USSDA OR ODP ?

Apples to Oranges.

USSDA is a 10 month program; training 3-4x a week, playing games for 30 weekend plus the showcases.

ODP/Pro+ is scrimmages, couple camps, small bits of training, and maybe some limited competition vs other state association ODP's that takes place once in spring, summer camp, and a few comps mix in later in the year

At these young ages exposure to college coaches or other scouts is not really all that relative in either program.

Both are potential opportunities to represent one's state or club in competition. Lot more opportunities in USSDA because not only can you play for your club and get good competition but there are national training camps, pools, and sometimes teams to get called into for those.

They only charge for their camps that you can "sign up" for. Invitees attend their own camp for free.

ODP is not free, but Cal South does subsidize it because of the Nike sponsorship.

Cal South has summer and winter camps that anyone can sign up for, attend and they cost money.

ODP is completey different. Players are selected and invited to attend the ODP tryout. The tryout costs $100. If the player makes the final team, ODP will host a specific summer and winter residential camp just for the ODP team and that cost around $100-$150 for each camp.

ODP is not free, but Cal South does subsidize it because of the Nike sponsorship.

Cal South has summer and winter camps that anyone can sign up for, attend and they cost money.

ODP is completey different. Players are selected and invited to attend the ODP tryout. The tryout costs $100. If the player makes the final team, ODP will host a specific summer and winter residential camp just for the ODP team and that cost around $100-$150 for each camp.

Can you be on a DA team and do ODP?

ODP is completly different. Players are selected and invited to attend the ODP tryout. The tryout costs $100. If the player makes the final team, ODP will host a specific summer and winter residential camp just for the ODP team and that cost around $100-$150 for each camp.

Yeah this is a much better explanation... but aren't the fees only made 2x times a year, of $100-150, at the beginning of winter and at the beginning of summer to cover the camps and stuff throughout that season? That's what I meant by free, I was just lazy and didn't mention the season fees. So, ultimately, I guess I just shouldn't have said free, my bad :rolleyes:

Yeah this is a much better explanation... but aren't the fees only made 2x times a year, of $100-150, at the beginning of winter and at the beginning of summer to cover the camps and stuff throughout that season? That's what I meant by free, I was just lazy and didn't mention the season fees. So, ultimately, I guess I just shouldn't have said free, my bad :rolleyes:

The fees are (or at least were in our time) more like earnest money, just to make the families feel like they had a stake in the program. And you get stuff (uniforms, backpack, t-shirts, etc) that cement the commitment from the other end. To tell the truth - I still use and wear some of my son's ODP gear from 2008-9.

The fees are (or at least were in our time) more like earnest money, just to make the families feel like they had a stake in the program. And you get stuff (uniforms, backpack, t-shirts, etc) that cement the commitment from the other end. To tell the truth - I still use and wear some of my son's ODP gear from 2008-9.
Hoffman said that the fees for the Ojai residential training camp and the overnight tournaments technically are designated as meal fees, but are mostly to make sure kids are committed. At least for Ojai, it's easy to see the subsidy and why these ODP teams couldn't be classified as money-making ventures. If you go to the public ODP camp, it costs $625 for a week of residential camp, living in the dorms, eating meals etc. If you go to the invitation-only ODP camp for the kids selected for the team, it's a $125 meal fee. So, it's a $500 subsidy.

Now, if you think they use the ODP team to entice parents to send their kids to the public ODP camps expecting their kids to impress and therefore make the ODP team the following selection period, then I suppose the team has a money-making aspect to it. Seems a stretch, though, and it's certainly not money coming from the kids who make the team. If anything, the camp revenue + the Nike sponsorship help to sustain the ODP team/pay the ODP coaches and scouts, so it's the public campgoers who help to subsidize the kids who make the team.

Hoffman said that the fees for the Ojai residential training camp and the overnight tournaments technically are designated as meal fees, but are mostly to make sure kids are committed. At least for Ojai, it's easy to see the subsidy and why these ODP teams couldn't be classified as money-making ventures. If you go to the public ODP camp, it costs $625 for a week of residential camp, living in the dorms, eating meals etc. If you go to the invitation-only ODP camp for the kids selected for the team, it's a $125 meal fee. So, it's a $500 subsidy.

Now, if you think they use the ODP team to entice parents to send their kids to the public ODP camps expecting their kids to impress and therefore make the ODP team the following selection period, then I suppose the team has a money-making aspect to it. Seems a stretch, though, and it's certainly not money coming from the kids who make the team. If anything, the camp revenue + the Nike sponsorship help to sustain the ODP team/pay the ODP coaches and scouts, so it's the public campgoers who help to subsidize the kids who make the team.

Both of my boys went to the San Diego version of the ODP summer day camp one year- just another camp as far as I could tell. We got report cards from the coaches at the end of the camp, which is a nice deal, but they didn't seem to reflect the reality of what I saw happening on the field.

ODP does very little training. USSDA is the way to go. My 04 went last year and made the final round. All the DA kids invited had to leave, you can't do both.

At the sessions we attended the only training took place after you made the final cut and then it was only 1-3 sessions....

ODP asks parents to pay the low fees so that families have a "buy in'. The minimal costs is so you commit, when you have a little money in the game you are more likely to show up...when it was truly free families would no show according to Hoffman.

USSDA for training hands down.

Back