Turning Pro at 13

Discussion in 'SoCalScene' started by sdb, Feb 25, 2019.

1. espola

espola Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +5,023 / 219
    The real news about a 13-year-old girl giving up any chance at amateur or college soccer so her parents could stroke their egos was over in a week. This thread then became a dump for people with axes to grind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. SoccerFan4Life

SoccerFan4Life Silver

Ratings:
    +299 / 10
    LOL! Love the RIP picture. So how is this Olivia Moultrie doing so far this season at the pro level? I am wondering if other youth players will follow. I believe the salaries are close to $19k for the women's league so not sure why one would want to go pro other than love for the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MakeAPlay

MakeAPlay Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +6,095 / 92
    She isn’t a pro. She got money to appear in a commercial. At this point she couldn’t even compete at the D1 level. This is all a marketing ploy by Nike that is pretty much a Hail Mary. If she succeeds then great they get some publicity. If not they didn’t invest much and they generated some buzz.

I hope that she succeeds.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Soccer43

Soccer43

Ratings:
    +884 / 22
    She is playing in the DA with the Portland Thorns U16/17 team. I would think she would at least want to try her hand in the WPSL this season - they don’t have an age restriction as I know 15 and 16 year olds that have been rostered. It is unfortunate that she gave up her college scholarship and left so Cal to play on a lower ranked team in the DA. Not sure that provides a better training atmosphere than Beach in the Southwest division

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. MakeAPlay

MakeAPlay Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +6,095 / 92
    Marketing. Beach has some excellent coaches so it is definitely confusing. It will really suck for her if LAFC gets an NWSL team.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Soccer43

Soccer43

Ratings:
    +884 / 22
    Yes, every parent has to guide their child in the way they think is best but for mine, I would never have chosen this path

7. espola

espola Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +5,023 / 219
    They had enough money to build a practice field in their back yard and hire an every-day personal coach, so what was left?

I hope for the girl's sake that they didn't just do this for publicity to boost their home-based business.

8. oh canada

oh canada Bronze

Ratings:
    +169 / 6
    13yr old is old news...i don't care nor need to follow her month to month progress. Nike will guarantee she gets a shot at the USWNT, even if not deserved by her play. That book is already written. Frankly, the kids I know would never consider a home-schooled girl with a private coach on salary since 6yrs old, a $100K practice field in her yard, and parents who promote/manage her full-time, an inspiring role model. Crystal Dunn/Carli Lloyd she is not.

As for the other topic in this thread. Despite the awful history of how it became so, USA now at least deserves credit for being the Diversity Experiment of the World. No other country on this planet (Canada not even close) has such a diverse group of citizens (and non-citizens) living together and progressing together. And, I do think most Americans are interested in trying to make things better for all. Since the majority of Americans don't even have a passport, it's unlikely they have personal experience with the homogeny in other countries around the globe.

In the daily headlines I read about the worst racists in this country, but when I'm sitting on the soccer sideline, I know this is the only place in the world where kids and adults with family lineages from all over the world enjoy playing together and supporting one another. And that should count for something.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. MakeAPlay

MakeAPlay Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +6,095 / 92
    I have yet to meet a close minded Canadian. I meet close minded Americans every day. Most European countries are no cup of tea when it comes to immigration. Believe it or not a lot of the liberal European democracies are actually Constitutional Monarchies. I would choose the USA over anywhere (especially Hawaii) but we are far from an idyllic place. My wife’s grandmother who is 94 has a sign in her guest bathroom that reminds me of that every time I go to her house.

The sign reads “Coloreds only.” It is a stark reminder of how far we have come yet how much farther we have yet to go.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. outside!

outside! Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +1,923 / 39
    We have a long way to go, but we are very diverse. Unfortunately we are also very segregated. At least soccer brings kids form different neighborhoods together.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MakeAPlay

MakeAPlay Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +6,095 / 92
    Sports in general bring us together as Americans. I know that there is very little I agree with @Sheriff Joe on but we can both cheer for the Dodgers/Angels.

My best friend’s dad used to be the CEO of Matson Shipping my dad was a Marine. Two very different backgrounds but we were teammates in college and have been best friends since we were both 19.

Sports are awesome for bringing us all together.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Just A Dad

Just A Dad Bronze

Ratings:
    +54 / 1
    I think sports in general does that

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Supermodel56

Supermodel56 Bronze

Ratings:
    +204 / 11
    Agreed and hoping we can all start to align on our own culture so we can thrive and unify to make progress. The fighting, arguing, name calling, hate, agendas, etc... just tired of it. We need to align on something and there’s going to need to be give and take. Appreciate the post.