Ventura Coach Accused of Inappropriate Acts

Discussion in 'SoCalScene' started by Grace T., Jul 11, 2017.

1. Lion Eyes

Lion Eyes

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 28
    Some of that is true..
    But that's not what happened here.

If your dd is a talented player, no need for the coach to make any phone calls or emails.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. ATRTDT

ATRTDT SILVER

Ratings:
    +69 / 5
    You knew Vince and though he was innocent. The Eagles must be too, right???? Until they are 100% in the clear of this thing I wouldnt be making those types of assumptions.

One thing that crossed my mind was I feel bad for the parents who stood outside the courtroom from the club in Vince's defense. We talk about "the car ride home" with our kids all the time but imagine that car ride after he admitted guilt for those supporters...........

3. Lion Eyes

Lion Eyes

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 28
    I know how parents and former players feel.
    You're speculating.

4. Soccer43

Soccer43

Ratings:
    +1,105 / 32
    I would think that for those families that were adamant supporters, thought he was fabulous, and thoroughly trusted him that they would not be sad and shocked but angry for his lying to their face about who he was.

5. ATRTDT

ATRTDT SILVER

Ratings:
    +69 / 5
    I'm sure people felt the same way about Nassar and the US Gymnastics program till the end too.

6. Lion Eyes

Lion Eyes

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 28
    Apples and oranges....

7. ATRTDT

ATRTDT SILVER

Ratings:
    +69 / 5
    Since your speaking for the club. How do parents feel about Vinces assistant coach from then? Mike Alexander?

8. smellycleats

smellycleats SILVER ELITE

Ratings:
    +258 / 6
    I'm not saying that the Eagles knew about it and ignored it. I believe that they found out, kept it quiet, and handled it internally. Based on experiences in my past as a kid, I know how painful, sickening, and gut-wrenching it is to put your faith in someone only to find out they are not who they say they are. It's horrific to find out that a person you thought had your best interests at heart is actually a master manipulator. As soccer43 stated those broken feelings quickly turn to anger. I know that there are parents at Eagles who are or were heavily invested in the club that must be feeling this anger. At this point it can be directed at only one person, Vince Thomas, who alone is responsible for his actions. Time will tell if the Eagles knew and kept it quiet to protect their assets and their reputation. It is a small soccer world. Its my belief that when abuse occurs (especially in a small tight organization) there is always someone who knew.
    Maybe it's because of my past experiences, that I recognizedthese patterns at Eagles. I wouldn't necessarily expect a person who has had normal experiences to pick up on it.

9. Lion Eyes

Lion Eyes

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 28
    Speculating and assuming seem to be walking hand in hand...
    I don't speak for the club. I speak to my experience with the club.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Lion Eyes

Lion Eyes

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 28
    "Always" rarely is...

11. themailman

themailman BRONZE

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    What does Mike have to do with this?

12. ATRTDT

ATRTDT SILVER

Ratings:
    +69 / 5
    What do you think?

The article in the acorn said things went on while the victim was 15 and escalated when she 16 years old. Wouldn't an assistant coach have the most insight into what was going on with the team over a 2 year period? Way too many eyes and mouths for this thing never to have surfaced internally for the Eagles.

13. Lion Eyes

Lion Eyes

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 28
    Speculation once again.
    The Ventura County Sheriff and District Attorneys Office investigated this matter, talking with current & former players, parents, and club officials.
    They disagree with you.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  14. Bolts

Bolts BRONZE

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    This is my first post and wanted to put it out that there has been a new coaching hire within the Eagles soccer club. Highly regarded girls coach Kristy Walker has left RSC and is now coaching at Eagles starting tonight. I believe this is a great hire for the Eagles and will obviously help them with the VT turmoil of the past year. I'm sure the flood gates will open up as girls love playing for her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Simisoccerfan

Simisoccerfan GOLD

Ratings:
    +1,076 / 63
    That’s a great hire. My speculation is that she will be coaching DA there since she wasn’t getting those teams at Real.

16. socalsoccercoach

socalsoccercoach BRONZE

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Lions Eyes has it right the VC sheriff investigated it all..people around the club had truly no idea and if you know players that were around at the time they will clearly support what Lion Eyes has mentioned. On a different note what a fantastic hire by the Eagles in KW!

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Soccer43

Soccer43

Ratings:
    +1,105 / 32
    Pedophiles can be charming and manipulative and fool the majority but if people pay attention they can notice behaviors with some girls that aren't quite right - they choose their targets wisely and know who is vulnerable. To the rest they act like model citizens and are very likeable. Coaches shouldn't have opportunities to isolate girls or have private interactions with players which creates these opportunities and parents should have a voice.

18. coachrefparent

coachrefparent GOLD

Ratings:
    +704 / 22
    You are correct. In nearly all of these teacher, coach, adult friend sexual abuse cases, it involves a male adult, and female minor. The male grooms the child by making her feel important, boosting her self esteem, and doing everything that kids (boys and girls) her age don't do. Just like adult relationships, they establish a non-sexual personal connection first, then transition. Before there is any intimacy, the girls begin to feel attracted (puppy love) toward him. He feeds this and then moves physical, using her trust and teenage infatuation and hormones to her detriment, while ensuring that she feels enough guilt not to report him. In almost every case of this type, she tells him she loves him before any sexual contact occurs. These men are predators, and need to be extinguished.

Despite everyone's feel good need to be non- judgmental and accept everyone as "good people" there is really no situation where a very close personal relationship, especially with any direct electronic contact or one on one social connections, between a teen girl and a male teacher, coach, adult friend is normal. <----period

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. ATRTDT

ATRTDT SILVER

Ratings:
    +69 / 5
    Ahh yes. Water under the bridge. Hire a women and bring in some gay male coaches and all will be forgotten. Honestly, great damage control moves all around......

20. smellycleats

smellycleats SILVER ELITE

Ratings:
    +258 / 6
    And lucky for them people tend to have a short attention span.