USWNT

We were playing defend and counter. If it weren't for our superior athleticism and conditioning we would have lost that game.

Man I can't agree with you more. When watching the game I was shaking my head how the women were playing. The world is catching up to women soccer and we can't rely on just our superior athleticism. I'm afraid people is US soccer disagree or like there plan going forward.

Man I can't agree with you more. When watching the game I was shaking my head how the women were playing. The world is catching up to women soccer and we can't rely on just our superior athleticism. I'm afraid people is US soccer disagree or like there plan going forward.
I know its not a popular thing to say (as many posters have told me) but maybe we should look more closely at what countries are making the greatest growth. To be specific look at the last 3 WC teams (Spain, Germany, France) on the men's side who have won. Their women's game has steadily grown, changed, and are on a rising trajectory. Why? A common thread called a style of play. I did not mention Brazil and Japan because they are uniquely different. But should be mentioned.

Last edited:
I’ve posted this opinion before but with disagreement from others. Having a common

I know its not a popular thing to say (as many posters have told me) but maybe we should look more closely at what countries are making the greatest growth. To be specific look at the last 3 WC teams (Spain, Germany, France) on the men's side who have won. Their women's game has steadily grown, changed, and are on a rising trajectory. Why? A common thread called a style of play. I did not mention Brazil and Japan because they are uniquely different. But should be mentioned.

It’s pretty simple. It’s starts in our youth development system. If we can’t start teaching skills now in the youth - then it’s doing a disservice to developing and towards the national team. The style of play will always be a hot topic but more concerning is the pressure these soccer coaches on to just win win and win.

I’ve posted this opinion before but with disagreement from others. Having a common

While I somewhat agree with you, Spain's style of play didn't exactly work out that well in 2018 WC.

Agree, agree, agree...
I have said as much myself with the same pushback and here is what I have noticed about what the pushback has in common. They have no true understanding of the game. For most, their first experience with the game is when their own child began playing rec. For some, their kids suck but they know it all, for others, their kids are the best on the team so they MUST know it all and the lessors (parents) on the team listen to them. What they don't understand is the guy they are listening to whose kid is good is good, usually, through athleticism, not soccer IQ. When I say, we are falling behind, I don't mean that our women's team will lose in the first round of WWC (I actually expect them to win this year), what I am saying is that if we don't change, within 10 years, our women's team will be just like our men's team. Good but not great. I think it was Spain's coach that said it best when he said that we have millions of girls playing soccer in this country and only 42,000 (of all age groups) girls registered to play in Spain. Love when he said that we are in the same race and Spain is behind USA but Spain is running faster. Those countries you mention already know that they are making big leaps in their development and will soon pass us. That is why they now play with so much confidence against us. We have already lost the "Mike Tyson" advantage.

Agree, agree, agree...
I have said as much myself with the same pushback and here is what I have noticed about what the pushback has in common. They have no true understanding of the game. For most, their first experience with the game is when their own child began playing rec. For some, their kids suck but they know it all, for others, their kids are the best on the team so they MUST know it all and the lessors (parents) on the team listen to them. What they don't understand is the guy they are listening to whose kid is good is good, usually, through athleticism, not soccer IQ. When I say, we are falling behind, I don't mean that our women's team will lose in the first round of WWC (I actually expect them to win this year), what I am saying is that if we don't change, within 10 years, our women's team will be just like our men's team. Good but not great. I think it was Spain's coach that said it best when he said that we have millions of girls playing soccer in this country and only 42,000 (of all age groups) girls registered to play in Spain. Love when he said that we are in the same race and Spain is behind USA but Spain is running faster. Those countries you mention already know that they are making big leaps in their development and will soon pass us. That is why they now play with so much confidence against us. We have already lost the "Mike Tyson" advantage.
Objectivity and always trying to learn more about the game as a parent with children playing could help curb that mentality. Yes, being proactive and starting now is the way to go. Beginning at the youngest ages as GToTheB mentioned is very important to foster those attributes needed to develop players. I also agree and hope our WNT can get far and possibly win, but it will not be done easily and could be ugly at times.

Last edited:
I do not disagree that European teams often play a more pleasing style of soccer, I just disagree with the suggestion we emulate European youth development, particularly on the girls side, when the athletic, educational, employment and social environment here are vastly different. Soccer will not grow and flourish if they remove our national team program and players from public view (a la US Soccer's DA direction), and sever the link between education and athletics.

Our bigger issue is our national team staff's recurring habit of building all-star teams based on the best athletes and individual performances, and ending up with too many selfish players who lack the inclination nor experience to work together. It seems none of our national team coaches or scouts are looking for players like David Silva, Iniesta, Xabi Alonso, Vincent Kompany, Dani Alves -- smart/technical players capable of making an entire team better around them. That is the part of Europe we need to emulate, and those are the players we need to develop.

Best thing we have going right now in US Men's Soccer -- 16 players in the Bundesliga, over half 21 years old or younger.

I do not disagree that European teams often play a more pleasing style of soccer, I just disagree with the suggestion we emulate European youth development, particularly on the girls side, when the athletic, educational, employment and social environment here are vastly different. Soccer will not grow and flourish if they remove our national team program and players from public view (a la US Soccer's DA direction), and sever the link between education and athletics.

Our bigger issue is our national team staff's recurring habit of building all-star teams based on the best athletes and individual performances, and ending up with too many selfish players who lack the inclination nor experience to work together. It seems none of our national team coaches or scouts are looking for players like David Silva, Iniesta, Xabi Alonso, Vincent Kompany, Dani Alves -- smart/technical players capable of making an entire team better around them. That is the part of Europe we need to emulate, and those are the players we need to develop.

Best thing we have going right now in US Men's Soccer -- 16 players in the Bundesliga, over half 21 years old or younger.
There isn’t anything wrong with learning from them as they have created a means to an end that has been successful. And, more importantly continues to be. Then from there create a platform that meets our needs here. I’ve seen the curriculum here and it’s just a standard. Which is fine, but it does not provide specifics to get there. It’s like solving a math problem without showing your work. In those steps of solving that equation are growth patterns we need.

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/pro...-transfer-of-chris-richards-to-bayern-munich/

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/who...ck-prospect-who-has/ombmqco8e5pd1esbxol2jwrt7

At least FC Dallas is developing top notch players. Between Richards and McKinnie the top Bundesliga clubs are loving their young American players.

There isn’t anything wrong with learning from them as they have created a means to an end that has been successful. And, more importantly continues to be. Then from there create a platform that meets our needs here. I’ve seen the curriculum here and it’s just a standard. Which is fine, but it does not provide specifics to get there. It’s like solving a math problem without showing your work. In those steps of solving that equation are growth patterns we need.

Then it seems we may agree, as the primary issue is the coaching and curriculum. US Soccer is going the opposite way in creating a structure that remains hollow at its core.

I also agree we need to learning from them, but we also need to learn from other successful sports and coaches in this country, if we want soccer to continue increasing in popularity and attracting the best athletes.

Possession for possession sake means nothing. Spain didn't push anything at the USA. Never attacked in the final 18. 4 shots Spain, 9 USA. Watching the game, it seemed close in possession (maybe 55-45 Spain to USA) while the announcers kept saying Spain had the ball all the time. FYI final possession stats were 52% spain, 48% USA. Announcing was way off. Really looked like the US was shaking off the cobwebs and looking like they hadn't been playing any matches the last couple months. Morgan has looked bad last two games, Lavelle and Horan sloppy, Heath ball hogging and turning it over. Davidson has looked really good last two games. She is going to be a great player.

Back