Turning Pro at 13

Based on our personal experience and the several other players that we know that have participated over the years

Based on our personal experience and the several other players that we know that have participated over the years

I think the framework could be great. And for a while it was really good up our way - not for scouting but for concentrating talent for training on a periodic basis. If US Soccer wanted to implement a national curriculum and reach a broad base (worthwhile since kids develop at different rates), this framework would be ideal. It would be a way to continue to develop kids who don’t play DA for whatever reason.

From the training centers, kids are selected to participate in the training center combine. Kids get camp invites following the combine. If your kid doesn't perform well in the training centers, then, yes, it goes nowhere because your kid doesn't get invited to the combine. I'm guessing your kid or the players that you know were not invited to the combine.

it is true - I do not share details about my player because I like to respect her privacy but we have the experience to back up what I am saying. It doesn’t mean others have the same experience but it is factually correct

it is true - I do not share details about my player because I like to respect her privacy but we have the experience to back up what I am saying. It doesn’t mean others have the same experience but it is factually correct
I apologize, you are correct. The facts of your experience are accurate, but to apply those facts as you have in such a broad, definitive manner is what is inaccurate.

Agree to see things differently. We can both be right...

Now that shes been paid and labeled a "professional" can the parents take an insurance policy out to protect her potential earnings from injury?

Don’t need to be a professional for that - elite college football and basketball players often have them and they are not, cough, pros.

The question is what would the premium be and what would her future earnings be? Even if she’s the best player in the world, her income might be a fraction of what one of these baseball 1st round draft picks sign for. Just because she might earn as a pro, it might not be so much as to justify an insurance policy for enormous premium payments.

the training centers used to actually be training centers where US coaches would work with all the players on drills etc to help them improve. players from all clubs were invited. now they are just an 11v11 scrimmage, with very little input. and yes, they are the first step in the pipeline for identification for the youth national teams. but as US soccer prioritizes player choices from DA clubs then those teams become another political pawn at the expense of deserving players. i.e., players from ECNL clubs who should be considered but are not. That said, with large % of the players on youth national teams suffering major injuries (eg, torn ACLs), it may be a blessing in disguise for these overlooked players to just focus on their game, school, and development for when it really matters--when they're 18-23yrs old.

...and contrast the above with the Canadian EXCEL Centres where u14-u18 players train year round on a regional basis with a national curriculum and from those regional centres, they can be invited to a national centre. These are not one session for a couple hours once every few months. They are year-long commitments. No clubs.

But getting back to the point...an '05 getting 12 goals in 21 games while playing up 3 years(!) (and I know her, she's a midfielder not a forward) is no joke and clearly keeping true to her path of becoming a world-class player.
Time will tell, as always, but she's on target.

People keep saying she is playing up 3 years - she is on a 16/17 team and most of the teams have an equal amount of ‘03’s on those teams so technically she is playing up 2 years not 3 - Like you said, time will tell...

As I have mentioned before, I know several players that were superstars at 12, 13, 14 years old and ended up falling flat or even quitting soccer despite their early success

For those who don't want to click through:

U.S. U-16 GNT ROSTER BY POSITION – NETHERLANDS TRAINING CAMP:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Nona Reason (San Diego Surf; San Clemente; Calif.), Teagan Wy (West Coast FC; Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (6): Elise Evans (San Jose Earthquakes; Redwood City, Calif.), Kayleigh Herr (NC Courage; Cary, NC), Elle Piper (San Jose Earthquakes; San Jose, Calif.), Evelyn Shores (Tophat; Atlanta, Ga.), Maggie Taitano (San Diego Surf; Carlsbad, Calif.), Gisele Thompson (Real So Cal; Studio City, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Sydney Becerra (Solar SC; Lewisville, Tx.), Danielle Davis (FC Fury NY; Port Washington), Juliauna Hayward (Real Colorado; Thornton, Colo.), Peyton Marcisz (San Jose Earthquakes; San Jose), Olivia Moultrie (Portland Thorns FC; Portland, Ore.)

FORWARDS (7): Ella Eggleston (Lonestar Academy; Austin, Tx.), Mia Minestrella (Beach FC; Redondo Beach, Calif.), Katherine Rader (Weston FC; Stuart, Fla.), Julia Saunicheva (San Jose Earthquakes; Santa Clara, Calif.), Jaedyn Shaw (FC Dallas; Frisco, Tex.), Alyssa Thompson (Real So Cal; Studio City, Calif.), Alivia Uribe (Reign Academy; Seattle, Wash.)

For those who don't want to click through:

U.S. U-16 GNT ROSTER BY POSITION – NETHERLANDS TRAINING CAMP:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Nona Reason (San Diego Surf; San Clemente; Calif.), Teagan Wy (West Coast FC; Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (6): Elise Evans (San Jose Earthquakes; Redwood City, Calif.), Kayleigh Herr (NC Courage; Cary, NC), Elle Piper (San Jose Earthquakes; San Jose, Calif.), Evelyn Shores (Tophat; Atlanta, Ga.), Maggie Taitano (San Diego Surf; Carlsbad, Calif.), Gisele Thompson (Real So Cal; Studio City, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Sydney Becerra (Solar SC; Lewisville, Tx.), Danielle Davis (FC Fury NY; Port Washington), Juliauna Hayward (Real Colorado; Thornton, Colo.), Peyton Marcisz (San Jose Earthquakes; San Jose), Olivia Moultrie (Portland Thorns FC; Portland, Ore.)

FORWARDS (7): Ella Eggleston (Lonestar Academy; Austin, Tx.), Mia Minestrella (Beach FC; Redondo Beach, Calif.), Katherine Rader (Weston FC; Stuart, Fla.), Julia Saunicheva (San Jose Earthquakes; Santa Clara, Calif.), Jaedyn Shaw (FC Dallas; Frisco, Tex.), Alyssa Thompson (Real So Cal; Studio City, Calif.), Alivia Uribe (Reign Academy; Seattle, Wash.)

So not one kid from an ECNL team or non-DA team was selected? That's lame.

Back