"The Worst of Youth Soccer"

Glad I was not the referee on that game. I hate refereeing a boring game.

The Ambassadors coach's statement sounds like a lot of BS.

Syracuse lost to Carlsbad 6-0 in the first match of group play and needed Carlsbad to beat Ambassadors by 5-0 in order to move on. Perhaps it would be a good idea to post a link to the standings.
http://tournaments.usyouthsoccer.or...-Championships/Schedule/U18-Girls/Division+1/
My advice to Syracuse would be to, 1. Win more games so that you don't rely on the outcome of another game to move on. 2. Have your coach stay on his own sideline instead of screaming at the players and coaches of a game his team was not playing in.

The weather in Frisco is brutally hot. There were many players that have gone down with heat exhaustion. I would have also told the players to take it easy in a game that didn't matter rather than risk injury. Carlsbad could have lost and still moved on as second seed. That is the way tournaments work. If your team needs another team to lose by 5 points in order for your team to move on, don't get your hopes to high.

Glad I was not the referee on that game. I hate refereeing a boring game.

The Ambassadors coach's statement sounds like a lot of BS.

As I understand the situation, Ambassadors were through to the elimination round with a tie, and they played not to lose. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Carlsbad was already in the playoffs and was resting players. They would get first place in the bracket as long as they didn't lose. See above. If they had just laid back and let Ambassadors score one, that would have raised some questions.

Anyone who wants to criticize the behavior of teenagers in this situation should run around in the Texas summer sun for two hours first.

As I understand the situation, Ambassadors were through to the elimination round with a tie, and they played not to lose. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Carlsbad was already in the playoffs and was resting players. They would get first place in the bracket as long as they didn't lose. See above. If they had just laid back and let Ambassadors score one, that would have raised some questions.

Anyone who wants to criticize the behavior of teenagers in this situation should run around in the Texas summer sun for two hours first.

I have! I was in Dallas a couple years ago in 95+ degree weather for three 90 minute games per day. I was back in the Memphis area a couple weeks ago in 90+ degree weather with crazy high humidity and ran four 80 minute games in one day with two centers for 15.7 miles (GPS watch). If my 52 year old ass can run for that far in the miserable heat, those players in Texas should have been able to handle one 90 minute game with substitutions and water breaks. You just have to know how to prepare and hydrate.

I do agree with Outside. Teams should win the games that matter so they don't have to worry about the outcome of another game.

The video link was conveniently removed: http://championships.usyouthsoccer.org/live/ but it was embarassing to watch. The announcer counted 64 consecutive passes completed by one team with no pressure until they voluntarily turned it over. It wasn't a case of just not playing hard because it was hot, it was two teams, standing there, not playing soccer for 90 minutes.

To me, "match fixing" involves some sort of collusion and prior arrangement. I suspect this embarrassing spectacle just sort of happened. I think that the accusation of "Match Fixing" is a little harsh and belittles the problems with the same name that occur in the adult/professional game.

As frustrating as it was to watch and as embarrassing as it must have been for all involved, with the possible exception of the 2 coaches, I suspect that the result of an honestly contested game would have resulted in the same teams advancing. More than anything, this leaves a bad feeling for all 3 teams involved. I don't see how the goal of resting players couldn't have been achieved while putting on a better show. While I haven't looked, I'm sure the players had at least 1 night to rest, anyways. Any team of the caliber involved in that tournament should be able to manage the playing conditions. This was a U18 game, after all; these are young women.

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/us_you..._under-18_girls_ambassadors_vs_carlsbad_game/

US Youth Soccer Statement on Under-18 Girls Ambassadors vs. Carlsbad game

FRISCO, TEXAS (July 30, 2016) — US Youth Soccer takes the issues of fair play and respect for the game very seriously. Following the July 28 game between Carlsbad Elite 97/98 (CA-S) and Ambassadors FC (OH-N), the National Championship Series (NCS) Committee of US Youth Soccer met on Thursday evening to examine the conduct of the coaches and teams, and has reached a determination based on the evidence presented and reviewed.

After meeting with both teams, the Committee found the teams were disrespectful to the game, the competition and US Youth Soccer. The integrity of the National Championships Series Competition is predicated on fair play and sportsmanship by all participants and those ideals were compromised.

Upon completion of a thorough investigation, including interviews with the teams in question and game officials, the NCS Committee did not find sufficient evidence of collusion. However, it determined the coaches may have had a material effect on the outcome of the match. Disciplinary action and monetary fines have been assessed to both teams.

While it supports the disciplinary process of the National Championship Series, the US Youth Soccer Board of Directors is also investigating this matter to determine whether potential violations of US Youth Soccer bylaws occurred, or if the actions of the coaches were adverse to the best interests of soccer or US Youth Soccer.

While each team worked hard on the first two days of play to put themselves in a position to advance, we believe the strategy of the coaches in this game failed their players, the competition and the principles of sportsmanship and fair play.

US Youth Soccer will review its policies and make any necessary alterations to ensure this type of display doesn’t happen in the future.

I think people are smoking weed if they come away with the idea that these teams are "high caliber." If you watch the video you will notice that the players receiving the ball have a poor first touch under no pressure. Also, rarely did you see a one touch pass to a teamate. To be honest, I was more disgusted watching the players technical ability. Carlsbad gets a DA? What a joke that is.

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/us_you..._under-18_girls_ambassadors_vs_carlsbad_game/

US Youth Soccer Statement on Under-18 Girls Ambassadors vs. Carlsbad game

FRISCO, TEXAS (July 30, 2016) — US Youth Soccer takes the issues of fair play and respect for the game very seriously. Following the July 28 game between Carlsbad Elite 97/98 (CA-S) and Ambassadors FC (OH-N), the National Championship Series (NCS) Committee of US Youth Soccer met on Thursday evening to examine the conduct of the coaches and teams, and has reached a determination based on the evidence presented and reviewed.

After meeting with both teams, the Committee found the teams were disrespectful to the game, the competition and US Youth Soccer. The integrity of the National Championships Series Competition is predicated on fair play and sportsmanship by all participants and those ideals were compromised.

Upon completion of a thorough investigation, including interviews with the teams in question and game officials, the NCS Committee did not find sufficient evidence of collusion. However, it determined the coaches may have had a material effect on the outcome of the match. Disciplinary action and monetary fines have been assessed to both teams.

While it supports the disciplinary process of the National Championship Series, the US Youth Soccer Board of Directors is also investigating this matter to determine whether potential violations of US Youth Soccer bylaws occurred, or if the actions of the coaches were adverse to the best interests of soccer or US Youth Soccer.

While each team worked hard on the first two days of play to put themselves in a position to advance, we believe the strategy of the coaches in this game failed their players, the competition and the principles of sportsmanship and fair play.

US Youth Soccer will review its policies and make any necessary alterations to ensure this type of display doesn’t happen in the future.

Let me translate from Bureaucratese to English -- "They didn't break any rules, but we didn't like the result, so we are punishing them anyway".

To me, "match fixing" involves some sort of collusion and prior arrangement. I suspect this embarrassing spectacle just sort of happened. I think that the accusation of "Match Fixing" is a little harsh and belittles the problems with the same name that occur in the adult/professional game.

As frustrating as it was to watch and as embarrassing as it must have been for all involved, with the possible exception of the 2 coaches, I suspect that the result of an honestly contested game would have resulted in the same teams advancing. More than anything, this leaves a bad feeling for all 3 teams involved. I don't see how the goal of resting players couldn't have been achieved while putting on a better show. While I haven't looked, I'm sure the players had at least 1 night to rest, anyways. Any team of the caliber involved in that tournament should be able to manage the playing conditions. This was a U18 game, after all; these are young women.

What are the substitution rules for this tournament at U18?

The video link was conveniently removed: http://championships.usyouthsoccer.org/live/ but it was embarassing to watch. The announcer counted 64 consecutive passes completed by one team with no pressure until they voluntarily turned it over. It wasn't a case of just not playing hard because it was hot, it was two teams, standing there, not playing soccer for 90 minutes.

BUT... If the teens were doing it to protest having to play a 1:30 pm game in the Frisco, TX, heat then good on them! The heat index there right now (same game time) is 109.

Back