USMNT head coach...

my two cents is that having academy be birth year, and non-academy be essentially the school year, we had a unique situation in the US where we had two set of kids benefitting from relative age effect.

With the academy/birthyear req, kids born from Jan to March-ish benefit, and with the non-academy/school year cut req, kids born from Aug thru Oct-ish benefited.

Now, with birth year as the universal req across all soccer, just the Jan thru March-ish kids will benefit from RAE.

The math seems simple. We/Klinnsmann effectively reduced our player pool by 1/2 moving forward. Seems like self-inflicted wound that could have been avoided.

CHICAGO (Dec. 20, 2018) – With his first opportunity to set the tone and direction of the program, U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Gregg Berhalter has called 27 players to Chula Vista, Calif., for the annual January Camp. The group will report Jan. 6 to the Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Center, with one additional player to be added prior to the start of camp.

The camp and matches mark the first for Berhalter since being named head coach in December. The U.S. opens the 2019 campaign against Panama on Jan. 27 at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Ariz.

“In putting together this domestic-based roster, we started with a number of players who we think can be a core part of the group moving forward. We then looked at players that excelled this year in Major League Soccer, and finally chose players that can play a specific role in our game model,” Berhalter said. “We are very excited to start to implement our ideas about the style of play and the culture we want to develop in the National Team.”

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...315yeyTRDDCUZ8o33zQbxAWLTudlixnjQS3bd8EDTYG1w

The JAN camp is typically heavy with the MLS players but this is almost the Bruce Arena type deal but that's they way it goes since the international clubs are in season and they don't necessarily release players for this. Guess we will have to wait for the international window in March to see Pulisic, McKennie,, etc. Until then MLS vs Costa Rica & Panama i suppose,

January camp set for an all MLS team.
The Euro players are on break then.
Can’t we start with the core players and build around them? Get our core team playing together!
We are already a year behind and he’s going with the MLS players that had a good season - whoop de doo.... MLS players props.
This is a stupid move already....
We play CONCACAF friendlies with our
MLS squad, including “pass back” Bradley- OMG, he cant play a ball forward
I certainly hope this turns out better than it looks right now on paper.

Why is Bradley there? You'd think he would start to say "No thanks. I'm not getting any better and the vast majority of fans hate me because of my performance in TnT."

Bradley wasn’t any better when they brought him in the past
2 games in 2018.
Has been.......
BUT still gets my vote for favorite goal against Mexico
Chip the keeper - all time classic in a Classico

Back