The Brag Thread

With the season starting, this is a thread where parents, coaches, and players can brag about the exploits of their goalkeepers! Inspired by socalkdg's thread about the team getting it about playing with their feet. While discussions on technique or strategy are welcome too, as well as feedback, this is a place for just blatant showing off (no judgement! be as proud as you want!), but not for complaining (there's plenty of other threads around here for that including by yours truly) ;).

Since no one else was willing, I'll hold myself out there and start us off. :rolleyes: My son's GK coach has been bringing him along slowly...focused on mostly catching and basic dive technique the first six months. Just started him on the basics of the extension dive and hasn't really even broken out the parts of it yet (power step, knee extension, arms). He got a little bit of the extension dive at One camp hanging out with the more experienced keepers (who were all really encouraging of him and I saw a video of them loudly clapping the first time he got it right). Well, tournament this weekend and he had three beautiful extension saves for the first time. The first made a shut out possible (only the second shut out he's really earned by saves as opposed to teams not being able to take SOG)...it was way across almost near the post banged from the top of the PK area...power step was weak but the dive itself was otherwise perfect. Second was a rebound save off of a DFK rebound....he got to his feet quickly after the first save and then extended for a secondary save winning the game for his team (since otherwise it would have been a tie). Third was a beautiful save but sadly went to an uncovered striker who nailed it in for the game winning score. Still was amazed to see it, and surprised by the height in his dives given he's only just started with the technique. Very proud!

By the way, thoughts on posting pics of our kid doing something amazing? Blur their face? Don't do it? I had a couple amazing pics from camp a professional photographer got that I'm sure keeper parents would enjoy.

thumbnail
So proud of my daughter here, the girl in white was fouling her all day and the ref was just letting it go. She took it in her own hands to hook the girls neck and bring her down hard. My daughter later did receive a red card. Be careful who you mess with on the field, they could be having a bad day. I was a proud mother that day....:)

thumbnail
So proud of my daughter here, the girl in white was fouling her all day and the ref was just letting it go. She took it in her own hands to hook the girls neck and bring her down hard. My daughter later did receive a red card. Be careful who you mess with on the field, they could be having a bad day. I was a proud mother that day....:)
Picture doesn't show?

By the way, thoughts on posting pics of our kid doing something amazing? Blur their face? Don't do it? I had a couple amazing pics from camp a professional photographer got that I'm sure keeper parents would enjoy.
Some folks have used pics of their kids as profile pictures, but I've always thought I don't want to put my kids' identity out there. Bluring is fine I suppose for most purposes. But there are some questionable people that troll this forum, ya know. Better safe than sorry.

Some folks have used pics of their kids as profile pictures, but I've always thought I don't want to put my kids' identity out there. Bluring is fine I suppose for most purposes. But there are some questionable people that troll this forum, ya know. Better safe than sorry.

I can see no train in your avatar....

You are killing me @pewpew I didn't identify the club this year on the forum for a reason (several actually). All of my posts are in 1 age group. If you still aren't sure, send me a PM and I will reply.
Ha ha..no worries. I totally get it. I just thought maybe we played you. My DD guested with SD Premier G03s for Blues Cup. I don't have her home team/club listed either. ;)

My DD may be a #GiantKeeper but when she was younger she was a gentle giant in situations when the ball was in the air, and it cost her plenty of bumps and bruises. This year she has really flipped the switch when "going up". This was a brutal collision where she got her knee up to protect herself while exposed in the air. She misjudged a bit and was forced to parry away instead of punching but she walked away from the play with something good and something learned.

Amber - Knee to the Throat.jpg

My DD may be a #GiantKeeper but when she was younger she was a gentle giant in situations when the ball was in the air, and it cost her plenty of bumps and bruises. This year she has really flipped the switch when "going up". This was a brutal collision where she got her knee up to protect herself while exposed in the air. She misjudged a bit and was forced to parry away instead of punching but she walked away from the play with something good and something learned.

View attachment 3116
And I bet that forward won't be so quick to charge a keeper next time either.

Back