Turning Pro at 13

What lies? What race baiting?
I think this is how the movement really got going.

"Hands up, don't shoot", or simply "hands up", is a slogan and gesture that originated after the August 9, 2014 shooting of Michael Brown. The slogan was adopted at protests against police violence. Witness reports differed as to what Brown was doing with his hands when he was shot to death, with one claiming he had his hands in the air. That witness subsequently recanted his account. A United States Department of Justice investigation, under the leadership of U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, found this claim inconsistent with the physical and forensic evidence and witness testimony.[1]

So, the best players are all about social justice?
Why does the USWNT have everyone stand for the National Anthem?
Why isn't kapernick playing in the NFL?

Most Americans don't agree with their issues.
I believe MAP was just trying to say, the girls are not just about soccer but have many interests and have well rounded lives outside of soccer. You chose to key on a couple of words, so this one is on you. If you want to have a discussion about social issues involved with sports make a new thread.

Are you scared for your life when you see the cops? I am.
Has anyone in your family been castrated and lynched for dating a white girl (1992)? My cousin did.
Have you ever experienced busing to integrate schools? I have.
Has your school bus ever been turned around because skinheads’ were protesting blacks at your high school (1992 Port St. Lucie, FL)? Mine has.
Have you ever attempted to go downtown with your grandma but couldn’t because the Klan was marching (Greensboro NC/Danville VA late 80’s early 90’s). I have.
Have you had the cops called on you for going into your house because you look like you don’t belong. I have and professor Skip Gates at Harvard.
Did you get called boy so much as a kid, that you thought boy was your nickname. I did.

You gotta do better sheriff. Any by the way, most African-Americans are biracial to varying degrees. It’s just the “one drop rule” is still in full effect and we are not accepted. Have you ever wondered why Obama was not considered a white man? After all, he was raised by his white mother and grandma. I would argue he is more culturally white than black because of his upbringing. However he was “tainted” with African blood so, he can never be a part of your club.
It must be great to stick your head in the sand and reap the benefits of white male privilege.
My hope for you is that your daughter falls in love with an African American man and that you have African American grandkids. I bet you’d get it then.

Are you scared for your life when you see the cops? I am.
Has anyone in your family been castrated and lynched for dating a white girl (1992)? My cousin did.
Have you ever experienced busing to integrate schools? I have.
Has your school bus ever been turned around because skinheads’ were protesting blacks at your high school (1992 Port St. Lucie, FL)? Mine has.
Have you ever attempted to go downtown with your grandma but couldn’t because the Klan was marching (Greensboro NC/Danville VA late 80’s early 90’s). I have.
Have you had the cops called on you for going into your house because you look like you don’t belong. I have and professor Skip Gates at Harvard.
Did you get called boy so much as a kid, that you thought boy was your nickname. I did.

You gotta do better sheriff. Any by the way, most African-Americans are biracial to varying degrees. It’s just the “one drop rule” is still in full effect and we are not accepted. Have you ever wondered why Obama was not considered a white man? After all, he was raised by his white mother and grandma. I would argue he is more culturally white than black because of his upbringing. However he was “tainted” with African blood so, he can never be a part of your club.
It must be great to stick your head in the sand and reap the benefits of white male privilege.
My hope for you is that your daughter falls in love with an African American man and that you have African American grandkids. I bet you’d get it then.
I am not here to put down or diminish anyone's struggle, but I think there is a right way to go about it and making up stories is not the way.
Like MAP said white boys can't identify and I am ok with that, but I can still have an opinion.

I am not here to put down or diminish anyone's struggle, but I think there is a right way to go about it and making up stories is not the way.
Like MAP said white boys can't identify and I am ok with that, but I can still have an opinion.
White boys can identify if they want. People like you choose ignorance because it’s to your benefit. I’m asking you to acknowledge the problem and be a patriot and fight for equality and turn our great nation into a meritocracy.
I think you and others are upset about the “kneeling” because it forces you and others to see what you don’t want to see.
Oh yeah, since you don’t agree with kneeling, I’m all ears if you have a better solution. I’m a veteran and I feel proud every time I see a young athlete kneel because it gives me hope that more privileged white males like you will understand and take action so that my kids and grandchildren aren’t subjected to the same bigotry that I was.
So, if you don’t like the kneeling, get off your ass and fight for equality and miss me with that lame ass game about what a white boy can’t understand.

White boys can identify if they want. People like you choose ignorance because it’s to your benefit. I’m asking you to acknowledge the problem and be a patriot and fight for equality and turn our great nation into a meritocracy.
I think you and others are upset about the “kneeling” because it forces you and others to see what you don’t want to see.
Oh yeah, since you don’t agree with kneeling, I’m all ears if you have a better solution. I’m a veteran and I feel proud every time I see a young athlete kneel because it gives me hope that more privileged white males like you will understand and take action so that my kids and grandchildren aren’t subjected to the same bigotry that I was.
So, if you don’t like the kneeling, get off your ass and fight for equality and miss me with that lame ass game about what a white boy can’t understand.
I hate to tell you, but most of America agrees with me on the kneeling.
Do you think our country isn't making progress on the racial divide?
What is your opinion on the smolette ordeal?

I hate to tell you, but most of America agrees with me on the kneeling.
Do you think our country isn't making progress on the racial divide?
What is your opinion on the smolette ordeal?
I hate to tell you most of America used to consider African Americans 3/5 of a person. I hate to tell you most of America agreed with the implementation of the “black codes” after the abolition of slavery. I hate to tell you most of America supported segregation etc. etc. So, why are we talking about what the majority thinks when we are talking about the complaints of a disenfranchised minority group?
I’m not talking about a racial divide because there is only one race and that is the human race. However, I’m talking about equality for all.
I haven’t followed the Smolette ordeal but from the little that I’ve heard, I think he’s an idiot.

I hate to tell you most of America used to consider African Americans 3/5 of a person. I hate to tell you most of America agreed with the implementation of the “black codes” after the abolition of slavery. I hate to tell you most of America supported segregation etc. etc. So, why are we talking about what the majority thinks when we are talking about the complaints of a disenfranchised minority group?
I’m not talking about a racial divide because there is only one race and that is the human race. However, I’m talking about equality for all.
I haven’t followed the Smolette ordeal but from the little that I’ve heard, I think he’s an idiot.
Cool, so it looks we agree on quite a few issues, our country has issues but has made important progress on race.

Back to OM. I played at a decently high level (Pac-12) and had some chances to go overseas after but was ready to hang it up. So my perspective is limited to that scope. As a sports fan and person who is interested in the process, I’m fascinated by her journey and how this will play out.
She’s certainly extremely talented and motivated.
All that to say: I’m glad it’s not my kid.

I think if you have a kid at that level you have to let them shoot their shot. But it doesn’t seem like going pro gives her More than climbing the normal ladder. She could’ve stayed at beach, had friends who were peers and played up for national team and for DA. Is practices with thorns that helpful? Meh? Maybe. Could she have found an equally challenging environment in so cal. Um yep. Go train with Galaxy boys DA. Or LAFC. Is the pressure and limelight of being a pro worth the cost? Doesn’t seem like she’s getting much out of it other than being a unicorn. (I did read in an article she wrote to her younger self that she doesn’t eat junk food or ever sit on the couch and chill. She otherwise seems like a great kid. But that’s crazy. Parents where are you? I’m into health and fitness and all that but that’s nuts. It’s a long way to 20 living like that. And for what? An ice cream run and a Sunday afternoon binging marvel movies won’t derail your career. If they aren’t teaching her that I think that’s insane).

Who knows. It’s a roll of the dice. And I’m glad it’s not my daughter.

@MacDre I am following you now. Keep on educating the dull, preaching the sermon and fighting the fight!

Continued good fortune to you and your family!

Back to OM. I played at a decently high level (Pac-12) and had some chances to go overseas after but was ready to hang it up. So my perspective is limited to that scope. As a sports fan and person who is interested in the process, I’m fascinated by her journey and how this will play out.
She’s certainly extremely talented and motivated.
All that to say: I’m glad it’s not my kid.

I think if you have a kid at that level you have to let them shoot their shot. But it doesn’t seem like going pro gives her More than climbing the normal ladder. She could’ve stayed at beach, had friends who were peers and played up for national team and for DA. Is practices with thorns that helpful? Meh? Maybe. Could she have found an equally challenging environment in so cal. Um yep. Go train with Galaxy boys DA. Or LAFC. Is the pressure and limelight of being a pro worth the cost? Doesn’t seem like she’s getting much out of it other than being a unicorn. (I did read in an article she wrote to her younger self that she doesn’t eat junk food or ever sit on the couch and chill. She otherwise seems like a great kid. But that’s crazy. Parents where are you? I’m into health and fitness and all that but that’s nuts. It’s a long way to 20 living like that. And for what? An ice cream run and a Sunday afternoon binging marvel movies won’t derail your career. If they aren’t teaching her that I think that’s insane).

Who knows. It’s a roll of the dice. And I’m glad it’s not my daughter.

You just gave me a Todd Marinovich flashback... God I hope that she doesn’t end up like he did....

I saw some clips of OM training on Instagram the other day. Damn, that kid has some skill.
I thought I knew some pretty legit 13 year olds, but nothing like the video clips I saw.
I’ve stated before that this pressure on a kid might not be the best, but she is super talented and this might be the right move for her.

So, I am confused. Did all of those females athletes turn pro also? Are they all getting that 6 figure contract? There sure are a lot of youth athletes in that commercial.

Getting paid for appearing in a commercial is not what most young soccer players think of when hearing the phrase "turning pro".

I saw some clips of OM training on Instagram the other day. Damn, that kid has some skill.
I thought I knew some pretty legit 13 year olds, but nothing like the video clips I saw.
I’ve stated before that this pressure on a kid might not be the best, but she is super talented and this might be the right move for her.

Do you have links to any video clips of her in a game?

Do you have links to any video clips of her in a game?
I’d like to see some. I assume that teams scheme to play against her. And if she can’t beat the double/triple team or constant fouling (I assume this happens) I hope she is laying it off to teammates and keeps moving off of the ball to stay involved.

Back