScene' started by Grace T., Jul 11, 2017.

1. smellycleats

smellycleats SILVER ELITE

Ratings:
    +258 / 6
    Well make up your mind...do you want me to shut up or do you want me to talk about it?
    Look, of course there was more to it. Wasn’t just one minor blow up and I never asked that the player be banned from the club. She’s a sweet kid and a very special player. If she weren’t, he wouldn’t be allowed to get away with this stuff.

2. Chalklines

Chalklines SILVER ELITE

Ratings:
    +244 / 12
    Let's face it. All clubs are guilty of blowing off complaining parents and nominal issues during the year because the bitching never stops. I get it.

I don't have a player with the eagle's but from what I've been told is if your players an asset to the club you will never be ignored and there's always an open line of communication via email or phone to all the directors unless you compleatly step out of line and burn your bridge.

My issue with the eagle's is the pattern snellycleatss is talking about. Too many major issues being delt with internally to keep a winning cultre / club / coaches intact. The bussiness first approach is a very dangerous game for youth sports because the bigger issues get overlooked.

3. Lion Eyes

Lion Eyes

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 28
    Chalklines.... what are you basing your comments on?
    Innuendo, speculation, rumor or from what you've been told by whom?
    I'm aware of no club, anywhere, that doesn't deal with issues internally, are you?
    Club soccer is big business, to think otherwise is simply wishful.
    Because it's big business, issues can't be overlooked.

4. Chalklines

Chalklines SILVER ELITE

Ratings:
    +244 / 12
    Im new to the area and new to this state. I've been in So Cal for about a year now and now have had two opportunities to shop different clubs for my kids.

Im basing my comments on this:

In a years time you hear quite a bit from parents removed and parents directly involved. Some from the past some from the present. Camarillo is a very small soccer town so people talk. You mention club soccer the Eagles come up. They have a strong hold on the area and they know it. Everything from talent to facilities they have it so its almost every local parents first stop searching for a club if your serious about soccer and dont want to drive for something comparable.

I must say ive met quite a few great individuals who would absolutely take a bullet for the club. Lots of positive but its the negative narrative that steered me away. It was all the same. If as a parent you question training methods or any game time decisions whether in the moment or confidentially with the coach or admin you will fall out of the clubs graces faster then you can believe. (and I get thats normal for SOME high level clubs) Now the kicker was from the handful of pissed off individuals I spoke with. All similar situations with almost similar results escalating in DOC's getting involved and being ignored on following up. All felt that speaking up translated into heavy consequences for their players on game day. (Smellycleats story here sounded wayyy to similar except he didnt mention if his player was punished on the field?)

I see that as a pattern especially coming from individuals all at different age levels who have played with or have dealt with the coach and specific director involved in each complaint. One cant help to wonder how the VT situation was handled "internally" if indeed a parent or player(s) came forward at that time. The VT situation was the nail in the coffin for our family making a decision to play for the Eagles at this point in time. Until the dust settles over this you really dont know who to believe. Once the criminal trial is put to bed the opportunity for the victim comes to take civil action. Will she go after VT or throw a curve going after the club? I think this will be the main tell of what really happend and quite a few family's soccer lifes will be changed for better or worse.

God for bid if some coach did something criminal to my kids I would want to feel 100% confident that things would be handled properly by a club and a coaches resume and contacts would never be placed greater then my child's safety. Just like other posters before me I have a hard time believing with the clubs open door policy they did not have knowledge of this for the last 10 years..........and yes, I hope im wrong.

5. Fact

Fact PREMIER

Ratings:
    +1,209 / 38
    That's great that you had the support of the club. That makes a huge difference. But in Smelly's case a grown man had an outburst of that should have subsided once the game was over. But it appears that the jerk and the club demanded multiple times that a 7 year old apologize for accidentally hitting him with the ball during the game. That is warped but makes sense given the guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lion Eyes

Lion Eyes

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 28
    Both my dd's played for the Eagles...this thing came out of no where and hurt many people...
    This was so far from imaginable that it still makes me sick knowing it happened.
    For those who know nothing about this to say it had to have been a known. You're WRONG.
    I take offense to that. If any rumblings or talk about this had come to my attention...my dd would have been gone in a heart beat.
    To know VT and to know this happened is beyond belief...
    I trust the Eagle leadership and the coaching staff....

7. Fact

Fact PREMIER

Ratings:
    +1,209 / 38
    I am not trying to act like Espola but ... if you trust the Eagle leadership why would you have been gone in a heart beat if you heard any rumblings? If you trusted them, wouldn't you trust them to take immediate action and thus stay?

Also just because you did not know does not mean that others did not know. I am not saying that they knew, but it is possible. When I was in high school I kept asking a girl out, she was gorgeous but never seemed to be dating anyone. She turned me down each time. It was only at a high school reunion that I learned that she had an affair with a married teacher and that is why she never dated. Some teachers knew as well as a lot of students, including the teacher's daughter who was a friend of the girl. Everyone had a good laugh that I did not have a clue.

8. Soccer43

Soccer43

Ratings:
    +1,105 / 32
    You may have had that experience and we're shocked but I have heard that several were not shocked A predator can be very secretive and charming and most have no clue what has happened.

9. Lion Eyes

Lion Eyes

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 28
    I would have left to protect my dd's ... no rumblings, no rumors...
    As I said to know VT and to know this happened is beyond belief...it's terribly sad for all involved. I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around this.
    I interacted with VT everyother week day and countless soccer weekends, for many years, never saw anything, suspected anything, nothing.
    You all have a great day...

10. Soccer43

Soccer43

Ratings:
    +1,105 / 32
    That's why this is upsetting and why there has to be rules and structure in place to prevent opportunities from being available. VT pled guilty so he admitted to having sex with his 14 year old player - it happened, not alleged or suspected anymore. It is a fact, not he said/she said or a false claim by someone that some suspected of trying to ruin his reputation.

11. Lion Eyes

Lion Eyes

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 28
    No one disputes what VT has plead to, I certainly haven't. His reputation is forever tarnished.
    What I dispute is that the club or anyone for that matter was aware of something neferious and ignored it...

12. Soccer43

Soccer43

Ratings:
    +1,105 / 32
    I would agree with you - it is possible they knew nothing and if you don't know what the warning signs are you would never suspect this.

13. Coke bottle eyes

Coke bottle eyes BRONZE

Ratings:
    +7 / 2
    Coaches have separate lives from soccer and this from what I understand all happened during personal time, not at any team or club events. I also heard that her mother was the team manager during that time. Obviously this was hidden from everyone. Parents must be hyper vigilant at all times!

14. Sons of Pitches

Sons of Pitches SILVER ELITE

Ratings:
    +204 / 7
    You joined two years ago, you have only made 6 comments in two years, and all 6 have been in defense of the Eagles on this topic. No other comments, no other posts? What is your affiliation?

Back to the topic, Vince Thomas, the Eagles Girls DOC broke the #1 rule and did not look out for the welfare of the players he was entrusted to protect. The fact that the mother was the "Team Manager" even further infuriates me, and makes me think that the Eagles management had to know something.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Lion Eyes

Lion Eyes

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 28
    You're wrong....

16. Fact

Fact PREMIER

Ratings:
    +1,209 / 38
    What does the mom being the team manager have to do with anything? Because she is the team manager, the Eagles must have known? Basically you are implying the mom knew, let it continue and told the Eagles????? I don't follow.

17. Coke bottle eyes

Coke bottle eyes BRONZE

Ratings:
    +7 / 2
    You are implying that she knew. I was just stating a known fact and was not implying anything....If I were to assume anything is would be that she didn't know or she would have notified the authorities immediately and it wouldn't have gone unreported for TEN years. My reason for posting that information was to show how well hidden it must have been. Geez.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. AmpedSoccerFan

AmpedSoccerFan BRONZE

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    As a parent of a very young DD I have a hard time following this. How does something like this happen? Where does it happen? Where are the parents? How is is possible not to know what your daughter is doing at any given time? I'm assuming they are not driving themselves to these "escapades" with the coaches. I'm assuming they are not paying for their own cell phones, so a parent would have access to any texts, or social media accounts at any given time. Are we now leaving our parenting to a soccer club?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Justafan

Justafan GOLD

Ratings:
    +848 / 29
    Do you think we as parents share in some of the blame. We’re the ones demanding wins/performance from the club. They know what the landscape is here in SoCal.

20. ATRTDT

ATRTDT SILVER

Ratings:
    +69 / 5
    VT bought so much money into the eagles program for his college contacts. He could make your daughters dreams of playing college soccer come true with a few calls and emails.
    This translates into big bucks for the club. Bussiness do horrible things to retain their cash cows.