Thoughts on Mexican leagues

Would you encourage your child play in a Mexican league?

• Yes

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Tank

BRONZE
new guy here (to both club soccer and forum posting). I keep hearing about Mexican leagues and was hoping to get more info from y’all.

The competition is good for the most part. It is rough and I initially took my son there to get tough. He has really taken to it well. The conditions are not great but it is cheap and you get to play a lot of soccer. In San Diego the main Mexican league is the City Heights one. They play Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. It is lees than $100 for all three days for the entire year. It is non stop every week of the year. A lot of kids that can't play club will play here on all three days, and they get more soccer than any club that I have been involved in.

Mexican League (Santa Ana) has been great experience for my kid at younger ages. He played indoor and on Sundays, whenever it didn't interfere with his club training or games. Kids and parents were very kind and supportive. Some teams we played were great and some were awful, and so are the fields.
Very low coast to play. However, at U14 it became in issue with over competitive parents. Constant screaming at refs, players, few physical altercations between coaches/parents.

Mexican League (Santa Ana) has been great experience for my kid at younger ages. He played indoor and on Sundays, whenever it didn't interfere with his club training or games. Kids and parents were very kind and supportive. Some teams we played were great and some were awful, and so are the fields.
Very low coast to play. However, at U14 it became in issue with over competitive parents. Constant screaming at refs, players, few physical altercations between coaches/parents.
Agree, the older groups are much rougher. In City Heights they stop at u15 because it gets to crazy.

As noted above, all that matters is the win. This of course leads to bad habits, poor sporsmanship, flops, the dark arts, cheating. Just like the high level pro game.

Zero development, but most kids enjoy it.

I played in the Mexican league in Santa Ana in 1979. I remember that we had to take a dirt road to the field and most of the signs back then were in Spanish. It was good physical competition.

Back