USWNT

I have to wonder when our style changed to vanilla. It would seem that with such a wonderfully wide and diverse land with so many points of origin that we would have a style so free flowing and diverse as this great land. Maybe instead of us blending it all up and making a smoothie we should try for something more like a 7 layer dip. Utilizing many styles but layering them seamlessly.

I know I am dreaming but we can hope right?

Well, i think it's because there are way better opportunities in the US career wise than professional soccer. While it can be an amazing experience that is unique, over the long term, you probably be better off financially by working to become a doctor/lawyer, etc... we talk about kids in other countries who play soccer from dusk till dawn - why the hell aren't they in school? Here it is more about getting into higher education while playing something you love. Given that you really do need intelligence and creativity to truly play the beautiful game, a lot of the players who have the most potential in soccer also could be very successful in much higher paying and less physically demanding jobs.

So, at the end of the day, you end up with these players that are very good, but not GREAT. And for those to succeed, rather than creating their own style, they have to emulate others and so they all end up looking the same.

Just my theory...

USA needs new blood. They can play out the back beautifully and somewhat transition to middies to only lose all patience in final third with old style North/South running forwards. Sad.

clearly we have a problem selecting the right talent. There are so many soccer players in the US-we should be dominating. What I watched tonight makes me wonder if selection on WNT is just all a scam. They cannot event connect passes! The defense is just sending the ball to noone! Just embarrassing!!!

clearly we have a problem selecting the right talent. There are so many soccer players in the US-we should be dominating. What I watched tonight makes me wonder if selection on WNT is just all a scam. They cannot event connect passes! The defense is just sending the ball to noone! Just embarrassing!!!

Just like State Cup finals.

Hope Solo bailed out the US WNT many times during her career. Yes she was controversial figure...but, without her in goal. We might finally be seeing just how important of a role she was for the defense.

It's the head coaches fault for failing to develop the talent in the hopper and kowtowing to the incumbent even as she made mistakes and embarrassed the organization.

It's the head coaches fault for failing to develop the talent in the hopper and kowtowing to the incumbent even as she made mistakes and embarrassed the organization.
The goal could have been saved. Watch the replay (WatchESPN app) Naeher was slow to react off her line and then actually stepped backwards vs coming all the way out, making herself big and cutting off the angle.

As for Ellis, some advice...when you play a 4-4-2. Make sure you don't play 2 holding mids, Long and Mewis seriously. How about a holding mid and an attacking mid? Sure Lavelle and Heath are injured, but IDK maybe start Morgan Brian. Also why sub out Taylor Smith, IMO I haven't seen anything in Short after 4-5 games already. Press and Horan was an atrocious pairing uptop.

Remove the Russian wins and the US WNT record in 2017 isn't very good. She Believes Cup fail, 1st game in this tournament fail. USWNT reminds me of Tiger Woods. The intimidation factor is GONE.

There are so many soccer players in the US-we should be dominating

soccer is not supposed to be a game of domination. It should not be games of 5-0, 6-0, 4-0 games all of the time. The style of play that got us those results doesn't cut it anymore. That was the beginning of women's soccer, which, unfortunately, wasn't as far back as anybody here would like. This change has been going on for years now, and it was a staffing/coaching problem that the USWNT didn't adjust to the game and to the other nations starting to play not just adequate soccer that compete,s but good soccer, and that now that there are countries who overwhelm us in one way (i.e. France, faster AND more technical) or another, I would say we're behind the curve.

The game evolves. That's why it is the beautiful game. That's why UCLA, Stanford, (USC) don't when all the games even though they are probably the top two teams in the conference. It's why UNC doesn't when all the championships anymore. It's why Barca doesn't win all the games, why Real doesn't, why Man U, or Juve doesn't. I agree with many posters who say there is a coaching process and that there are those who should get a call up with our WNT. However, there are those in that lineup, who deserve to be there and are world class players. That cannot be argued.

Having a lot of soccer players and having quality soccer players that can compete at the international level are two different things also.

The goal could have been saved. Watch the replay (WatchESPN app) Naeher was slow to react off her line and then actually stepped backwards vs coming all the way out, making herself big and cutting off the angle.

As for Ellis, some advice...when you play a 4-4-2. Make sure you don't play 2 holding mids, Long and Mewis seriously. How about a holding mid and an attacking mid? Sure Lavelle and Heath are injured, but IDK maybe start Morgan Brian. Also why sub out Taylor Smith, IMO I haven't seen anything in Short after 4-5 games already. Press and Horan was an atrocious pairing uptop.

Great point about the formation! Have some depth. I feel like every single time anyone (ESPN, interviewee, even when Mia is calling the game, and definitely Ellis) uses the word depth is talking about the bench and who they have as subs and not on the field as much. Why was Horan even up top!?!

Why was Horan even up top!?!

IDK, my only guess is Ellis felt bad by not starting her at holding midfield or maybe she wanted to play 3 holding midfielders with Horan out of position. Who knows what she is thinking when she has the following forwards sitting on the bench with Alex Morgan, Crystal Dunn, Lynn Williams, and Sydney Leroux.

When you have 2 forwards they better be fast and Press isn't know for her speed. Horan, I've never thought she was fast. Rampino played well as the left winger though.

Last edited:
Frustrating to watch, to say the least. Horan at forward? Haven't been impressed with Short at all. Unfortunately, Naher doesn't inspire the confidence we all had with Solo between the pipes. My DD Asitting next to me as we watched, says to me, "looks like they don't know each other. There's no connection". Totally agree.

When do you say when? Coaches? Players? Board members? U17 then u 20 flameout, now the olders garbage against the Aussies.
It's time cowboy to relieve Jill and her staff including the scouts , cut a handful of girls, fire the board members whom hires go thru. Only then will US start moving forward. I agree with twosoccergirls in the fact that the scouting for player selection is bad; if girls can't play from the back or just launch the ball please just get rid of them.

soccer is not supposed to be a game of domination. It should not be games of 5-0, 6-0, 4-0 games all of the time. The style of play that got us those results doesn't cut it anymore. That was the beginning of women's soccer, which, unfortunately, wasn't as far back as anybody here would like. This change has been going on for years now, and it was a staffing/coaching problem that the USWNT didn't adjust to the game and to the other nations starting to play not just adequate soccer that compete,s but good soccer, and that now that there are countries who overwhelm us in one way (i.e. France, faster AND more technical) or another, I would say we're behind the curve.

The game evolves. That's why it is the beautiful game. That's why UCLA, Stanford, (USC) don't when all the games even though they are probably the top two teams in the conference. It's why UNC doesn't when all the championships anymore. It's why Barca doesn't win all the games, why Real doesn't, why Man U, or Juve doesn't. I agree with many posters who say there is a coaching process and that there are those who should get a call up with our WNT. However, there are those in that lineup, who deserve to be there and are world class players. That cannot be argued.

Having a lot of soccer players and having quality soccer players that can compete at the international level are two different things also.

Nice post but what's your solution?

Nice post but what's your solution?

This is going to be very long, so I apologize, but..

Well, of course, better coaching. But not just at the top level. If US Soccer is going to be putting the money in at the youth international levels, which I've heard some users posting against, basically all other countries have youth national teams. It's a part of their development. The national stage is too much of a jump in talent especially on the women's side. But back to that, they need to focus more on development and creating a good style of play that they want at the full international level. They need to teach those girls patient soccer, but also tactical (i.e start playing more direct in the last 5 minutes of a nil-nil game, possess more toward the end of a 1-0 game). The Girls DA for crying out loud prides itself on less games with more meaningful competition and for scouting for the YNT. Yet, why to the youth national teams play games that end in 15-0, 12-0?? Even though they shouldn't have been playing that game anyway, since they where, why weren't the girls working on playing out of the back as much as possible after IDK 5-0. For these girls, it's not like in the Blowout thread where they could focus more on individual development, but rather team development. Those girls are good passes, try playing some Tiki-Taka, try possession, try new formations. But instead they went in to score as many goals as possible and completely humiliate their opponent. Was it the U16 YNT that went the UEFA development tournament where all players had to play 80 minutes? Do more of those!!

The whole point of the YNT's (like how I said that all other countries have them and use them to develop) is to hopefully prepare these kids to play for the full national team and to prepare them for that level and to teach them what is expected. Also, I think the ECNL has made a major role in the incoming talent lately. While the ECNL has been around for a while, the play has really evolved and forces these girls to play at another level. I would even argue that there are teams in the ECNL who play better than youth national teams 9-10 years ago. So, even with GDA, I think the ECNL will be a major role over the next 5 years and that almost all of the talent will be coming from there. Whether in U-20 call ups, U-23, or the full national team (anything post high school). Like I mentioned before, I firmly believe that soccer, and especially women's soccer for it's relatively young age, is a game that is continually changing and evolving. But that's also from consistency. ECNL has the consistency and the play in it gets better every year. GDA is a brand new league that's supposed to be just as good? Leagues don't just form and put restrictions so that on;y whatever the best clubs are deemed as can play in it and then suddenly it's elite. It doesn't work like that. Has anyone heard of that happening? Not just in soccer, but in anything? Quite honestly I think that it was a poor decision on US Soccer and a representation of someone up there's misunderstanding of the game.

In a nutshell, it starts at the bottom. With the youth. Has anyone noticed that the youth coming in to the YNT are young, creative minds that thrived in the ECNL? It's not even the ECNL part that's important (well it is but I already see some of the posters going against what I said just because of that) but they come from the next generation that formed in an elite environment that forces good soccer. That has good coaches that don't just want to win, but enjoy the game and want their players to play good soccer. It'll take time, especially once GDA gets going because all it does it take promising players from a league that has already proven itself to make good players. Please don't get me wrong, I genuinely hope that the GDA is everything it is supposed to be from Day 1, but it's not realistic.

At the full national team level, I m honestly a fan of calling more players in from the NWSL. I do not agree with the tactics and the decisions she has made with and about those players. For ex, she has given Short more than enough chances to be a player on that team, though I have seen nothing of her to even say she should be playing at the international level. Something I just thought of, @NoGoal , giving Ellis the benefit of the doubt, maybe she is giving Short an extended run because she knows that there will be time needed for some players to adjust to the international level? With that being said, I would take note that it is also the one position of her call up ees from the NWSL that doesn't really affect goal scoring, literally. Short doesn't help in the attack. I think at all. But anyways, why call up a forward and then have an open position at forward AND NOT PLAY THE FORWARD?!?! LOL. IM SORRY IM JUST SO CONFUSED. If Ellis is going to be spending the next half year, year or whatever experimenting, experiment with the players like she said she was going to. Let players prove themselves and a position on the team.

Okay last of all. Look at the first part of this video. It looks like Ellis hasn't learned at all. She literally just said direct is our identity. They need to stop identifying as strong fast and powerful and just start playing good soccer. It's good to be fast and strong and powerful, but if you can't use those abilities correctly with technical skill we will get nowhere. Seriously, all elite nations are strong fast and powerful. Once again France killed us in all those aspects, but also in the aspect that they were more technical. Much more technical and much better vision and creativity as a whole. More connection. Of course, that's what Ellis tries to stress in the video, however I feel as though she is relying more and more on the players coming in and being individually good and it sounds like she's trying to bring in the style of play rather than develop it.

I love discussion so if anyone wants to reply to a certain part or has a better idea I'd love to hear it. That's the whole point of the board after all, isn't it? :) Also, I'm sorry for any typos

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...-australia-tournament-of-nations-lineup-notes

It's nice to read all of this. Casey Short has not completed a pass- it's embarassing. I do not understand everyone's fascination with Allie Long and Horan either.
I don't anticipate it getting any better as France has already surpassed us technically

This is going to be very long, so I apologize, but..

Well, of course, better coaching. But not just at the top level. If US Soccer is going to be putting the money in at the youth international levels, which I've heard some users posting against, basically all other countries have youth national teams. It's a part of their development. The national stage is too much of a jump in talent especially on the women's side. But back to that, they need to focus more on development and creating a good style of play that they want at the full international level. They need to teach those girls patient soccer, but also tactical (i.e start playing more direct in the last 5 minutes of a nil-nil game, possess more toward the end of a 1-0 game). The Girls DA for crying out loud prides itself on less games with more meaningful competition and for scouting for the YNT. Yet, why to the youth national teams play games that end in 15-0, 12-0?? Even though they shouldn't have been playing that game anyway, since they where, why weren't the girls working on playing out of the back as much as possible after IDK 5-0. For these girls, it's not like in the Blowout thread where they could focus more on individual development, but rather team development. Those girls are good passes, try playing some Tiki-Taka, try possession, try new formations. But instead they went in to score as many goals as possible and completely humiliate their opponent. Was it the U16 YNT that went the UEFA development tournament where all players had to play 80 minutes? Do more of those!!

The whole point of the YNT's (like how I said that all other countries have them and use them to develop) is to hopefully prepare these kids to play for the full national team and to prepare them for that level and to teach them what is expected. Also, I think the ECNL has made a major role in the incoming talent lately. While the ECNL has been around for a while, the play has really evolved and forces these girls to play at another level. I would even argue that there are teams in the ECNL who play better than youth national teams 9-10 years ago. So, even with GDA, I think the ECNL will be a major role over the next 5 years and that almost all of the talent will be coming from there. Whether in U-20 call ups, U-23, or the full national team (anything post high school). Like I mentioned before, I firmly believe that soccer, and especially women's soccer for it's relatively young age, is a game that is continually changing and evolving. But that's also from consistency. ECNL has the consistency and the play in it gets better every year. GDA is a brand new league that's supposed to be just as good? Leagues don't just form and put restrictions so that on;y whatever the best clubs are deemed as can play in it and then suddenly it's elite. It doesn't work like that. Has anyone heard of that happening? Not just in soccer, but in anything? Quite honestly I think that it was a poor decision on US Soccer and a representation of someone up there's misunderstanding of the game.

In a nutshell, it starts at the bottom. With the youth. Has anyone noticed that the youth coming in to the YNT are young, creative minds that thrived in the ECNL? It's not even the ECNL part that's important (well it is but I already see some of the posters going against what I said just because of that) but they come from the next generation that formed in an elite environment that forces good soccer. That has good coaches that don't just want to win, but enjoy the game and want their players to play good soccer. It'll take time, especially once GDA gets going because all it does it take promising players from a league that has already proven itself to make good players. Please don't get me wrong, I genuinely hope that the GDA is everything it is supposed to be from Day 1, but it's not realistic.

At the full national team level, I m honestly a fan of calling more players in from the NWSL. I do not agree with the tactics and the decisions she has made with and about those players. For ex, she has given Short more than enough chances to be a player on that team, though I have seen nothing of her to even say she should be playing at the international level. Something I just thought of, @NoGoal , giving Ellis the benefit of the doubt, maybe she is giving Short an extended run because she knows that there will be time needed for some players to adjust to the international level? With that being said, I would take note that it is also the one position of her call up ees from the NWSL that doesn't really affect goal scoring, literally. Short doesn't help in the attack. I think at all. But anyways, why call up a forward and then have an open position at forward AND NOT PLAY THE FORWARD?!?! LOL. IM SORRY IM JUST SO CONFUSED. If Ellis is going to be spending the next half year, year or whatever experimenting, experiment with the players like she said she was going to. Let players prove themselves and a position on the team.

Okay last of all. Look at the first part of this video. It looks like Ellis hasn't learned at all. She literally just said direct is our identity. They need to stop identifying as strong fast and powerful and just start playing good soccer. It's good to be fast and strong and powerful, but if you can't use those abilities correctly with technical skill we will get nowhere. Seriously, all elite nations are strong fast and powerful. Once again France killed us in all those aspects, but also in the aspect that they were more technical. Much more technical and much better vision and creativity as a whole. More connection. Of course, that's what Ellis tries to stress in the video, however I feel as though she is relying more and more on the players coming in and being individually good and it sounds like she's trying to bring in the style of play rather than develop it.

I love discussion so if anyone wants to reply to a certain part or has a better idea I'd love to hear it. That's the whole point of the board after all, isn't it? :) Also, I'm sorry for any typos

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...-australia-tournament-of-nations-lineup-notes

This is going to be really short, so I apologize if I appear abrupt.

We need to stop pretending that strong, fast, and powerful cannot be "good soccer".

We need to stop pretending that strong, fast, and powerful cannot be "good soccer".

I didn't say that it can't be, I'm saying that there needs to be more to the play than that. Quote below

It's good to be fast and strong and powerful, but if you can't use those abilities correctly with technical skill we will get nowhere. Seriously, all elite nations are strong fast and powerful. Once again France killed us in all those aspects, but also in the aspect that they were more technical.

They aren't strong and fast and powerful. Casey Short can't complete a pass.
The only one who qualifies as a stallion is Lynn Williams.
The others also seem so mentally weak to me. People also need to let the love of Press and Krieger GO AWAY!

Back