Two Teams With Same Coach in Same Tournament Bracket

Woodwork

SILVER ELITE
And the twist is that the two teams will play each other in one of the last matches of bracket play, leaving the coach with the ability to swing 3 points either way and goal differential. Tournament is fairly close and it looks like, if the coach wanted to, that coach could manipulate points and goal differential into a trip to the finals for one of his teams. These two teams are also close enough in quality that it would be something of a toss-up in a fair match.

How should the coach handle it?
How should the tournament handle it (or have handled it earlier)?
How should the other teams handle it?

And the twist is that the two teams will play each other in one of the last matches of bracket play, leaving the coach with the ability to swing 3 points either way and goal differential. Tournament is fairly close and it looks like, if the coach wanted to, that coach could manipulate points and goal differential into a trip to the finals for one of his teams. These two teams are also close enough in quality that it would be something of a toss-up in a fair match.

Which tournament and bracket?

Many moons ago this happened in a league game when my daughter played for West Coast FC. It was the last game that she played for West Coast. If the club doesn’t care enough to provide another coach in this situation then they really don’t care about either team.

For my family it was the straw that broke the camels back and was a clear sign that she needed to move to another team.

My kids were in the situation once where their team faced another from the same club in a league game where the loser was likely to be relegated (remember promotion and relegation?). By the end of the game the coaches were no longer friends, and one of them moved his team to a different club the next year.

My kids were in the situation once where their team faced another from the same club in a league game where the loser was likely to be relegated (remember promotion and relegation?). By the end of the game the coaches were no longer friends, and one of them moved his team to a different club the next year.

I miss the simplicity of CSL. If Sparks (God rest his soul) had made the deal with the ECNL clubs all of this splintered nonsense might never have happened in SoCal.

I miss the simplicity of CSL. If Sparks (God rest his soul) had made the deal with the ECNL clubs all of this splintered nonsense might never have happened in SoCal.

My boys were playing when it looked like CSL would eat the world, but GS had good reasons to stop at the San Diego County line.

i had that happen once. coach sat between the benches and made subs for both teams, but let the kids play without yelling at them.

I was in the same situation. It was actually a joy to be a part of. I hate tourneys and trophies are meaningless but something has to go up on all the wifeys’ facebooks, so let’s get mad about it.

Tourney probably could have controlled it better but if it’s the only flight then it is what it is.

Now if you tell me team B has to be Team A 3-0 and get 10 PTs for both teams to advance, and team A has been rolling the other teams, that’s unfortunate.

In the end, after league play begins next week. Nobody will care who won or lost.

Different coaches but they train together sometimes and know each other pretty well, several friends mixed between the two and both coaches are friends.

After 5 games they both win there semi final and meet in the final. Game goes to PK and ends after the 16 pk after everyone converts but the last one on a finger save that defelcts off post and out.

One of best games I've seen and there was no losers that day, at the ceremony both teams got together and we're presented at the same time and the MVP award and ball went to the opposing finalist player. Was exhausted and my players needed days to recover but most of those boys are still friends today and root for each other

I was in the same situation. It was actually a joy to be a part of. I hate tourneys and trophies are meaningless but something has to go up on all the wifeys’ facebooks, so let’s get mad about it.

Tourney probably could have controlled it better but if it’s the only flight then it is what it is.

Now if you tell me team B has to be Team A 3-0 and get 10 PTs for both teams to advance, and team A has been rolling the other teams, that’s unfortunate.

In the end, after league play begins next week. Nobody will care who won or lost.
The game I had was a final
Meaningless really younger girls teams and all them knew each other and I think trained together
It was really cool actually

Many moons ago this happened in a league game when my daughter played for West Coast FC. It was the last game that she played for West Coast. If the club doesn’t care enough to provide another coach in this situation then they really don’t care about either team.

For my family it was the straw that broke the camels back and was a clear sign that she needed to move to another team.
A league game would be different and I understand your point. But In a tournament I don’t see it as a big deal

Interestingly, the coach had this opportunity and took the high road. His two teams battled it out and the winning team, with only pride on the line, beat the other team, ruling out advancement to the final for the other team. I now have a huge amount of respect for that coach.

This happened to me. Two teams, balanced rosters. Same tournament, different brackets. Team A wins it's bracket. Team B takes second to set up the match. Had an AC handle one team and a Guest Coach handle the other. I was reduced to watching by myself in the corner, rooting for both knowing only one could win. Team A, thought to be the weaker team by some, jumps out to a 1-0 lead in the first and through into the second. Team B. knocking on the door all day long is finally let in 6 minutes to play 1-1. A quick check of the rules says straight to PK. But there would be no need. 1 minutes left there is a foul at the corner of the 18. Free kick is swung in and volleyed into the side panel....by Team B. 2-1, final. Glad I didn't have to coach that one. I ended up catching all three goals on video. So, if this coaching thing doesn't work out there is always videographer.

I agree with this. Not ideal situation, but not the end of the world so long as the above is followed and there's no clear score agreements...... which is hopefully very rare.

Back