The Demise of Youth Team Sports?

Last month I was back home north of the border and heard several times from friends with young kids how they are going to skip team sports (eg, hockey) and have their kids play individual sports instead. Then, last weekend was with a group of friends here in OC who said the same thing. Maybe youth team sports (and all the travel, politics, etc.) is reaching a tipping point? Or, maybe millennial parents are going to value more activity-together time than Gen X-ers? The points I heard are very similar to the article linked below. Must admit, there are some valid considerations.

https://www.backwoodsmama.com/2017/10/5-reasons-why-i-dont-register-my-kids-in-team-sports.html

And that’s why Canada won’t win a war, teach em young...

total sarcasm here. Gotta say the best steak I ever had was an Italian joint in Montreal. And the first time I saw curling.... absolutely riveting.

And that’s why Canada won’t win a war, teach em young...

total sarcasm here. Gotta say the best steak I ever had was an Italian joint in Montreal. And the first time I saw curling.... absolutely riveting.
You know a chef and his kitchen crew are a team.

Last month I was back home north of the border and heard several times from friends with young kids how they are going to skip team sports (eg, hockey) and have their kids play individual sports instead. Then, last weekend was with a group of friends here in OC who said the same thing. Maybe youth team sports (and all the travel, politics, etc.) is reaching a tipping point? Or, maybe millennial parents are going to value more activity-together time than Gen X-ers? The points I heard are very similar to the article linked below. Must admit, there are some valid considerations.

https://www.backwoodsmama.com/2017/10/5-reasons-why-i-dont-register-my-kids-in-team-sports.html[/QUOTE
There are valid points with the counter. But I could not find an article by backwoodsmama.
There are valid points with the counter. But I could not find an article by backwoodsmama.

You are telling me that over involved helicopter parents don't want to expose their kids to what life will be like once they are out of school, shocking!! (Sarcasm font). Team sports are great ways for kids to learn a variety of lessons that will prove invaluable later in life. Teamwork, getting along with people you may not like, you cannot win everything all the time, you may not be as good at something as you thought, winning matters, etc... are all lessons that team sports provide. If you don't want your kid to participate in team sports, so be it. That is an individual parent choice. I just hope that the parent isn't denying their child a chance to learn these lessons due to unresolved issues the parents have. Team sports, individual sports, or no sports at all, find a way to prepare your child for life when you are not around.

You are telling me that over involved helicopter parents don't want to expose their kids to what life will be like once they are out of school, shocking!! (Sarcasm font). Team sports are great ways for kids to learn a variety of lessons that will prove invaluable later in life. Teamwork, getting along with people you may not like, you cannot win everything all the time, you may not be as good at something as you thought, winning matters, etc... are all lessons that team sports provide. If you don't want your kid to participate in team sports, so be it. That is an individual parent choice. I just hope that the parent isn't denying their child a chance to learn these lessons due to unresolved issues the parents have. Team sports, individual sports, or no sports at all, find a way to prepare your child for life when you are not around.
But keep in mind that many individual sports also have a team aspect. Think swimming or track and field, or as the above poster mentioned wrestling, even gymnastics.

A different take than backwoodsmama. A friend of mine was telling me his son recently quit soccer to focus on wrestling. His reason "In socccer, a coach decides if you are any good. In wrestling, I am good if I win. No one else's opinion matters."

There's no comparison to the lessons to be learned in team sports where you must work in unison with others . . . even if you don't particularly like them.

https://www.backwoodsmama.com/2017/10/5-reasons-why-i-dont-register-my-kids-in-team-sports.html
Interesting. And I get the family joint participation angle, but individual sports (like tennis and golf and swimming / diving) have a ton of travel as well and can be hugely competitive.

Interesting. And I get the family joint participation angle, but individual sports (like tennis and golf and swimming / diving) have a ton of travel as well and can be hugely competitive.
A past neighbors kid was a nationally ranked golfer. He traveled heavily across the country and state.

Can all the top soccer girls please go do an individual sport in the next three years so as my dd’s can have a better shot at a scholarship?

i was a competitive swimmer from grade 2 thru college. the camaraderie experienced with my HS soccer team, HS BBall team, and private baseball team was way beyond whatever i gained from being on a (highly successful, multiple nat'l) swim "team." i went out of my way to steer my daughter clear of the "lone wolf" sports. not to mention, no longer having to listen to ceaseless echoes in natatoriums and breathing the endless flow of chlorine makes it that much sweeter.

The wimpification of the american youth. Wow just follows in with millennial thought. No where in our educational system does anything prepare the individual for the real world more than team sports. I'll go to the other end of the spectrum - millennial mommy and daddy don't want little Johnny or Suzy exposed to the harshness of reality. Everyone gets a trophy, there are no winners and losers, don't want someone's feeling hurt. We've been able to have plenty of family time outside of sports. Make the time and quit making excuses. I call bs.

The wimpification of the american youth. Wow just follows in with millennial thought. No where in our educational system does anything prepare the individual for the real world more than team sports. I'll go to the other end of the spectrum - millennial mommy and daddy don't want little Johnny or Suzy exposed to the harshness of reality. Everyone gets a trophy, there are no winners and losers, don't want someone's feeling hurt. We've been able to have plenty of family time outside of sports. Make the time and quit making excuses. I call bs.
What life lessons exactly are taught by team sports teach that you cannot get from individual sports with a team or school clubs/activities? Reliance on others...ok. Remember, I'm a former hockey player and my 3 kids play soccer, so not anti-team sports as the younger parents I heard from are. But I definitely wouldn't say that wrestling, gymnastics, or cross country are "wimpy" sports compared to soccer and football. Just because you have bigger humans playing, doesn't make it a tougher sport. Ever run 400 meters all out sprint? That's about as grueling as grueling gets.

What life lessons exactly are taught by team sports teach that you cannot get from individual sports with a team or school clubs/activities? Reliance on others...ok. Remember, I'm a former hockey player and my 3 kids play soccer, so not anti-team sports as the younger parents I heard from are. But I definitely wouldn't say that wrestling, gymnastics, or cross country are "wimpy" sports compared to soccer and football. Just because you have bigger humans playing, doesn't make it a tougher sport. Ever run 400 meters all out sprint? That's about as grueling as grueling gets.
Sorry not directed at you but rather the article. And the wimpification was directed more towards avoiding situations that are "uncomfortable" that come along with team sports and the real world so lets avoid team sports and do more individual stuff. I don't get it. At the end of the day all team sports come down to the individual. You either handle the puck or not. Its not up to your teammates but you do collectively work as a team. So here is a few: life isn't always fair, success requires sacrifice, how to lead, how to follow, how to win/lose with class, discipline, how to deal with pressure and stress, confidence, perseverance and maybe how to ask for help.

No way not gonna bite on this. Team sports are the best.

5 Reasons Why I Don’t Register My Kids in Team Sports
Mama Bear built her life the way she wanted to and kids have no choice. I have friends who home schooled three kids, none of them had Iphones until 16 years old and they're the most amazing kids I know. However, this Mama Bear say's she gives the kids a choice every year to go public and doesn't go around attacking public schools. I tried to get my boy to play team baseball but Coach Dave was a complete asshole and my kid chose to be #1 video player at his school instead :)

Back