USWNT

I don't know these numbers but your points seem valid, it should be based on percentages of the take. The one thing in the report is that FIFA pays 40 million to the winner of the men's world cup. I don't know these number either but i would Ass u & me that the men's world cup generates 10 time more revenue than the woman's world cup so they can afford to pay more (10 times as much). Yes I know the governing bodies are corrupt.
On a separate note, I heard/read that they were thinking of increasing the number of teams in the woman world cup by eight, is that correct? I think it might be to soon for that as there were plenty of teams in the last woman's world cup that weren't competitive. Thoughts and did i see that correctly?

You did see that correctly and by the way it is being reported it sounds like more teams in 2023 is a done deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the men's World Cup made 10 times as much money as there are many more countries with media companies that are willing to shell out top dollar for it especially in soccer crazy countries.

My main point is that since US Soccer is involved in negotiating the joint television contracts for MLS and the US National teams that they should throw ALL of the revenue received from ALL sources over a 4 year period that includes both world cups and figure out an equitable percentage. I also think that they should invest some of it into the NWSL since it is the life blood of the US WNT. Without it the players would either all be playing overseas or they likely would not be keeping fit enough to compete. The English FA is mandating that all of the clubs invest more into the women's game and the league just secured a big investment from Barkley's to be the title sponsor for the WSL similar to how they are the title sponsor for the EPL. If we don't continue to invest in our pro league then we are going to fall behind eventually.

As I have said many times, one of the reasons to invest in women's soccer is to help the men's game. The biggest thing soccer needs in the US is to increase in popularity. Female soccer players often times go on to be paying soccer fans and/or soccer moms.

Jermaine Jones checked in on the discussion, but I'm unclear who he is trying to help. He seems to be taking a stand against "girls". Not sure where that is going to get him, but its a bold approach.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-usm...ens-soccer-and-equal-pay-fight-164822436.html

The quotes:
“I appreciate everything they’re doing. I think they’re doing an amazing job,” Jones said at an event in Los Angeles. “Of course, we as men we know it’s tougher to win a World Cup than the girls.”

“We of course have to respect and own what they’re doing and have to support them that they get kind of paid. But give me one country where the girls get paid the same as the men. There’s not one ... There is just no country. And that’s the point.”

“‘If we shut down the men’s team there will be no U.S. soccer.’ That’s the way it is. We just have a bigger platform in general. So if you look at numbers, the girls team have more like consistent fans for the fan base but if you look at the numbers in general the men’s team is way bigger.”

"get kind of paid"?? Whatever point he was trying to make, he made it poorly. Especially tough to win a World Cup from the couch watching teams that qualified play. I am putting my chips on stupid.

Jermaine Jones checked in on the discussion, but I'm unclear who he is trying to help. He seems to be taking a stand against "girls". Not sure where that is going to get him, but its a bold approach.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-usm...ens-soccer-and-equal-pay-fight-164822436.html

The quotes:
“I appreciate everything they’re doing. I think they’re doing an amazing job,” Jones said at an event in Los Angeles. “Of course, we as men we know it’s tougher to win a World Cup than the girls.”

“We of course have to respect and own what they’re doing and have to support them that they get kind of paid. But give me one country where the girls get paid the same as the men. There’s not one ... There is just no country. And that’s the point.”

“‘If we shut down the men’s team there will be no U.S. soccer.’ That’s the way it is. We just have a bigger platform in general. So if you look at numbers, the girls team have more like consistent fans for the fan base but if you look at the numbers in general the men’s team is way bigger.”

Jermaine has a fundamental misunderstanding of value. Players like him have never provided any monetary value for USSF. Like most MNT players, even in his peak Jones could have been replaced by any of 30 other people with zero reduction in ticket sales or prices, zero reduction in apparel sales, and zero reduction in the MNT's ability to make the WC. In fact, Jones and the rest of his merry band of losers actually have negative value for USSF, because the MNT must play in small stadiums in remote locations and in the snow just to have a chance to win soccer games, and are such p***ies that they can't handle 75,000 raucous Mexico supporters on a nice sunny day at the LA Coliseum.

Alex Morgan, on the other hand, has single-handedly generated millions of dollars of revenue for USSF and is easily the most valuable person in USSF history, with the possible exception of Landon Donovan, and I doubt even that. As many jerseys as Donovan sold, sales were still hamstrung by the fact that most people understood he was still just king of the p***ies, and no one wants to be that closely associated with a douche. However, you can't go five feet at a WNT game without seeing a Morgan jersey. Shoot, I bet even Tierna Davidson generated more revenue just from the auction of her pride jersey than Jermaine Jones generated for USSF in his entire life. With the exception of a few family members, I doubt Jermaine Jones ever caused a single person to attend a MNT game or buy a single jersey. Like I've said earlier, maybe VW entered into its sponsorship deal with USSF in part because they know beta males like Jones buy their stuff, but I'm pretty sure they did it because alpha girls like Jettas and Golfs, and daddies are suckers when it comes to their little girls.

I see Jermaine's type of thinking a lot in youth soccer clubs. Morons like him go around running youth soccer clubs because they're too dumb to do anything else. Then they spend all their time and effort fixated on trying to create boy super teams, paying their boys' coaches tons of money, and passing out "scholarships" to boys like candy if it helps them win games, and then they completely disregard the fact that girls actually pay their dues and drive the revenue. They wonder why a club like SoCal Blues rakes in cash hand over fist when they're just girls. And they continue to make thirty or forty grand a year when they'd make more than twice that if they'd ever realize that most of the money in soccer generated in the US from the age of 5 onward is generated because of girls. That the majority of money generated by USSF on the men's side happens because everyone went to the game to watch the MNT's opponent. Or wanted to see Messi beat the living crap out of the soccer version of the Washington Generals at the Copa.

Will someone please see that Jermaine gets this? I'd give it to him in person but I don't have any plans to go to an arena league game.

Jermaine has a fundamental misunderstanding of value. Players like him have never provided any monetary value for USSF. Like most MNT players, even in his peak Jones could have been replaced by any of 30 other people with zero reduction in ticket sales or prices, zero reduction in apparel sales, and zero reduction in the MNT's ability to make the WC. In fact, Jones and the rest of his merry band of losers actually have negative value for USSF, because the MNT must play in small stadiums in remote locations and in the snow just to have a chance to win soccer games, and are such p***ies that they can't handle 75,000 raucous Mexico supporters on a nice sunny day at the LA Coliseum.

Alex Morgan, on the other hand, has single-handedly generated millions of dollars of revenue for USSF and is easily the most valuable person in USSF history, with the possible exception of Landon Donovan, and I doubt even that. As many jerseys as Donovan sold, sales were still hamstrung by the fact that most people understood he was still just king of the p***ies, and no one wants to be that closely associated with a douche. However, you can't go five feet at a WNT game without seeing a Morgan jersey. Shoot, I bet even Tierna Davidson generated more revenue just from the auction of her pride jersey than Jermaine Jones generated for USSF in his entire life. With the exception of a few family members, I doubt Jermaine Jones ever caused a single person to attend a MNT game or buy a single jersey. Like I've said earlier, maybe VW entered into its sponsorship deal with USSF in part because they know beta males like Jones buy their stuff, but I'm pretty sure they did it because alpha girls like Jettas and Golfs, and daddies are suckers when it comes to their little girls.

I see Jermaine's type of thinking a lot in youth soccer clubs. Morons like him go around running youth soccer clubs because they're too dumb to do anything else. Then they spend all their time and effort fixated on trying to create boy super teams, paying their boys' coaches tons of money, and passing out "scholarships" to boys like candy if it helps them win games, and then they completely disregard the fact that girls actually pay their dues and drive the revenue. They wonder why a club like SoCal Blues rakes in cash hand over fist when they're just girls. And they continue to make thirty or forty grand a year when they'd make more than twice that if they'd ever realize that most of the money in soccer generated in the US from the age of 5 onward is generated because of girls. That the majority of money generated by USSF on the men's side happens because everyone went to the game to watch the MNT's opponent. Or wanted to see Messi beat the living crap out of the soccer version of the Washington Generals at the Copa.

Will someone please see that Jermaine gets this? I'd give it to him in person but I don't have any plans to go to an arena league game.

Cannot believe it, need to mark my calendar, because I agree with you 100%. Even that bit about Donovan.

Nope. They already have decided who the GM is going to be and they will go with one of her choices. If I was to bet I would say they offer it to Krikorian, Snow or Harvey although I would give the job to Paul Riley, Rory Dames or Vlatko A.

It will not be Riley for reasons that we have already discussed already. If Krikorian, the WNT is doomed, but not because he isn't a worthy coach. Word on the street is he's ok with America's finest playing abroad. If the marketable Americans bolt, the NWSL is doomed, which means a significant portion of the WNT pool vaporizes when they aren't willing to move to Europe and away from friends and families - even assuming Europe is interested in America's less marketable but still talented second and third tier players. Ellis held the line on her demand that players play here and USSF stood behind her during the 2017 revolt, which makes me believe it won't be Krikorian unless or until USSF caves in the lawsuit (like it should) and throws much more money to the ladies - but only if it continues funneling much of it through NWSL compensation.

So, for those who couldn't figure out why USSF pays WNT players in part through NWSL salaries, now you know. In essence, USSF pays the women to play 10-20 NT games a year plus another 24 NWSL games because that's the only way it can keep getting its millions from VW and Nike for the long haul. If the NWSL fails, USSF knows what happens - the WNT becomes beatable and poof, there goes USSF's main source of revenue. But requiring the women to play 24 more games a year than the men just so they get paid "the same" - and so USSF can keep the millions of dollars in sponsorship money coming in long term - really means they're paying the women half as much but expecting twice as much. The men get "the same" to play in half as many games, yet they get to do it poorly and USSF also lets them fly there on chartered planes.

In short, for those of you nodding your head in agreement with USSF's fact sheet, you are stupid. You have no idea how USSF really makes money. You have no idea how important the women are to USSF relative to the men. MAP and I could play the outside back spots for the MNT and USSF revenue would probably increase due the increased entertainment value, especially since I'm targeting Guardado straight away. I'd say I can't believe I need to explain this to people but, as mentioned in my prior post, I'm talking mostly to betas here.

Nope. They already have decided who the GM is going to be and they will go with one of her choices. If I was to bet I would say they offer it to Krikorian, Snow or Harvey although I would give the job to Paul Riley, Rory Dames or Vlatko A.
I can see Harvey.

As long as it's not Jose Mourinho.

From that espn list, Swanson seems like a frontrunner. Here's to hoping the slogging USSF makes a replacement decision in 2019. Don't hold your breath.

It will not be Riley for reasons that we have already discussed already. If Krikorian, the WNT is doomed, but not because he isn't a worthy coach. Word on the street is he's ok with America's finest playing abroad. If the marketable Americans bolt, the NWSL is doomed, which means a significant portion of the WNT pool vaporizes when they aren't willing to move to Europe and away from friends and families - even assuming Europe is interested in America's less marketable but still talented second and third tier players. Ellis held the line on her demand that players play here and USSF stood behind her during the 2017 revolt, which makes me believe it won't be Krikorian unless or until USSF caves in the lawsuit (like it should) and throws much more money to the ladies - but only if it continues funneling much of it through NWSL compensation.

So, for those who couldn't figure out why USSF pays WNT players in part through NWSL salaries, now you know. In essence, USSF pays the women to play 10-20 NT games a year plus another 24 NWSL games because that's the only way it can keep getting its millions from VW and Nike for the long haul. If the NWSL fails, USSF knows what happens - the WNT becomes beatable and poof, there goes USSF's main source of revenue. But requiring the women to play 24 more games a year than the men just so they get paid "the same" - and so USSF can keep the millions of dollars in sponsorship money coming in long term - really means they're paying the women half as much but expecting twice as much. The men get "the same" to play in half as many games, yet they get to do it poorly and USSF also lets them fly there on chartered planes.

In short, for those of you nodding your head in agreement with USSF's fact sheet, you are stupid. You have no idea how USSF really makes money. You have no idea how important the women are to USSF relative to the men. MAP and I could play the outside back spots for the MNT and USSF revenue would probably increase due the increased entertainment value, especially since I'm targeting Guardado straight away. I'd say I can't believe I need to explain this to people but, as mentioned in my prior post, I'm talking mostly to betas here.

Watching me play wide back and then watching me football tackle the forward the first time that he nutmegs me would be worth 100 million views alone! Then after I got red carded, ejected and started a fight with the ref, they would have to be back include a mid 40’s ex football player in every MNT pool purely for entertainment purposes!

Changing topics, what genius thought it was a good idea to play Ireland in an absolute snoozefest in front of a 40% full stadium? While I appreciated the pomp and circumstance, and the attempted homage to the history of the USWNT, the execution fell short. There was little excitement generated by the pre-game show, the choice of highlights and videos was awful, the ESPN2 announcers made me realize just how good the World Cup crew was (when Mia Hamm is the best commentator, you need to re-think your on air talent). That brief cut to the brainstorming session video was a weird non-sequitur.

The recent NWSL games have been much better at showcasing the women's game, and they really did not do a great job of marketing that league either on this victory tour broadcast. How about a follow up with Mia Hamm when she suggested the need for an LA NWSL team? Her relationship/ownership position in LAFC provides an obvious next question.

Changing topics, what genius thought it was a good idea to play Ireland in an absolute snoozefest in front of a 40% full stadium? While I appreciated the pomp and circumstance, and the attempted homage to the history of the USWNT, the execution fell short. There was little excitement generated by the pre-game show, the choice of highlights and videos was awful, the ESPN2 announcers made me realize just how good the World Cup crew was (when Mia Hamm is the best commentator, you need to re-think your on air talent). That brief cut to the brainstorming session video was a weird non-sequitur.

The recent NWSL games have been much better at showcasing the women's game, and they really did not do a great job of marketing that league either on this victory tour broadcast. How about a follow up with Mia Hamm when she suggested the need for an LA NWSL team? Her relationship/ownership position in LAFC provides an obvious next question.

I agree and would also add that Chicago and Utah Royals were playing a significant gaming WITHOUT WNT players! A game that mattered to their teammates and they got to play against a team that would likely lose to top college teams while an meaningful game in the domestic professional league got skipped. Is this what is truly best for US Women's soccer?

Not to mention that Portland drew Sky Blue (dropping them to 2nd place) and Washington lost to North Carolina (putting Washington out of the 4th playoff spot). The level of ambivalence towards the NWSL that US Soccer shows is astounding.

The games were excellent too. The NWSL is the best top to bottom league in the world and the players get treated worse than in Europe. My player most likely is going to play in England but Spain and France are big possibilities. She would only play for Portland or North Carolina domestically so she hasn't decided if she is even going to put her name into the draft. She doesn't want to get picked by a few of the teams that have better draft positions. She won't be the only player from her team that goes to play in one of the top leagues in Europe. The treatment of the NWSL by US Soccer hasn't gone unnoticed by American and other players...

And with Real Madrid getting into the game, and Barkley's becoming the title sponsor for the WSL in England this will only be the beginning. Let's hope that the new WNT coach is willing to let players that don't get the "golden ticket" of a US Soccer contract play outside of the country and still be on the radar.

And with Real Madrid getting into the game, and Barkley's becoming the title sponsor for the WSL in England this will only be the beginning. Let's hope that the new WNT coach is willing to let players that don't get the "golden ticket" of a US Soccer contract play outside of the country and still be on the radar.

MAP! These 2 posts are great! You obviously know what you are talking about! I recently read an article on the other soccer site regarding this...a top player for FSU said she will be better compensated from her University than the NWSL. I believe you said this before that unless you're on the US national team its hard to justify playing in the league for a large amount of time and they miss out on many top players when they would have been in their athletic and mental prime! They leave to go to into their profession. While I don't have an answer because I believe the NWSL is currently not a money making venture which like you said, US Soccer should be helping promote this league! Our players need choices and overseas may be the right one financially but honestly that is not their first choice, they want to play here!

Back