Vegas Cup 2017

Selecao beat them 3-1 right after Thanksgiving. They played boys all fall. Just a good mix, some size, some speed, skilled, buts thats most teams toward the top. Will be interesting how they match up w Strikers in pool play.

Any update on this game?
The game was well played by both sides. The team from Texas had a back line that was very big and athletic, and played a disciplined game – – holding the Eagles virtually shotless throughout the match. The two Texas goals were well-earned and they were well coached that day.

The same praise for them falls disappointingly short when it comes to their sidelines, as their adults were heckling the Eagles goalkeeper and players, but hopefully as they move on, they will realize that not much good comes from heckling these young players.

Of course, one could say the kids might as well get used to hostile fans, but for this observer, it seems that age 9 is a little young for that experience.

Nonetheless, hats off to their players, they earned the win against a stout effort from the Eagles.

Peace.

The game was well played by both sides. The team from Texas had a back line that was very big and athletic, and played a disciplined game – – holding the Eagles virtually shotless throughout the match. The two Texas goals were well-earned and they were well coached that day.

The same praise for them falls disappointingly short when it comes to their sidelines, as their adults were heckling the Eagles goalkeeper and players, but hopefully as they move on, they will realize that not much good comes from heckling these young players.

Of course, one could say the kids might as well get used to hostile fans, but for this observer, it seems that age 9 is a little young for that experience.

Nonetheless, hats off to their players, they earned the win against a stout effort from the Eagles.

Peace.

Maybe the sideline behavior is just a Texas thing? Ever watch Friday Night Tykes on Netflix? Crazy parents!

Maybe the sideline behavior is just a Texas thing? Ever watch Friday Night Tykes on Netflix? Crazy parents!

It's always funny when they show up to Surf Cup with their Texas flags. Even better when they had to leave with their tails between their legs after getting knocked out in bracket play for both of my dd's age groups the last two years.

Peace.

Not sure what heckling went on, I certainly didn't hear any, hope its not just sour grapes(no one talking trash from us on here) but I was near midfield w a gro pro getting video and on good behavior. I can only assume you mean in the second half as no one was near her in the first half(hill side). Not even sure what kind of heckling would have occurred, as the game was clean and well played. So, not saying it never happened, but if it did, couldn't have been much. (Not that any is ok). Though your parents did seem to make a big deal that our TM with a hurt knee was outside the touchline extended but half way up the hill. Seemed petty to me as she wasnt behind the goal and was WAY off the field.

Appreciate the kind words though. Eagles forwards had a tough time with our backline for sure. Strikers and Navy games were similar in nature. Our girls didn't allow many shots, and won the possession game. Surf Cup is a maybe, as our qualifying tourney is near the same time, so may not work out. We look forward to future rematches with the 4 teams we faced and playing those top Cali teams we didn't get to see(Blues and SD Surf).

Just to poke yall a little, because your left coasters: NTX did take home 04, 05, 06 and 07 gold trophies, so, not bad.

The Selecao coaches complained/bitched on just about every call or non call the entire game against Strikers. Listening to that got old in a hurry!

The Selecao coaches complained/bitched on just about every call or non call the entire game against Strikers. Listening to that got old in a hurry!

Not excusing, happened more than it should, but you have to admit, the short guy with no certification badge, wearing the same color blue as our team, and he wasnt much bigger than our girls, was pretty bad.... At the minimum, he violated ref rules about colors and wearing certification badge.

Not sure what heckling went on, I certainly didn't hear any, hope its not just sour grapes(no one talking trash from us on here) but I was near midfield w a gro pro getting video and on good behavior. I can only assume you mean in the second half as no one was near her in the first half(hill side). Not even sure what kind of heckling would have occurred, as the game was clean and well played. So, not saying it never happened, but if it did, couldn't have been much. (Not that any is ok). Though your parents did seem to make a big deal that our TM with a hurt knee was outside the touchline extended but half way up the hill. Seemed petty to me as she wasnt behind the goal and was WAY off the field.

Appreciate the kind words though. Eagles forwards had a tough time with our backline for sure. Strikers and Navy games were similar in nature. Our girls didn't allow many shots, and won the possession game. Surf Cup is a maybe, as our qualifying tourney is near the same time, so may not work out. We look forward to future rematches with the 4 teams we faced and playing those top Cali teams we didn't get to see(Blues and SD Surf).

Just to poke yall a little, because your left coasters: NTX did take home 04, 05, 06 and 07 gold trophies, so, not bad.

With all due respect, I appreciate the opportunity to clarify what was said -- and when -- yes, 2nd half, Texas parents repeatedly chiding Eagles goalkeeper and defender who took goal kicks to just "give it up" and go home.

Classy.

Further, if it was your TM With the bad knee, then that TM should clearly know better than to be sitting on Eagles side.

However, in addition to the TM, there was a cluster of about 5 other parents sitting with her. Yes, things got heated when that cluster vociferously complained about a foul called on a Texas player that left the Eagles center mid laying in the turf in pain.

Remember, these are 9 year olds.

That was the last straw and their presence was finally pointed out to the ref and he took action.

They sadly, vocally resisted moving to their side, but eventually did. The person with the bad knee stayed put, then moved back a bit.

Finally the ref insisted she leave that area. So instead of walking on the what appeared to be very flat ground to the appropriate side of the field, this individual with the bad knee walked right up that long, steep embankment to view the remainder of the game from there.

An incredible demonstration of willpower to fight through that knee pain.

Bottom line -- u have great players, a great team and a respectful coach who is clearly doing an excellent job.

Perhaps some of the adults could take a lesson going forward. It will make for a better experience down the line.

Moving on.

With all due respect, I appreciate the opportunity to clarify what was said -- and when -- yes, 2nd half, Texas parents repeatedly chiding Eagles goalkeeper and defender who took goal kicks to just "give it up" and go home.

Classy.

Further, if it was your TM With the bad knee, then that TM should clearly know better than to be sitting on Eagles side.

However, in addition to the TM, there was a cluster of about 5 other parents sitting with her. Yes, things got heated when that cluster vociferously complained about a foul called on a Texas player that left the Eagles center mid laying in the turf in pain.

Remember, these are 9 year olds.

That was the last straw and their presence was finally pointed out to the ref and he took action.

They sadly, vocally resisted moving to their side, but eventually did. The person with the bad knee stayed put, then moved back a bit.

Finally the ref insisted she leave that area. So instead of walking on the what appeared to be very flat ground to the appropriate side of the field, this individual with the bad knee walked right up that long, steep embankment to view the remainder of the game from there.

An incredible demonstration of willpower to fight through that knee pain.

Bottom line -- u have great players, a great team and a respectful coach who is clearly doing an excellent job.

Perhaps some of the adults could take a lesson going forward. It will make for a better experience down the line.

Moving on.

My experience with Texas teams is that they always have several parental bad eggs. Most of the parents are fine but the bad ones are pretty horrible.

Back