Ventura Coach Accused of Inappropriate Acts

Discussion in 'SoCalScene' started by Grace T., Jul 11, 2017.

1. Surfref

Surfref Silver

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 12
    I would assume that if the coach is convicted there will be a civil suit from the victim with her going after the coach, club, CalSouth and US Soccer. I was talking to a friend, attorney, about this case and he said he would sue them all. It would never make it to court since the club, CalSouth and US Soccer have insurance to cover this type of thing and would settle out of court. He said he would probably start at $4-5 million and probably settle for $1-3 million.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. smellycleats

smellycleats Bronze

Ratings:
    +116 / 2
    Key word there is "business"....VT was a winning coach. If you had your eye on a scholarship, VT was the man. He delivered on this for many players and families and many of these grateful Eagles parents were present in support of VT at his arraignment. A coach like that, who affords a club such bragging rights and makes their program so attractive to hopeful parents willing to pay 2000$/ye to have the club develop their little player into the next big thing, is valued, respected and possibly even...protected. Eagles SC is "family run" and like many families, there is a fair amount of dysfunction. At best, they were in denial. At worst, they were protecting their asset and reputation. Either way they should be held accountable if he is found guilty.

3. ATRTDT

ATRTDT Bronze

Ratings:
    +56 / 1
    If he's found guilty and some type of internal cover up happened, CalSouth should pull the clubs membership for damage control.

Doesn't their program have board members connected or working on the city council as well?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. espola

espola Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +3,023 / 114
    "At best, they were in denial". Is there anything to show that the club leadership had some reason to suspect misbehavior before the arrest?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. smellycleats

smellycleats Bronze

Ratings:
    +116 / 2
    No. It's my opinion based on personal experience with the club and it's "leadership".

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. espola

espola Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +3,023 / 114
    And?

7. Overlap

Overlap Bronze

Ratings:
    +106 / 1
    I'd guess they're waiting to see what happens, will more women come forward and most don't know he's gone or why at this point.

8. smellycleats

smellycleats Bronze

Ratings:
    +116 / 2
    Does anyone have any follow up information on this? Has VT been back to court?

9. Sons of Pitches

Sons of Pitches Bronze

Ratings:
    +107 / 5
    11/9/2017 - Early Disposition Conference according to Ventura County - Superior Court website

10. Chalklines

Chalklines Bronze

Ratings:
    +33 / 5
  11. Soccer43

Soccer43 Bronze

Ratings:
    +253 / 6
    There was a follow-up news report that he posted bail quite awhile ago shortly after he was arrested.

12. sandshark

sandshark Bronze

Ratings:
    +325 / 11
    Better back grounds checks and drug testing should be mandatory!

13. Soccer43

Soccer43 Bronze

Ratings:
    +253 / 6
    How about just implementing better polices around coach contacts with players - such as all communication outside of practice and games goes through the team manager, how about coaches must stay at different hotels during out of town tournaments, how about no contact outside of sanctioned club activities such as practice, games, official team meetings. There is no reason that a grown man needs to be sending private texts directly to my teenage daughter.

• Agree Agree x 7
  14. chargerfan

chargerfan Silver

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 38
    There are times a player may want to contact to the coach, like to ask about something they learned in practice, play time, an issue with a team mate, etc. As they get older, players should not need parent interference for those types of things. But a parent should be involved as a 3rd party, included in the text or email to the coach. A coach and player should also not be allowed to be alone under any circumstances. It is just common sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Nutmeg

Nutmeg

Ratings:
    +244 / 6
    Gotta kinda disagree on this. I hear you on the as players get older they may need to communicate with their coach on certain things. My point of contention here would be those things should be addressed on the field prior or post practice or even at the coaching or club office, with others coaches and staff present. Players and coaches figured out a way to to communicate prior to social Media and texting existing and all was fine with the world. I continue to be baffled by the amount of grown ass men who WANT to text and talk to teenage girls. just a huge red flag for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. chargerfan

chargerfan Silver

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 38
    This is opportune, but not always possible. I don't see a problem with emailing or even talking on the phone about a soccer-related question or issue as long as a parent is involved. Texting back and forth is a no no, but I can understand the player texting the coach saying they will be missing a practice, or asking if there is a good time for them to meet to discuss an issue. Email is preferable though. Of course the parent should be a 3rd party on this text or email.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Nutmeg

Nutmeg

Ratings:
    +244 / 6
    Here would be my example. DD is gonna miss school due to illness. You don't usually email or text your science teacher. NO the parent calls the school office to inform them of the absence. The school office then informs the teacher or teachers. Why should soccer be any different. There is just way too much access given to to kids these days. Just because you coach my DD shouldn't mean these dudes get access or the ability to communicate with them.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. chargerfan

chargerfan Silver

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 38
    I call the school, but my kids email the teachers to ask about notes, class work, or homework they have missed. Generally I will send a quick text if kid missing soccer practice. But if they have a question or an issue, they can email the coach and cc me. I don't see what access or ability their coach gets when I am a 3rd party to any conversation.

19. Nutmeg

Nutmeg

Ratings:
    +244 / 6
    Just parent preference. Access to me is the overall issue of who and how much access people have to DD. Whether that is socail media, texts, etc. third party CC is fine but I would rather that be switched. Parent or player texts club, and coach is CC'd or contacted by the club. I'd rather there be a set system club wide that has accountability and system of structure with multiple checks built into it. Meaning basically that every team has to follow the clubs overall communication guidelines. Not each individual coach making own rules. Too much can happen too much information or misinformation can be lost or misunderstood.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. chargerfan

chargerfan Silver

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 38
    Yes, parent preference. I do have a real issue with coaches following their players, or other teams or clubs players, on social media. That is inappropriate, no matter which way you slice it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1