USWNT

Been busy and missed the rest of y'all post.

The lack of diversity on the men's basketball team was based on meritocracy, and who WANTED to go. Some folks turned it down. I'm sure if DIRK wanted to go he could.

Feeder schools, feeder clubs, all of that. And yes my player is glad to see some other ladies out on the field that look like her. Just as was stated in another thread above, us soccer over looks a lot of talent if it doesn't fit into their "box" whatever that box is (school, club, eye color, whatever). Look at the young lady playing on the Ghana u17 team.
Am I saying it's done intentionally? No. I'm saying I know more than ONE black or mixed heritage woman is good enough to be on the USWNT at a time. This is the first time I have ever seen more than one. This summer we got Mallory and crystal playing together. The other night we had Casey, crystal, and Lynn. It was a nice look.
My opinion. You don't have to agree.

I agree. You forgot Press her dad is half black.

Canada Soccer does it right

The Canadian soccer federation is at least 10x better than US soccer. How do they continue to get it right with a 10th of our population and we can't figure it out? They even get US colleges to help develop their players!

Looks as though the USWNT closed their deal on equal pay....from the NYT:

"U.S. Women’s Soccer Team and U.S. Soccer Ratify New Labor Agreement
"The deal, which was ratified by the players on Tuesday night in Dallas and by U.S. Soccer’s board in a conference call, includes a sizable increase in base pay and improved match bonuses for the women’s team, changes that could see some players double their incomes to between $200,000 and $300,000 in a given year — and even more in a World Cup year.

The agreement also includes sought-after changes to noneconomic issues like travel, accommodations and working conditions. The union also won control of some licensing and marketing rights from the federation, another potential source of revenue for the players."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/sports/soccer/uswnt-us-soccer-labor-deal-contract.html?_r=0

Looks as though the USWNT closed their deal on equal pay....from the NYT:

"U.S. Women’s Soccer Team and U.S. Soccer Ratify New Labor Agreement
"The deal, which was ratified by the players on Tuesday night in Dallas and by U.S. Soccer’s board in a conference call, includes a sizable increase in base pay and improved match bonuses for the women’s team, changes that could see some players double their incomes to between $200,000 and $300,000 in a given year — and even more in a World Cup year.

The agreement also includes sought-after changes to noneconomic issues like travel, accommodations and working conditions. The union also won control of some licensing and marketing rights from the federation, another potential source of revenue for the players."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/sports/soccer/uswnt-us-soccer-labor-deal-contract.html?_r=0

Thanks for the update.

It's about damn time that the USWNT is treated the same as the USMNT in terms of pay and other non-economic issues. Let's be honest, the USWNT has been much better over the years than their male counterparts. If anything, the USMNT should be paid less.

Thanks Babab...It seems interesting the Players fired their chief negotiator a few days before the CBA expired in December Then the players shifted from "equal pay" to "fair and equitable" pay...now this issue is nicely settled past the next Womens WC...

Thanks Babab...It seems interesting the Players fired their chief negotiator a few days before the CBA expired in December Then the players shifted from "equal pay" to "fair and equitable" pay...now this issue is nicely settled past the next Womens WC...
It will be interesting to see if Mallory Pugh leaves UCLA early now with the increase in pay for WNT players. Especially, since she is a sure lock for the 2019 WWC roster.

It will be interesting to see if Mallory Pugh leaves UCLA early now with the increase in pay for WNT players. Especially, since she is a sure lock for the 2019 WWC roster.

Won't happen. The details have yet to be finalized and the only years that the US WNT makes good bonuses are World Cup and Olympic years. Just take a glimpse at how the men are paid to get an idea of what they will get. Also remember that they did not get equal pay and US Soccer pays the women's salaries not the men. I think that a lot of the increase is for the veteran players and the fringe (occasional call up players) that play in the NWSL. Here is a decent comparison.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/women-earn-the-glory-while-men-earn-the-money-in-u-s-soccer/

At the end of the day we will see. There are only 2 games on the schedule after these two against Russia through July. She definitely is not going to jump ship this year in order to play in the NWSL (she would have to wait until January anyway).

Here are some key lines:

The result of all those long days and late nights is the team’s new collective bargaining agreement with U.S. Soccer, which was announced on Wednesday morning. The agreement includes a sizable increase in base pay for the players — more than 30 percent, initially — and improved match bonuses that could double some of their incomes, to $200,000 to $300,000 in any given year, and even more in a year that includes a World Cup or Olympic campaign.

Yet while the women’s players can claim significant gains, including on noneconomic issues like travel and working conditions, the new deal does not guarantee them equal pay with the men’s national team, which the women had made the cornerstone of their campaign for much of the last year. For the union, that reality — a consequence of the teams’ different pay structures and an eight-figure gap in FIFA bonus payouts to U.S. Soccer for the men’s and women’s World Cup — was balanced by progress elsewhere. It is those changes, including control of some licensing and marketing rights, which the union views as an opening to test the team’s value on the open market, that the players and their lawyers feel could pay off in future negotiations.

“We tried to completely change the methodology for how to define our value, and we made progress in that regard, and it changes the equation for the future,” Becca Roux, the union’s executive director, said.

The agreement is actually very insidious on US Soccer's side. If they don't win the WWC in 2019 or the Olympics in 2020 they are going to be in a weak negotiating position.

It's about damn time that the USWNT is treated the same as the USMNT in terms of pay and other non-economic issues. Let's be honest, the USWNT has been much better over the years than their male counterparts. If anything, the USMNT should be paid less.
That's ridiculous re equal pay.

Women's soccer generates nowhere near the amount of revenue as men's soccer. The men are paid more because they generate way, way, way more revenue.

2014 men's World Cup generated $4.8 billion, 2015 women's World Cup revenue numbers are not out yet, but in 2011 women's World Cup generated $78 million. So let's say 2015 women's World Cup generated $100 million.

Sports is an eat what you kill business. The women should be paid out of their $100 million pie, men paid out of their $4.8 billion pie. Given the huge revenue generation difference, the men should be paid more, and there's nothing unfair about it.

Dallas FC under-15 boys squad beat the U.S. Women's National Team in a scrimmage
http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

"Of course, this match against the academy team was very informal and should not be a major cause for alarm. The U.S. surely wasn’t going all out, with the main goal being to get some minutes on the pitch, build chemistry when it comes to moving the ball around, improve defensive shape and get ready for Russia."

About 11 yrs ago a U16 WCFC National Cup Championship team (prior to Boys DA) also beat the US WNT. I recall the score was something like 2-0.

That's ridiculous re equal pay.

Women's soccer generates nowhere near the amount of revenue as men's soccer. The men are paid more because they generate way, way, way more revenue.

2014 men's World Cup generated $4.8 billion, 2015 women's World Cup revenue numbers are not out yet, but in 2011 women's World Cup generated $78 million. So let's say 2015 women's World Cup generated $100 million.

Sports is an eat what you kill business. The women should be paid out of their $100 million pie, men paid out of their $4.8 billion pie. Given the huge revenue generation difference, the men should be paid more, and there's nothing unfair about it.
We are talking about the US Women's team and not the rest of the world. Using World Cup numbers do not apply under this conversation. If we were talking about the game globally you certainly have a case. And, I would hope that US Soccer would do the right thing. They can't keep expecting the US Women to maintain their competitive level without some financial benefits. Here are some numbers when you compare the US Men to the US Women.

"The gap between projected revenue — $23 million for the USWNT and $21 million for the USMNT — in 2016 stands at $2 million, but, as demonstrated by the revenue detail, the USWNT’s revenue is set to nearly double what the USMNT will haul in ($17 million to $9 million) in 2017."

Thanks for the update.

"Better" in the sense of results in the women's soccer world. They regularly get beat by mid-teens boys ODP teams.

About 11 yrs ago a U16 WCFC National Cup Championship team (prior to Boys DA) also beat the US WNT. I recall the score was something like 2-0.
Since most of the posters I know have daughters playing I also have a 2002 son playing Tier 1. Not academy but I will say this, at 15 -16 there is no hope for the women keeping up with the men at this age and beyond. Watching the highest level women's game compared to some of the top 2002, 2001 boys teams play is painful. At this age the boys are quicker, faster, stronger and yes bigger. Most of the quality teams paint the field and have great soccer IQ.

"Better" in the sense of results in the women's soccer world. They regularly get beat by mid-teens boys ODP teams.
Are you trying to say males are better at most sports than females? Is it also true that teenage sprinters are faster than masters age sprinters? I fail to see how that has anything to do with anything regarding this discussion. Men and women are different. Comparing women to men athletically is just silly.

We are talking about the US Women's team and not the rest of the world. Using World Cup numbers do not apply under this conversation. If we were talking about the game globally you certainly have a case. And, I would hope that US Soccer would do the right thing. They can't keep expecting the US Women to maintain their competitive level without some financial benefits. Here are some numbers when you compare the US Men to the US Women.

"The gap between projected revenue — $23 million for the USWNT and $21 million for the USMNT — in 2016 stands at $2 million, but, as demonstrated by the revenue detail, the USWNT’s revenue is set to nearly double what the USMNT will haul in ($17 million to $9 million) in 2017."

The US men didn't make the Olympics and that is part of the difference. You have to compare World Cup year revenues. I believe if you do that the numbers are much different.

The US men didn't make the Olympics and that is part of the difference. You have to compare World Cup year revenues. I believe if you do that the numbers are much different.
With the US Men not qualifying for Olympics only strengthens the argument. So, lets use the WC revenue. If we compare the two teams the US women (and not talking about any other women's national team) still made more money with less money coming into the Women's WC overall than the US Men's. The point is this, if US Soccer wants to continue to have a strong women's program they will have to pay the women more at some time.

Come on Espola......did you really think I was comparing the men's team with the women's team on the same pitch? We know what would happen if these two teams played one another.

My point is that the USWNT results (against other women's teams to help you) have been much more impressive than our USMNT.

Since most of the posters I know have daughters playing I also have a 2002 son playing Tier 1. Not academy but I will say this, at 15 -16 there is no hope for the women keeping up with the men at this age and beyond. Watching the highest level women's game compared to some of the top 2002, 2001 boys teams play is painful. At this age the boys are quicker, faster, stronger and yes bigger. Most of the quality teams paint the field and have great soccer IQ.

I agree my son back in the day was on a Silver Elite team and his coach also had a Gold team. I recall their scrimmages and how much faster and athletic the boys were. At U15 girls generally get slower, but the boys get faster.

Back