USWNT

Spain 42,000 registered women in soccer
USA 1,000,000 registered women in soccer

1-0 USA win, Spain dominates in possession.

In 10 years womens soccer will be in the same space as the men unless:

1) our player development improves
2) our soccer culture improves

I will take the win but we will need to be much better to win the WWC. I will take the win though.

Want to make our women's game like the men's game -- keep on the path US Soccer has put us on de-emphasizing high school and college in the name of "development." Restrict elite soccer to the select few, who toil outside of public view.

The result will be more top female athletes in Socal switching from soccer to volleyball. Enjoy it while youth soccer becomes a third rate girls sport behind basketball and volleyball for anyone over the age of 10. And watch girls lacrosse continue to grow in popularity, taking more athletes away from soccer.

High school and college sports are our unique advantage -- so we need to make them work better for soccer, not work against them. Work with the leagues and programs to reduce the number of games. Provide more coaching education and guidance. Try to adapt the schedules so they do not conflict with international breaks/play, so we can see our future stars play in our local schools.

Want to make our women's game like the men's game -- keep on the path US Soccer has put us on de-emphasizing high school and college in the name of "development." Restrict elite soccer to the select few, who toil outside of public view.

The result will be more top female athletes in Socal switching from soccer to volleyball. Enjoy it while youth soccer becomes a third rate girls sport behind basketball and volleyball for anyone over the age of 10. And watch girls lacrosse continue to grow in popularity, taking more athletes away from soccer.

High school and college sports are our unique advantage -- so we need to make them work better for soccer, not work against them. Work with the leagues and programs to reduce the number of games. Provide more coaching education and guidance. Try to adapt the schedules so they do not conflict with international breaks/play, so we can see our future stars play in our local schools.
I’d like to hear more about how High school soccer is our unique advantage. Everything I read on this Forum tends to put HS soccer as a Social opportunity over one for Development and Growth as a player.

It seems to me that the counties that are growing the quickest in the female game are those with strong professional men’s leagues who’s clubs are investing in the women’s game and using the knowledge from a successful Men’s Federation to bolster the Women’s side.

Last edited:
Is like to hear more about how High school soccer is our unique advantage. Everything I read on this Forum tends to put HS soccer as a Social opportunity over one for Development and Growth as a player.

It seems to me that the counties that are growing the quickest in the female game are those with strong professional men’s leagues who’s clubs are investing in the women’s game and using the knowledge from a successful Men’s Federation to bolster the Women’s side.

Is there another country that has the level of local facilities, participation and interest in high school athletics as the United States? Is there a better way to display leadership, commitment and community involvement, thereby improving their chances of getting into a decent college, for a young athlete than through success in their local high school program? I am not talking about soccer specifically, but team athletics in the USA.

Soccer does not have the same primary team sport status here in the USA like it does in nearly every European country. Soccer here has to compete with every other sport not just for field space, but for participation and interest. It does not help promote the sport by trying to remove it from our communities and education system, and through statements and actions, having a federation denigrate the sport played in those institutions.

You do not make it in the european youth soccer system? Back to your local community where unemployment rates amoung the younger generation are shockingly high. Soccer is a chance to change that narrative. You do not make it after playing college soccer? Well, as a college graduate your employment future looks bright.

But let's continue to put US soccer back into the European niche it came out of.

Is there another country that has the level of local facilities, participation and interest in high school athletics as the United States? Is there a better way to display leadership, commitment and community involvement, thereby improving their chances of getting into a decent college, for a young athlete than through success in their local high school program? I am not talking about soccer specifically, but team athletics in the USA.

Soccer does not have the same primary team sport status here in the USA like it does in nearly every European country. Soccer here has to compete with every other sport not just for field space, but for participation and interest. It does not help promote the sport by trying to remove it from our communities and education system, and through statements and actions, having a federation denigrate the sport played in those institutions.

You do not make it in the european youth soccer system? Back to your local community where unemployment rates amoung the younger generation are shockingly high. Soccer is a chance to change that narrative. You do not make it after playing college soccer? Well, as a college graduate your employment future looks bright.

But let's continue to put US soccer back into the European niche it came out of.

Thanks for elaborating, your points are well taken. I appreciate your insight (despite the arrogant tone, which I understand based on some of the personalities on this forum).

Last edited:
That’s for elaborating, your points are well taken. I appreciate your insight (despite the arrogant tone, which I understand based on some of the personalities on this forum).

Apologize for tone. I actually am not upset with the question nor the forum, just frustrated by the attitude within US Soccer, and where I see them taking us.

You are spot on. Girls DA is more about "me" than team. HS is all about team. I'm pissed at the DA. I'm proud of my dd (Freshman) to walk away from the DA and go for a CIF championship. Socal should have a top league that allows all girls to be able to do both. We are too much of an either or society instead of both and. You should be to play at the highest level as a youth and still play HS Soccer All other sports in HS are praised. Why not soccer? Sad

You are spot on. Girls DA is more about "me" than team. HS is all about team. I'm pissed at the DA. I'm proud of my dd (Freshman) to walk away from the DA and go for a CIF championship. Socal should have a top league that allows all girls to be able to do both. We are too much of an either or society instead of both and. You should be to play at the highest level as a youth and still play HS Soccer All other sports in HS are praised. Why not soccer? Sad
We do!(or, did?)It’s called ECNL.

I think were all getting screwed. This is a business and we are the customers. I must admit I was drinking the koolaid too. National Camp call ups and college coaches. It's a scam folks. If ten 8th and 9th graders go on Instagram telling all their friends they have verbally committed, only 2 will go to that school. Coaches get fired and new coaches might have other plans and no contract was signed and some girls change their minds. #letthemplayHS.........lol

We do!(or, did?)It’s called ECNL.
Maybe in Orange county, but not in the rest of Southern California. ECNL was/is a closed system whose members were (maybe still are) more focused on protecting their monopoly than developing players. GDA seems to have copied all the downsides of ECNL and added a few of their own. While there are positives to both leagues, the disadvantages of both are very apparent.

Dos Equis has said it better than I ever could. We have an awesome basic infrastructure with HS and college sports in addition to a very strong club sports system. If only we could get them to work together.

Regarding the US vs. Spain friendly, I have only watched the first 30 minutes so far, but I don't think it was as bad as many here seem to think. For one thing, Spain is reminding me of their men's team in last year's WC, were my main thought about Spain was that someone needed to remind them that there was a goal at the other end of the field.

Maybe in Orange county, but not in the rest of Southern California. ECNL was/is a closed system whose members were (maybe still are) more focused on protecting their monopoly than developing players. GDA seems to have copied all the downsides of ECNL and added a few of their own. While there are positives to both leagues, the disadvantages of both are very apparent.

Dos Equis has said it better than I ever could. We have an awesome basic infrastructure with HS and college sports in addition to a very strong club sports system. If only we could get them to work together.

Regarding the US vs. Spain friendly, I have only watched the first 30 minutes so far, but I don't think it was as bad as many here seem to think. For one thing, Spain is reminding me of their men's team in last year's WC, were my main thought about Spain was that someone needed to remind them that there was a goal at the other end of the field.

Spain is ranked 12th in the world and has no players with pace. That isn’t a problem that France, Germany, Netherlands, Australia and the other contenders have. We held 23% possession in the first half. If our goal is to be a defend and counter team then we looked great! If we are trying to win the WWC then vast improvement is in order.

I love how the folks at this website start building bomb shelters when the U.S. doesn't win friendlies by enough goals.

It’s not that they lose, or don’t win by enough goals. It’s how they are playing, to me. They look like shit. Play like shit. I’m not going to sit back and rest with myopathy about the past, and make excuses for what I see now.

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/201...s-world-cup-jill-ellis-team-selection-tactics

I found this article that was written during the last women's World Cup while looking up something, and I found it funny that they were saying similar things to what is being said today.

"Except this team hasn't been impressive in any way, and everyone can see it. For hardcore fans that watch poor quality streams of untelevised friendlies year-round, it's a continuation of a pattern. But even those who are tuning in for the first time in four years can tell this isn't the USWNT of old. They're just not nearly as impressive as they were last time around. What happened? The game has changed and the United States haven't changed with it."
"The good news for the U.S. is that they're going to get away with this for two more games. They'll play a mediocre third-placed team in the Round of 16, then China or Cameroon in the quarterfinal. Their next two opponents are worse than their group stage opponents, and the Americans have enough talent to scrape by them without a midfield. But when they come up against real modern midfielders like Germany's Dzsenifer Marozsán, Simone Laudehr and Melanie Leupolz, and a dangerous second striker like Alexandra Popp, we're going to see the USWNT's totally non-existent "No. 6s" exposed."

Last edited:
https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/201...s-world-cup-jill-ellis-team-selection-tactics

I found this article that was written during the last women's World Cup while looking up something, and I found it funny that they were saying similar things to what is being said today.

"Except this team hasn't been impressive in any way, and everyone can see it. For hardcore fans that watch poor quality streams of untelevised friendlies year-round, it's a continuation of a pattern. But even those who are tuning in for the first time in four years can tell this isn't the USWNT of old. They're just not nearly as impressive as they were last time around. What happened? The game has changed and the United States haven't changed with it."
"The good news for the U.S. is that they're going to get away with this for two more games. They'll play a mediocre third-placed team in the Round of 16, then China or Cameroon in the quarterfinal. Their next two opponents are worse than their group stage opponents, and the Americans have enough talent to scrape by them without a midfield. But when they come up against real modern midfielders like Germany's Dzsenifer Marozsán, Simone Laudehr and Melanie Leupolz, and a dangerous second striker like Alexandra Popp, we're going to see the USWNT's totally non-existent "No. 6s" exposed."
Its always interesting when history repeats itself.

Back